Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: "A Simple Task" Mission - Problems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mario antunes
msg tools
Guys, I was playing as the Imperial on this mission and it was really hard for me. The Rebels were able to exploit the Rest action and win. The questions follow as spoilers, since I need to talk about hidden information:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

The mission doesn't have a time limit and my only objective is to wound the heroes. They took their time resting before using the terminals to open doors. The first door that was opened only gave me Stormtroopers and Imperial Offciers. The second, only 4 threat. Since this was only the first side mission, my threat level was only 2.

In a turn they were able to heal ridiculous amounts of health. And, since the game was 2 players and they had the Legendary card and their health limit was 20+ each.

So, was there something I could do? Is there any errata or something about this mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The name of the mission says it all.
There really is not much you could do. There is nothing hard for the rebels to do and events do not bring out anything dangerous. Expect the rebels to win this and use the mission to try different strategies that you would not dare to try in other missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the imperial player get double the threat amount in this mission? We played it several weeks ago and I was a rebel player, but I think I remember something like that. Or maybe I'm mixing it up with Under Siege, which we also played that day.

When we played, the imperial player set Trandoshans on us, and they were really really good at wounding us. Plus, of course, a swarm of stormtroopers (whom he could deploy really easily because he'd bought a card that makes their deployment cheaper by one).

Side note - is the information about whether or not a mission has a time limit, and its value if it's there, supposed to be known to the rebels or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebels know there is no time limit because no time limit is mentioned in the mission briefing.

The setup gives threat (2x threat level) to customize the starting groups, but that is the normal stuff. (You always get 2x threat level when there are less initial groups in a mission.)

For reference, the mistakes I made.
7. PBF SWIA007: A Simple Task (4mb) - mb win during round 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario antunes
msg tools
Thanks everyone.
I was hoping there was something I didn't see, but seems like it was kinda expected that the Empire would lose this one. Let's see if I can compensate this by wining "A New Threat" tonight whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, the side missions favor the rebels - A Simple Task is one of the more extreme ones. And given the nature of the objective, you had it even worse, considering the rebels had the Legendary upgrades in their favor - even more crucial than the fact that the rebels had big sacks of HP for you to beat through, is the fact that they can each cover 16+ squares of movement in a single round, due to the double activation tokens. Fortunately for you, A New Threat should do a good job of punishing them for having all the power concentrated into two figures.

My suggested strategy for A Simple Task:
Play extremely defensively with the initial units. In particular, I would not run the Trandoshans up close to take advantage of Scattergun, but instead take longer range shots and then move away to hide behind cover. Don't sacrifice figures unless it causes a hero to be wounded.

I would wait to spawn reinforcements until the rebels have picked up the objective - drop in a bunch of firepower to try to catch them on the way out. Particularly Royal Guards and Elite Royal Guards with their Stuns would be good for this. Nexu/Elite Nexu would be good to put Bleed on the runner. At a very high threat level I'd be tempted to try the AT-ST for fun - I'm not sure that that's a winning strategy, but if you use it to plug the hallway out of the base, it will cost the rebels a fair number of movement points to run through it. If you wound the hero carrying the objective, the objective is dropped, which wastes another rebel action to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario antunes
msg tools
CitizenFry wrote:

My suggested strategy for A Simple Task:
Play extremely defensively with the initial units. In particular, I would not run the Trandoshans up close to take advantage of Scattergun, but instead take longer range shots and then move away to hide behind cover. Don't sacrifice figures unless it causes a hero to be wounded.

I would wait to spawn reinforcements until the rebels have picked up the objective - drop in a bunch of firepower to try to catch them on the way out. Particularly Royal Guards and Elite Royal Guards with their Stuns would be good for this. Nexu/Elite Nexu would be good to put Bleed on the runner. At a very high threat level I'd be tempted to try the AT-ST for fun - I'm not sure that that's a winning strategy, but if you use it to plug the hallway out of the base, it will cost the rebels a fair number of movement points to run through it. If you wound the hero carrying the objective, the objective is dropped, which wastes another rebel action to pick it up.

Thanks for the tips John. I'll try my best and post what happened.
One thing I could do better was to keep the Stormtroopers more far away from the heroes, since the blue die gives a nice range. I'll try to use them better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario antunes
msg tools
I was able to win "A New Threat", one other side mission and one more Story Mission. We're now 2 Stories to finish the game and things are feeling a lot more balanced.
Really great game, even though some missions are REALLY favorable to the Rebels. I can only imagine how bad it will for the Empire once the players know all missions since hidden information seems to be the only thing the Empire has of advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But you know what they think they know, and you can select a different option than you did the first time. (And pretend to let it slip that you have different options available for events even when you actually don't.)

It will of course remain to be a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.