United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a bit of a tech question for someone well versed with Macromedia Flash.

I have a client interested in developing a small Flash animation piece for his web site, but he also wants to be able to include it in a MS PowerPoint presentation. Unfortunately, our Creative Director is on vacation and I can't get an answer from her...

At first I wasn't sure if PowerPoint would support a Flash file, but after Googling a bit, I ran across this guide:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint/HA010348071033....

Essentially, it sounds like you need to have the Flash player installed on the machine running the PowerPoint presentation, and the Flash .swf files on the same machine, and inserted into a slide as a Shockwave Flash Object. There are a few more steps involved than required for inserting .mov or .avi files, but it can be done.

The questions I have are:

1) If the client wants to be able to burn this PPT presentation to CD for distribution to his customers, would you still be able to imbed the Flash file..? And if so, would that require burning all the additional Flash source files on the same DVD? (we're concerned it may create clutter on the CD - we would prefer there's only a single icon or item on the CD for customers to click).

2) Is it easy enough to convert a finished Flash animation piece into a more compatible format for PPT such as a .mov or .avi file? If so, does Flash have that capability built in, or do you need a special sort of plug in or extension?

I'm definitely out of my element here, but don't want to wait until next week to get an answer from our Creative Director... Thanks for any insights you can share!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not sure on #1 but #2 is a very definitive "possibly"!

Really, it depends on the flash file. Theoretically you can export any of them directly to a quicktime format but, I've found that quicktime sometimes doesn't like lots of sub-movieclips and might not animate them properly or get them out of synch. You can also do an image sequence and bring that (a folder with a file for each frame) into your video software of choice. ALSO, if it is just a very simple animation, you might even be able to get a good result with a simple and modest animated gif (which can also be exported from flash)...

Dunno if that helps...

EDIT: I don't have the figures in front of me but, I thought that flash had a higher penetration rate than quicktime player (at least on windows machines) so technically a .swf might be more compatible than a .mov
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You can embed the flash file into the powerpoint just like a picture. It is one of the options when you create the object. It is a little misleading because the path stays there, but I have confirmed that it works by deleting the swf and the powerpoint still plays.

Quote:
To set specific options for how the animation plays, do the following, and when you're done, close the Properties dialog box:

* Make sure the Playing property is set to True. This plays the file automatically when the slide is displayed. If the Flash file has a Start/Rewind control built into it, the Playing setting can be set to False.
* If you don't want the animation to play repeatedly, in the Loop property, select False (click the cell to get a down arrow, click the arrow, and select False).
* To embed the Flash file so you can pass this presentation on to others, in the EmbedMovie property, click True. (In order for the Flash file to run, however, the Shockwave Flash Object control must be registered on any computer that runs this presentation.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.