Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aonghus O Nia
United States
Milton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that humidity will warp boards but how about cold. I am storing my games in the back hallway of my house. Right beside the back door. There is no heat in there and we keep the door to the rest of the house closed to keep the heat so but it must get down to 40deg F in there at night at the moment. I chose storing them there because I have a small house and didn't want to put them in the basement because of worries about humidity (its nice and dry in this hallway) but now I'm worried. Should I move my games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Pasquantonio
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This month, one of my close friends gave me a bunch of games that he had been storing in a garage after his divorce. The games were sitting there for probably three years, and all were fine. That doesn't mean that the cold won't affect other games, but by and large, cold is far less harmful to games than heat.

Shrinkwrapped games are exposed to cold and sitting several times during their journey from printer to consumer. And cold usually means low humidity, so you'll probably be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have stored mine in the garage for years in Ohio and Va and in both places they have been from subzero to over 100 degrees and I've never had any warping or damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Siebel
Germany
Schwalbach
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was asking myself the same question when I had to store some games in a cupboard next to a paper-like wall and close to the tiled floor under which only an icy garage has been.

I do not see any harm cold can do to games, especially not to the game boards. However, a critical point might be the transition from cold to warmth. If you place well-chilled games in a warm environment, humidity of the warmer air will condensate on the colder surfaces. This humidity could possibly cause some warping, if it is too much. But nothing happened to my games stored there. (Even Railroad Tycoon was inside this cupboard without any warping )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.