Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule book says something like "You may play any number of cards" when it talks about movement.

May I play 0 cards and then not move at all?

This question was asked before the published version came out (the answer was that you must move), but since other things changed between versions and the rule book seems to indicate that I don't have to move, I wanted official clarification.

Fwiw, we played where you don't have to move, and it seemed to work fine. I know you lose if one player is not capable of moving, and that happened a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am at work, but it is definitely in the rules, that you MUST move at least one space.

In fact, it is one of the losing conditions: if it is your turn and you cannot perform a move (because you don't have a card, or because it would push you past maximum balance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what if you have a card that would let you move, and there's a space available that would not push you past your balance limits, but you don't want to?

I know about the losing condition.

If it states in the rules that you must move if you can, then I'm not seeing it. I've read the rules several times. Please point it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/114704/central-rule-clari...

This clarifies your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that before I posted, and it has things on there like

Quote:
You must move in a straight line to the next cell. This means that there are many lines on the board which can never be travelled down.

and

Quote:
Both you and your fellow player have an objective

and other things that are not in the published version, so I don't have confidence the other things listed on it are accurate for the published version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica - the other one
Sweden
Strengelbach in Switzerland or Örebro in Sweden
flag msg tools
They are a treasure - I don´t need lots of them...
badge
Yay - Stretch goat!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course there is a difference between "not being able to" and "choosing not to" move. But the game is about the two persons and their process of getting a relationship in balance. One part not doing anything for the relationship would bring a great unbalance to the relationship as I see it. So not taking a turn would be like one partner giving up the joint fight for the relationship and feels like a natural game over for this game given the objective of the game.

The rules doesn't clearly say that you MUST move every turn but it several times states this is a "cooperative game", "the two players must cooperate", "players take their turns one after the other" (and without movement there is no turn taken) which I think clearly indicates the need for both players to move on their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is mandatory to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. I couldn't find it in the rulebook either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean James
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
busdjur wrote:
The rules doesn't clearly say that you MUST move every turn

Maybe I may have a revised printing of the rule book, but on the top of page five it says:

Page 5 of Rulebook wrote:
Each player must move on their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica - the other one
Sweden
Strengelbach in Switzerland or Örebro in Sweden
flag msg tools
They are a treasure - I don´t need lots of them...
badge
Yay - Stretch goat!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ragecage wrote:
busdjur wrote:
The rules doesn't clearly say that you MUST move every turn

Maybe I may have a revised printing of the rule book, but on the top of page five it says:

Page 5 of Rulebook wrote:
Each player must move on their turn.

Different printings sounds reasonable. I backed the game on Kickstarter and received my copy a couple of months ago and I have no such statement in my rulebook but I know there has been more than one printing of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.