Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite the debate we have going here about the fury/feebleness of 3rd edition Dracula.

Now the game's been out a while, I'd be intrigued to get a sense of where the balance of opinion is.

And thus, a humble poll.

Poll
How furious or feeble is Dracula?
Too furious. When he's played well, hunters need house rules to win.
Too feeble. Will mostly lose against smart hunters.
Probably about right. May the best fiend win.
Game hasn't been out long enough to make a judgement.
      151 answers
Poll created by MrMT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based of four plays, my gut feeling is that it's about right. Dracula feels suitably menacing and those power cards can be big if used right, but hunters can definitely use some smart strategies to take him out.

Plus, there's some luck in card draws that can help swing a close game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
NeedsNewDice wrote:
Based of four plays, my gut feeling is that it's about right. Dracula feels suitably menacing and those power cards can be big if used right, but hunters can definitely use some smart strategies to take him out.

Plus, there's some luck in card draws that can help swing a close game.

We've played 4 or 5 times now and Dracula has got punked every time. He feels way too feeble to us, but we're generally a very, very good group at the analysis and deduction parts of playing Hunters. Plus he's made a few mistakes - so have the Hunters, but they he gets 1/8 the amount of actions they do, so one mistake in one action will make up a much higher proportion of his game than one mistake in one action does for the Hunters.

He's varied from losing before the end of week two (in the teaching game, admittedly, which just isn't worth playing given how much it hamstrings him)to making it right through to the start of week 4 by spending a LOT of time at sea before being summarily shot in the head with holy bullets in a planned ambush the night he landed. He's never managed to kill a hunter for us.

I recognise that's not how most people have found it.

But overall, he feels a lot less tough than we would have expected, and perhaps worse, he feels like he has little agency and a LOT of downtime a lot of the time, especially if the Hunters are smart about their supply actions to avoid giving him events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly a lot is riding on the hunters' deductive abilities. Mina's radar is absolutely crucial... Used properly, it's by far the most important hunter ability in the game, and requires constant evasion by Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Csontos
Hungary
Budaörs
Pest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thespaceinvader wrote:

He's varied from losing before the end of week two (in the teaching game, admittedly, which just isn't worth playing given how much it hamstrings him)to making it right through to the start of week 4 by spending a LOT of time at sea before being summarily shot in the head with holy bullets in a planned ambush the night he landed. He's never managed to kill a hunter for us.

I think you could never plan a successful ambush against a properly played Dracula. There is no way the hunters can block all the possible landing places in case he plays Misdirect sometime toward the end of his sea voyage and then lands with Wolf Form. Play the count right, and only a truckload of luck can stop him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csonti wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:

I think you could never plan a successful ambush against a properly played Dracula. There is no way the hunters can block all the possible landing places in case he plays Misdirect sometime toward the end of his sea voyage and then lands with Wolf Form. Play the count right, and only a truckload of luck can stop him.

The ally that inflicts 2 damage per turn at sea becomes pretty crucial in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
csonti wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:

By planned ambush I meant the Hunter event card But we also had managed to narrow down his available movements significantly, he had only 3 possible ports of landing, we each checked one, and he had only 1HP, so...

Clearly we haven't yet played the Count right, I'm getting that impression, and I'm really, really wanting to try him again (and again, and again) until one of us does. But my group is less enthused D:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
thespaceinvader wrote:
Clearly we haven't yet played the Count right, I'm getting that impression, and I'm really, really wanting to try him again (and again, and again) until one of us does. But my group is less enthused D:

Yeah maybe I'm the same, as I haven't experienced the supposedly easy win as Dracula many people talk about.

I managed to win as Dracula last time we played, but it was very close. Hunters nearly killed him in the first week and I was lucky to recover. They were never really more than a step or 2 behind him.

I feel like a lot of the 'Dracula is too strong' comments are based only on some idealist scenario where the hunters get no useful event cards. Those event cards can seriously mess up Dracula's plans, and can very quickly clue the hunters in on his plan without the hunters even having to move.

By day 3 the hunters have usually drawn 8 safe encounter cards giving them around 5 hunter cards. There's a really good chance at least one of those cards will provide very useful information, and having bought train tickets each night they are usually well equipped to start harassing the count and clearing his trail.

But perhaps it's the case I'm still not that good at playing Dracula. Or maybe my teenage 'kids' are particularly good with the hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Csontos
Hungary
Budaörs
Pest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:

I managed to win as Dracula last time we played, but it was very close. Hunters nearly killed him in the first week and I was lucky to recover. They were never really more than a step or 2 behind him.

What was the starting position of the Hunters and where did you place Dracula? How was it possible to nearly kill the count after only a few days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
csonti wrote:
Orion3T wrote:

What was the starting position of the Hunters and where did you place Dracula? How was it possible to nearly kill the count after only a few days?

Rather than explain it here I have written a session report. It should appear shortly, once a mod verifies it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.