Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Good fun.
My first game took me 2 hours but my second game a mere 30 minutes.
It'll soon become over-easy but I can't imagine the fun-factor decreasing a whole lot.
I now make it more difficult by not letting the Germans move at all during the "mud" phases. Really makes them pressed for time and prevents them from "sprinting" around the line to get to Moscow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
I now make it more difficult by not letting the Germans move at all during the "mud" phases. Really makes them pressed for time and prevents them from "sprinting" around the line to get to Moscow.

If your Germans are having that easy a time of it getting to Moscow before the mud, you're probably doing someting wrong (either in terms of Russian strategy or misinterpreting the rules). It's not impossible for the Germans to reach the outskirts of Moscow before the mud, but it should be uncommon (perhaps no more than 10% of the time, given competent Soviet play).

Actually taking Moscow is, of course, a completely different matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks. I'll take a hard look at what I did and if I feel I played correctly. The first game I played I missed the mud altogether and sent the Germans south and then hard up the East to Moscow. And, additionally, I forgot to send in the Russian Shock Troops. I think those two things (as you say, I was doing incorrectly) made a significant difference.
My second game, if I recall, was pretty neat because one of the Panzers took Moscow, but the Russians liberated it on Turn 7 and with only one turn left, had pressed that lone Panzer much too far from the capitol to be able to counterattack in their part of Turn 7. As I said in the subject heading ... fun!

I'll probably break into it again tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few pointers on rules/strategy suggestion that are commonly missed:

= All movement for both sides is reduced to 1 hex during mud turns EXCEPT for Soviet units using rail movement.

= Panzers have their attack (but not defense) strength halved during mud turns.

= The Soviets should never leave Moscow empty; it's far too common/easy for the Germans to be able to slip a panzer through/around the lines and take it unexpectedly.

= Novice Soviet players often fall into a strictly defensive mindset, which isn't wise. If you (as the Soviets) can get a decent attack in, especially against a panzer unit (but even on a German infantry unit in a non-critical sector of the line) it's worth considering. Weakening the Germans anywhere leaves them potentially vulnerable to acheiving a breakthrough that can surround other, more important, German units elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.