Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some newbie gamers, and in virtue of the large number of fiddlesome rules, I was thinking of dropping the currency rules.

Will I just end up with a glorified version of High Society? Is there enough game to do this?

I've not played it before and don't have enough experience of gaming to judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what large number of fiddly rules you're talking about... it's a pretty simple game, I've played very easily with non-gamers. I'd give it a shot first before you change anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What's your opinion on how much is lost to the game.

Will it still be fun/interactive. (Obviously less fun, maybe, or maybe just less mentally taxing?!?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, personally, I think the different currencies are the most interesting part of the game. Without them it's pretty much just a straight up auction. I'd probably rather just play For Sale instead. (which is a great game, but I much prefer Palazzo)

But, it's a short game ... maybe play once without different currencies for them to learn the game, and then play a second game adding the currencies back in. My guess is they'll say 'why the hell didn't we just play this way the first time?'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
For some newbie gamers, and in virtue of the large number of fiddlesome rules ...

I could not use the adjective "fiddlesome" at all, although the concept of 3-cards-equal-wild could be befuddling or intimidating. But that does not need to come up much anyway in an introductory game for beginners if it worries you. I, myself might only gloss over it in the initial teaching, saving details instead for later as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be mindful of a subtlety here that when money is passed out it is not merely that everybody gets more money.

It is something more than the simplicity that I get two cards while you only get one.

It can be something more than I picked the highest value and left you the lowest.

In a sense it can be that I get two cards while you get none, because I picked a particular color and left you with a different color. My strength in that color increased and yours did not. I can gain a feeling of being in charge next time I really want something. I wouldn't get that same feeling if everybody had a fistful with no color distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh god yes the money rules are so hard to explain, and they don't seem to make it more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.