W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
As a number of readers have noticed, Boardgame News went down from late Sunday, January 28th to mid-Monday, January 29th (GMT-5). The error notice mentioned that the site had exceeded its CPU quota, and the title of the error page—SUSPENDED—gave me, and undoubtedly more than a few readers, a bit of shock.

After talking with a tech at the BGN host, I upgraded the system software, something that was long overdue anyway. No dice, as the saying goes. The system would breach the CPU quota, the host would suspend access for three minutes to let the system cool down, then the site would go live again and burst across the CPU threshhold, bringing everything to a halt once again. I removed the Google ads in case those scripts were sucking down too much juice; I installed a blacklist module to defend against referrer spam because the error logs showed attempted referral attacks.

Everything looked good—then the site went kablooey a few more times on Tuesday and Wednesday. I spoke to a more compentent tech at the host, and he investigated much more deeply into the source of the outages. And what did the cause turn out to be? You, all of you! The readership of Boardgame News has grown throughout January, and with the Nuremberg Preview in full swing—not to mention the recent preview of Days of Wonder's Colosseum—and while I'm delighted to have so many readers, the volume has turned out to be more than the site can handle.

To solve the problem, I'll be moving Boardgame News to a server that provides a much higher CPU capacity. Since BGN lacks a dedicated IP address, the move will take the site offline for anywhere from 4 to 24 hours. I'll time the move for late Saturday, Feb. 3 since traffic hits a low point at that time and everything should be running smoothly again within a day at most.

To help pay for this additional expense—not to mention all of the daily work that goes into this site—I'm asking BGN readers to donate whatever they feel is an appropriate amount. (http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/C53/) A Donate button awaits your attention in the left-hand column of each page, and you'll soon be greeted by one near the Comment box on each item as well.

I had planned to experiment with some form of open comments starting on February 1, but I'll have to hold off on that until the site is resting comfortably in its new server. Given that traffic is already busting the seams, there's no sense adding more until the site can handle the additional load. Your donations will be greatly appreciated and will enable me to keep bringing game news to you in a timely manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Re: Downtime on Boardgame News, a Fix, and a Call for Donati
Just thought I'd add that anyone who signs up for a BGN membership today, Jan. 31, will be included in the monthly drawing for free games, which consists of Animalia, Genesis, Treasure Fleet and Elementalis this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.