Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I love descent but what next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
josh falone
msg tools
i love descent eventually i want to get the expansions. But, i wan't something to divide my attention a bit. Anything simaler that you think i would enjoy? Can be with/without campaign setting. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you want to be similar and what do you want to be different?

Star Wars: Imperial Assault is the obvious 'similar' choice but personally I wouldn't want something that was nearly identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could take it to the next level and Play D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh falone
msg tools
personally i do its like a different setting but same style buti'll look into deffinetly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh falone
msg tools
as for dnd i dont have enough experience but i want to learn to DM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kutch wrote:

Jump in head first. Any beginner box rpg(pathfinder, D&D) will have all you need to start. If you want to start on advance level, get the core books and a published adventure with it. RPG's more so than most games don't have a set way to play. So get some friends and figure out what you like and go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh falone
msg tools
ive done that i want to create my own story but its been a lot of work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lifelesspoet wrote:
kutch wrote:

Jump in head first. Any beginner box rpg(pathfinder, D&D) will have all you need to start. If you want to start on advance level, get the core books and a published adventure with it. RPG's more so than most games don't have a set way to play. So get some friends and figure out what you like and go.

QFT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients/ Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets: Away Missions offers interesting tactical challenges, but in a full co-op setting. It also has more scenarios, and more replay value than Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Burnham wrote:

I would recommend not getting the Brimstone games. They have become shelf filler for me. For non-campaign I'd recommend Mage Knight. For a campaign based game without DM, I'd go with Kingdom Death:Monster if you can afford it.

If Brimstone releases a full story driven campaign it could be great. But as it stands, it's a bunch of disconnected missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lifelesspoet wrote:
kutch wrote:

this. for whats included, pathfinder beginner box is a bargain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
Star Wars: Imperial Assault is the obvious 'similar' choice but personally I wouldn't want something that was nearly identical.

Imperial Assault is similar, but even discounting the change of the setting, when you get to it there are a lot of small but important differences in gameplay.

To name a few: alternating activations, campaign structure with story (branching) and side missions (rebels choose from two alternatives), use of threat as currency for the imperial to deploy units during a mission, can move through hostile figures by spending more movement points, strain can be only upto your endurance, hidden information (including hidden imperial choices, so the same effect may not happen in the next play of the same mission), heroes buy class cards and items, imperial buys class cards and agenda cards. The Imperial Player is not a game master, he tries to win!

Also, Imperial Assault includes a 2-player (possibly 2-team) skirmish mode with one-off missions (points for objectives of the mission as well as from defeating enemy units). You can play as one of the three factions (imperial, rebel, mercenary - although the core game does not give much variety for mercenary), even imperial vs imperial.

Maybe search for other Descent vs Imperial Assault threads from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Get Level 7: Omega Protocol. It's better than Descent, Imperial Assault, and every other dungeon crawl game. It's meaty without being overly complex. It's actually fun to be the bad guy because his decisions are meaningful and varied. It's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unkynd wrote:
Burnham wrote:

I would recommend not getting the Brimstone games. They have become shelf filler for me. For non-campaign I'd recommend Mage Knight. For a campaign based game without DM, I'd go with Kingdom Death:Monster if you can afford it.

If Brimstone releases a full story driven campaign it could be great. But as it stands, it's a bunch of disconnected missions.

Really? It's one of my most played games.

It does require adding content to keep it fresh though, just one base game won't last for long on it's own.

As far as story goes, it's fairly easy to keep a coherent story going, but then I come from an RPG background as do the other players, so it's a non-issue for us. We just add a little backstory to link all the events/missions.

I also have and play both Descent 2 and Imperial Assault. I can see how some would say not to move onto Imperial Assault but as others have pointed out there is enough difference to enjoy it on top of playing descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Space Cadets: Away Missions offers interesting tactical challenges, but in a full co-op setting. It also has more scenarios, and more replay value than Descent.

And it has a cool 50s scifi theme!

+1

Also look out for The Other: 7 Sins coming out next year. It looks to be a very cool one vs many game designed by Eric Lang with some interesting new 'corruption' mechanics and a dark noir-scifi theme. Or is that too cult-of-the-new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.