Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carpool mate just got a new truck with xm.

On the way to work this morning 90s on 9 went will smith-lightning crashes-everybody dance now-blink 182. Then I lost consciousness.

I get they are covering an entire decade but jeez.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
They have a grunge station called Lithium that might be more what you and your friend think of as '90s music (it is to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "decades" channels are really repetitive and really follow a much narrower curve than "the 90s" would suggest. The Smiths are on constantly, for instance. There are other channels with similar problems (First Wave, whose playlist overlaps the 90s', being one). One day I'll stop blaming the acquisition by Sirius for all of this and stop saying "back in the day, XM was better" (which it most definitely was), but the decades channels have always been shallow.

Lithium's not a bad choice. Alt Nation's pretty good too. I don't mind First Wave but don't like a steady diet of it, in part because I'm not convinced that songs that were bona fide top 40 hits can really be classified as "alternative." Deep Tracks remains pretty good and is quite a bit more off the beaten path. Classic Rewind and Classic Vinyl are decent, but you're never going to hear things you haven't heard many times before. I haven't given The Spectrum much time, but it's defined as "new rock meets classic rock," so maybe it's a little deeper than some channels.

My wife likes The Coffee House, which I've always felt was for people who find The Loft too jarring.

OK, this was all better before the merger. There, I said it. But it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Completely agree. I wish they had the "Deep Tracks" mentality for other genres (although the Soul Town channel seems to be pretty good about playing the occasional obscure song).

Even the XMU channel (college rock) is repetitive and there's no excuse for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking this - I'm more of an 80's guy myself, but found listening to the 80's on 8 for any length of time felt like I was listening to a pretty short song loop... I would think from a whole decade to choose from, there'd be a lot more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.