Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmodee North America (ANA) which represents provides marketing, sales, and administration for the following publishers Asmodee Publishing, Bombyx, Days of Wonder, Fantasy Flight Games, Libellud, Matagot, Repos Productions, and many others a significant change to to its marketplace structure. Key points being the following:

1) IN STORE SALES ONLY:
Starting April 1st, 2016, authorized distributors of Asmodee North America will be restricted to selling Asmodee North America’s products to those specialty retailers that have agreed to Asmodee North America’s
Specialty Retail Policy. In addition to covering several industry best practices, the policy specifies that participating retailers’ channel of sale for Asmodee North America’s products, will be restricted to consumer
transactions through retailers’ physical retail locations. Selling Asmodee North America product via other channels, such as online, will be prohibited by participating retailers.

2) Yes, some online options will still exist:
ANA will be very selective as to which online merchants will be authorized to sell our products. To qualify as an online merchant, you will need to contribute either significant scale, unique service, or
other exceptional differentiation. Most online sales activities, including sales through third party websites, will not be authorized.

Industry changing?
A plus for all concerned?

What say you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom L
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
April 1 is an odd day to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link with some more info: ICV2

Related quote from the article:

Quote:
New CEO Christian Petersen explained the change in the companies’ online sales policy. “The marketplace has long been distorted by providing one-size-fits-all sales terms to every retail account, regardless of its channel of sale,” he said. “The growth in demand for games over the last decade, in our view, has been fueled not only by fantastic product, but by the support of specialty retailers who incubate personal connections between players, facilitate tournaments and leagues, provide instant product availability, and increasingly provide a ‘third place’ that is instrumental for so many gamers to enjoy and discover our products. The retailer cost of providing such channel services is significant, and so we’re now making policy changes to ensure that the sales terms provided to those retailers, relative to other channels, are positively reflective of the value they add to our distribution chain.”
The growth for my personal demand in board games has had absolutely nothing to do with specialty (which I assume means "offline") retailers, and 100% with convenient access to games via OLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Nelson
United States
Oxford
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife will be overjoyed as this news and size of my collection will be downsized by an order of magnitude now that I can't get these games like 35% off all the time. Goodbye coolstuffinc and Miniature market, it was nice to know you. God bless capitalism and monopolies. This is good for FLGS at least short term till they start to squeeze them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm trying to imagine the board meeting where this was first floated as a good idea --

"Think, people, think! The board game industry is growing like never before, there must be some way we can drive up prices and reduce sales."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
New CEO Christian Petersen explained the change in the companies’ online sales policy. “The marketplace has long been distorted by providing one-size-fits-all sales terms to every retail account, regardless of its channel of sale,” he said. “The growth in demand for games over the last decade, in our view, has been fueled not only by fantastic product, but by the support of specialty retailers who incubate personal connections between players, facilitate tournaments and leagues, provide instant product availability, and increasingly provide a ‘third place’ that is instrumental for so many gamers to enjoy and discover our products. The retailer cost of providing such channel services is significant, and so we’re now making policy changes to ensure that the sales terms provided to those retailers, relative to other channels, are positively reflective of the value they add to our distribution chain.”

Translation: We are nostalgic for the days when gaming in a store was our only option, so we will financially prop up a dying business model to the detriment of our own company and sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Femme Worth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That sounds potentially bad for me. Hopefully the big online stores aren't affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
BlueEdwards wrote:
my wife will be overjoyed as this news and size of my collection will be downsized by an order of magnitude now that I can't get these games like 35% off all the time. Goodbye coolstuffinc and Miniature market, it was nice to know you. God bless capitalism and monopolies. This is good for FLGS at least short term till they start to squeeze them.
Reread the announcement. Online retailers with "significant scale" will be allowed.

So it's fine for MM, CSI, and a few other major online gaming stores. Terrible for smaller online retailers or local stores hoping to expand into the online market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct blow to Amazon obviously. This will be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Nelson
United States
Oxford
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,but there is some agreement they will have to sign...i.e. no more huge markdowns, or ten percent off instead of thirty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Nelson
United States
Oxford
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some how I think amazon will be o.k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yep. We will be paying Mayfair prices for Asmodee games now, I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

I'm trying to imagine the board meeting where this was first floated as a good idea --

"Think, people, think! The board game industry is growing like never before, there must be some way we can drive up prices and reduce sales."

They must of gotten advice from our inept President of the United States.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense for FFG to want this since, yeah, they have a lot going on with retail stores hosting tournaments for a lot of various FFG product. I'm sure a lot of these stores were complaining that people use their shop space to play, but buy the product online.

To keep the tournament scene alive, they need to cater to retail stores (not a dying model in this case). Since it's the tournament scene (and not casual play), that makes people buy multiple copies of an X-Wing miniature.

It could very well be that certain items (Ticket to Ride), will have no change in price at an OLGS, but an LCG or X-Wing miniatures game gets marked up.

Let's face it, even the OLGS are having a tough time with the recent price war (CSI dropping prices very low). An OLGS may very well welcome an across the board pricing scheme to keep everyone on the same page.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bedell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cln777 wrote:

What say you?

What say YOU? I have great concern for you, White Dragon, CLS Games and others that treat customers right at a smaller scale. I hope this doesn't change that equation for all of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if prices go up substantially, this just means that more of my money will go to other publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love hearing kids at Madness in Plano (a game store that took over a grocery store building) talk about how they only buy from Miniature Market, yet they spend hours at tables provided by the store.

Because, you know, Madness doesn't have ANY expenses to cover.

FFG CEO makes a fair point. Local stores provide an invaluable service to their company. It's perfectly reasonable for them to want to see them flourish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Direct blow to Amazon obviously. This will be interesting.

Amazon will be just fine without that portion of our niche market.

Asmodee starts screwing with how I can buy games, I will find other companies to buy from. If Asmodee ends up owning all the major players anyway, I'll just make do with the ridiculous amount of games I own already.

Seriously, Asmodee. Piss off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kokaly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be another boon and boom for Kickstarter. Do designers get paid for each copy sold? If so, less copies sold for higher prices mean less money to designer. Not sure if this is the model.

Edited as I messed up my sentence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChipChuck wrote:
I love hearing kids at Madness in Plano (a game store that took over a grocery store building) talk about how they only buy from Miniature Market, yet they spend hours at tables provided by the store.

Because, you know, Madness doesn't have ANY expenses to cover.

FFG CEO makes a fair point. Local stores provide an invaluable service to their company. It's perfectly reasonable for them to want to see them flourish.

The thing is, though, that this doesn't sound like it will fix that issue.

cln777 wrote:
To qualify as an online merchant, you will need to contribute either significant scale, unique service, or
other exceptional differentiation.

So, the larger OLGS will still be able to offer items, but smaller merchants will not. Madness will likely still not gain much out of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:

Seriously, take that shit to RSP. Do you guys just float around looking for hooks to post that crap?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kokaly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you want to support tournaments, etc then why not pay these FLGS directly to host them? Seems like a fairer exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
Fortunately they didn't take advice from you on grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supporting stores will be good for the mainstream games. Maybe not for prices and more niche games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kokaly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamessalute Also?