Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I'm a big Packer fan. Shocking, I know. I don't like the Bears. Another shocker. I don't HATE the Bears like I HATE the Vikings, but I'm definitely not a fan, and I did not want to see them in the Super Bowl. I do respect the fact that they have a long and storied history like the Packers, but I still don't like them.

So, the Bears make it to the Super Bowl and I just might be rooting for them come Sunday. Why? You can go ahead and call me crazy, but here's my reason:

(Shocker #3) I'm a Brett Favre fan. Ask any knowledgeable football fan who the top 4 QBs of the modern era are and you'll most likely get these 4 names: Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Brett Favre. Of course some people will have a different list, but most of the time those are the names you'll get. The order will change depending on who you're talking to.

Assuming he keeps up what he's been doing for the past several years, Peyton Manning will be making that a top 5 list fairly soon. He's an amazing QB and he puts up incredible numbers.

Joe Montana: 4 SuperBowl Rings (wow), 40,551 yards, 273 TDs.
John Elway: 2 Super Bowl Rings, 51,475 yards, 300 TDs.
Dan Marino: 0 Super Bowl Rings, 61,361 yards, 420 TDs
Brett Favre: 1 Super Bowl Ring, 57,500 yards, 414 TDs

Peyton Manning: 0 Super Bowl Rings, 37,586 TDs, 275 TDs (I didn't realize he passed Montana at the end of the year. Where was the hoopla?)

Let me first say that I’m not ranking these QBs. They’re all incredible, and in gaming terms, they’re all 10/10 to me.

Joe Montana and John Elway both have rings, and while their stats are some of the best in history, they are not absolutely top-tier.

Dan Marino’s stats are incredible. 1st or 2nd in every major passing category in history (till next year anyway) is extremely impressive. Of course, as we all know, he never won a Super Bowl.

Brett Favre is the only guy on both of those lists. He’s won a Super Bowl, and his stats are in the stratosphere. He’s 2nd in most QB stats right now, and 1st in a few. If he comes back this year he’ll be first in all of them except maybe yards (although that’s certainly within his reach; I didn’t know he was that close). He’s also 2nd all time for number of wins for a QB, only 1 game behind John Elway.

So, that leaves us with Peyton Manning. He’ll probably end his career in the Marino/Favre area as far as stats go. As much as I like Manning, I’m looking at it as though he’s competing with Favre on the all-time list. If he ends up like Marino without a ring, then I can safely put Favre ahead of him in my head. If he passes Favre in stats and has a ring (or more), well then that’s just not good.

Like I said, I like Manning. However, if he’s playing against the Packers then I hope he has a terrible game. Same here. He’s competing with Favre on the all-time list (in my warped brain anyway), so I will root against him. So, call me crazy (you’re probably right), but that’s why I might be rooting for the Bears on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh... I didn't realize the Super Bowl was this weekend.

Thanks for inadvertently giving me the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What? What? A Packers fan rooting for da Bears? That might get you some mighty weird looks, even hate mail and worse, if word spreads...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not get crazy, Kane. How about we just root for some Colts defensive touchdowns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also the Colts moved out of Baltimore the same night my dad moved in

I'm still hoping for that miracle Favre Superbowl next year, and I'm not even a Greenbay fan. The man just needs another ring, especially for his last year if he comes back which he better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Let's not get crazy, Kane. How about we just root for some Colts defensive touchdowns?

No matter how the Colts win, Manning still gets a ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
I'm still hoping for that miracle Favre Superbowl next year, and I'm not even a Greenbay fan. The man just needs another ring, especially for his last year if he comes back which he better.

You speak truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
mmm....root bear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Maybe they'll trade him before the Super Bowl?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
What if he trips and breaks his neck in the middle of the second quarter?

He could also be kidnapped by one-eyed aliens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:

Maybe they'll trade him before the Super Bowl?

You make a good, solid point. It would be especially great if he got traded to the Bears and then the Bears lost. Although the Bears should trade him again before next season. I wouldn't want to face that guy twice a year. Unless Favre came back. Those Favre / Manning games are always fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything you say Kane is exactly the problems I am having as well, for all of the same reasons. I remain rather conflicted about who I most want to win this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are missing a critical argument against rooting for the bears.

The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Perhaps the most embarassing thing in all of football history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
OK, so I'm a big Packer fan.

(blablabla justifying stuff deleted)...

Like I said, I like Manning. However, if he’s playing against the Packers then I hope he has a terrible game. Same here. He’s competing with Favre on the all-time list (in my warped brain anyway), so I will root against him. So, call me crazy (you’re probably right), but that’s why I might be rooting for the Bears on Sunday.

Your Packer fan privlidges have been revoked!

Turn in your microbadge.

Now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:

The Super Bowl Shuffle.

I completely forgot about that! Is that Da Bears' song or what the heck was that title? I heard it for 2 seconds and had to run away. The song is just terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bard wrote:
Everything you say Kane is exactly the problems I am having as well, for all of the same reasons. I remain rather conflicted about who I most want to win this weekend.

Well, at least I know I'm not crazy. At least I'm not alone in being crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Kane. You're nuts Manning is already ahead of Favre and will be unless he, too, doesn't know when to hang 'em up. devil

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Bowls:
Favre: 1
Manning: 0

MVPs:
Favre: 3
Manning: 2

Yards:
Favre: 57,500
Manning: 37,586

TDs:
Favre: 414
Manning: 275

Comp. %:
Favre: 61.1%
Manning: 64%

Unless you put a lot of emphasis on completion %, then I don't see how Manning is already past Favre. Yes, after 9 years in the league, Manning's stats are slightly higher than Favre's were after 9 years, but you said Manning is ahead of Favre already. If Manning can keep this up for another 8+ years like Favre has, then I might agree with you. At this point, no way.

Now, I know you may have just been talking trash, and I should give you a break since you share Knizia love, but I just had to say something.

I like Manning. He's incredible. He's no Favre though. At least not yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot the most important stat, Kane:

Laser-Rocket Arms:
Favre: 0
Manning: 1

That pretty much sums it up right there. No arguing with science.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Dude, what a weak reason not to root for Manning. Weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Rappak wrote:
What? What? A Packers fan rooting for da Bears? That might get you some mighty weird looks, even hate mail and worse, if word spreads...

Gather 'round, Packer fans! I think we need a "Come to Jesus"-style intervention STAT!

I think the poor deluded soul needs electric shock treatment. How can any self respecting Packers fan cheer for the Bears?

So suddenly Manning becomes an all time great? Does that make Favre a non-great?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
Jpwoo wrote:

The Super Bowl Shuffle.

I completely forgot about that! Is that Da Bears' song or what the heck was that title? I heard it for 2 seconds and had to run away. The song is just terrible.

I have the Super Bowl Shuffle on 45 in its sleeve with the team on front. I had to pick it up when I saw it garage sale-ing a couple years ago.

But, we're Packer Backers here, my son loves Favre---Oh yeah, we have a Favre doll action figure in the box, too. Does that cancel out the Super Bowl Shuffle??

I suppose I should try to sell that thing on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Martin
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
This above all: To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.
mbmbmbmbmb
After my indecisiveness on this issue, I'd like to report to my fellow Packers fans that I saw and felt the light of truth.

Go Colts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.