Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you provide some guidance on where to get those really cool wooden counters/Scrabble tiles and a tutorial on how to mount the counter art? I'd like to already have my supplies ready to go when the game is released. Can't wait till XMAS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
#77 T.J. OSHIE
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete,
i appreciate your interest in Ostfront. The counters are actual scrabble pieces from real scrabble games. You can always grab a cheap copy on ebay or walmart or heck, grandma prob. has a copy in the closet. You can also buy just scrabble counters on ebay (but for some reason its usually cheaper to simply buy a used copy or two of the game.) Bare in mind that scrabble pieces for some unknown reason are not exactly square yet this really presents no problem. To mount, simply print out the included counter file, cut and paste. I recommend a glue stick.

I also recommend a dry erase pen and plastic card holders (the same type you might use for Magic or baseball cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could even go to Goodwill. They have a bunch of Scrabble games for sale for only a few dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JASONMKRUSE wrote:
Pete,
i appreciate your interest in Ostfront. The counters are actual scrabble pieces from real scrabble games. You can always grab a cheap copy on ebay or walmart or heck, grandma prob. has a copy in the closet. You can also buy just scrabble counters on ebay (but for some reason its usually cheaper to simply buy a used copy or two of the game.) Bare in mind that scrabble pieces for some unknown reason are not exactly square yet this really presents no problem. To mount, simply print out the included counter file, cut and paste. I recommend a glue stick.

I also recommend a dry erase pen and plastic card holders (the same type you might use for Magic or baseball cards.)

I thought the Scrabble pieces were engraved with the letters, but maybe they're just painted? I've seen several game piece websites with 1" x 1/8" thick raw wood squares for around $0.10-$0.15 each. How many do you think I would need for Ostfront and all three of your Platoon Leader games?

Thanks for the quick response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - thanks for the advice. Very helpful! This hobby sure has a lot of positive mojo (most of the time!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michaels craft stores sells alphabet tiles. They are Scrabble tiles and are square. The problem is finding them in the stores. I ordered the last batch online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, 1" sized squares is the appropriate size for Platoon Leader and Ostfront? Are there smaller or larger sized tiles needed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
#77 T.J. OSHIE
mbmbmbmbmb
I would applaud anybody who made a vassal module for Platoon Leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chemkid wrote:
The size doesn't matter since this is print and play. You gotta make sure that the hexes are larger than the counters, though.
FYI, i'll stick to 19x19mm (approx. 0.75 inch). Right now, I'm playing the game (platoon leader) on my pc - inside my layout program! Too sad nobody did a vassal-module!

Regards,
Robert

That being said, I assume I can make the maps as large or small as I want too, right? I assume Jason has instructions on the proper ratios of hex size to proper counter size, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.