Subject: Is there a way to modify Walk the Dogs for kindergarten age? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that with some modifications Walk the Dogs could be played by a kindergarten age child. Just wondering if anyone has found a way to do that. The person that offered the review did not say how that it would be accomplished.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not totally sure why it would need to be. I have a kindergarten-age daughter, and she does OK with it. Probably not the most strategic thinker, but I can't recall any particular rule that she couldn't follow. Of course, my kids don't like the Dog Catcher (who takes everyone's longest string of dogs) and so "houserule" it out in most games.

Was there some specific concern you had about the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
I'm not totally sure why it would need to be. I have a kindergarten-age daughter, and she does OK with it. Probably not the most strategic thinker, but I can't recall any particular rule that she couldn't follow. Of course, my kids don't like the Dog Catcher (who takes everyone's longest string of dogs) and so "houserule" it out in most games.

Was there some specific concern you had about the game?

I don't own it. I didn't want to buy it if a three-four year old would have trouble. I know they will need guidance, but I didn't want it to be so much that it was unenjoyable for the child.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, well, maybe 3 or 4 would be a bit too young. At 3, the pieces might end up in a kid's mouth. I think my daughter was 5 when she started playing with it. On the plus side, there's no reading involved, and I don't think there's a great deal of strategy involved. But there may well be better games for that age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen De Chellis
United States
Southbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is there a way to modify Walk the Dogs for kindergarten
I recently used this game as part of an after school program for first, second and third graders. We only had one problem.

The younger children did not like the idea of adding to the front and back of the line. They wanted to group their dogs together in the middle of their line.

The other problem we had was that the boys turned the game into a "my dog is humping your dog" fest.

The game itself is not complicated as it is all based on images. The hard part is getting those sticky fingered kids to leave the dogs alone once they begin building their line of dogs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is there a way to modify Walk the Dogs for kindergarten
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
I read somewhere that with some modifications Walk the Dogs could be played by a kindergarten age child. Just wondering if anyone has found a way to do that. The person that offered the review did not say how that it would be accomplished.

Thanks for any help.

I play with my 4.5 year old son every now and then, and he's been playing for about a year. He has an older sister, so he learns by example. He can't add up his score (which involves adding up lots of numbers), but he can count his line of dogs (for the bone card) and spends time worrying about the dogcatcher.

We pretty much play by the rules as written, and he enjoys it. Depending on age and counting, you could simplify the scoring (perhaps just make it where you only count the longer chains, one point per dog).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this with kids that age a LOT. Basically, you can play as written, For really young kids, or kids who are a little sensitive, omit the dogcatcher and maybe the leash cards. Most game playing 5 YOs could play this as written tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.