Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension» Forums » News

Subject: Open Playtest of Upcoming Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Young
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT ----
The open playtest is now over. Thank you to those who provided feedback. ----

From now until March 1, 2016, we are conducting an open playtest of the upcoming Gravwell expansion, Captain's Orders. Using a copy of base game, some card sleeves, and the cards and tokens from the PnP file, you will be able to play the full expansion.

Features:
- Support for 5-6 players, the most requested update
- Enjoy ship-specific abilities
- Choose from among 12 new once-per-round abilities (replacing the Emergency Stop)
- New fuel cards, including Dozer beams
- New drafting rules that should speed up the mining phase

The PnP file is not a polished production. It's designed to get the job done. You'll need some card sleeves. The first page of the rules contains printing and sleeving recommendations.

We're doing this as an experiment. Please enjoy the experience in the spirit in which it is offered. Download the file, print the game, play with your group, and then please post your reactions and opinions here.

Specific feedback we're after:
- Was it fun?
- Which new ship-specific ability was the most fun? And the least?
- Which new Captain's Order card was most popular? And the least?
- The rules have yet to be polished in terms of grammar, theme and layout, but are any missing?

Thanks so much! Enjoy!

-----
LINK REMOVED - open playtest is complete
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyYoung wrote:
From now until March 1, 2016, we are conducting an open playtest of the upcoming Gravwell expansion, Captain's Orders. Using a copy of base game, some card sleeves, and the cards and tokens from the PnP file, you will be able to play the full expansion.

Features:
- Support for 5-6 players, the most requested update
- Enjoy ship-specific abilities
- Choose from among 12 new once-per-round abilities (replacing the Emergency Stop)
- New fuel cards, including Dozer beams
- New drafting rules that should speed up the mining phase

The PnP file is not a polished production. It's designed to get the job done. You'll need some card sleeves. The first page of the rules contains printing and sleeving recommendations.

We're doing this as an experiment. Please enjoy the experience in the spirit in which it is offered. Download the file, print the game, play with your group, and then please post your reactions and opinions here.

Specific feedback we're after:
- Was it fun?
- Which new ship-specific ability was the most fun? And the least?
- Which new Captain's Order card was most popular? And the least?
- The rules have yet to be polished in terms of grammar, theme and layout, but are any missing?

Thanks so much! Enjoy!

--- Once the BGG admins okay the PnP file, we'll replace this line with a link to it. ---


I look forward to getting the PnP file and having a go with this over Christmas. Gravwell is already one of my favourite games and I think the expansion may elevate it still further1
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been play testing it for quite a while now, and I can honestly say that it improves the game.

Our gaming group kept Gravwell in the regular rotation, playing it at least twice a month (if not more). Since we got the expansion, it has increased in popularity (to the point where three other members of the group have purchased it...) and we will not play Gravwell without the new rules...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Young
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate the input from you and your group. You helped refine some of the rules already.

You may want to download the latest version. The fuel cards are unchanged, so you don't have to reprint any of those, but I tweeked the rules a bit, and updated the blue ship's card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Franz
United States
St.
Missouri
flag msg tools
My crew will take a look at this after Christmas and be sure to file our After Action Report for you. Looking forward to checking it out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played again last night.

Our regular, weekly board game meeting was a bit light due to holiday plans, but we had 8 to start with. After a couple left and went home, we broke out Gravwell for the remaining 6 - 2 of whom had never played.

As always, the basic explanation took about 5 minutes, then we were off.
Captain's orders are terrific. With the random deal of two each and the chance to keep one of your choosing - no one got stuck with an ability they disliked.

I received Psychic - which is one of my favorites.

Al in all, it was another good game and much fun was had. Thanks for making these available to us.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Young
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So glad to hear it! Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have adopted the new ships as standard issue... regardless of number playing.
We also use the Captain's Orders... regardless of number playing.

And Fast Mining has become a staple as well... regardless of number playing.




And just for fun, we did try two games with 6 players and two derelicts. I see why you recommend not using them with 5 or 6 players.


Our standard method od play is determine first player (usually by die roll or an app on the phone).
Select ships, starting with the first player and going clockwise.
Then determine sides / teams / starting location... once players are split into two 'sides'...
The starting player chooses Warp Gate or Singularity as starting point...
And we're off.

We've actually been known to have Gravwell set-up as a side game with 4 or 5 of us playing between turns of the main game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Young
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoutdad wrote:
We've actually been known to have Gravwell set-up as a side game with 4 or 5 of us playing between turns of the main game.


I've never heard of anyone doing that, but it makes perfect sense. I'll have to tell Renegade's marketing folks about that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Darnit. If I'd seen this over the holiday break I could have gotten it printed with my last order. I've passed along the link to some friends. They say their local game shop plays Gravwell fairly often Tuesday nights.

He applauded your addition of the recently added new elements. And I like the nod to Carl Sagan.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kinda confused about Ship Designator cards, Captain's Orders cards, and Emergency Stop. How many are in play at a time? Which ones recharge each round and which ones are permanent? Which ones replace the Emergency Stop card? The battery on the back of the Ship Designator card is for what reason?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Young
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BuckWilde wrote:
I'm kinda confused about Ship Designator cards, Captain's Orders cards, and Emergency Stop. How many are in play at a time? Which ones recharge each round and which ones are permanent? Which ones replace the Emergency Stop card? The battery on the back of the Ship Designator card is for what reason?


Sorry about the confusion.

The ship designator cards are intended to completely replace the Emergency Stop Cards. The battery symbol, which I don't imagine appearing on the production version, was supposed to convey that your special ability (Emergency Stop or Captain's Order) is recharging. I want to make that more clear.

The ability on the Ship Designator card is permanent. It should probably appear on both sides of the card. Captain's Orders work just like Emergency Stop - once you've used it, it's gone until the next round.

Hope that clears it up.

Thanks so much for checking out the expansion!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Maybe show something crackling with energy on the active side of the card, that is dead and grey on the other side of the card? You could even have the word 'charging'.

If the other power always works, it might be good to have that part still in full color, to make it more clear.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played our first game of the expansion today. We had a good time, especially with the fast mining rules, but the game was over by the 2nd round, the fastest game I've ever played. But I do realize that 2 player is not the strongest Gravwell experience, so I'm excited to try it out with more people.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Reaser
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how finalized the element names are, but I would suggest not using Ununoctium, since that element is currently (as of December 2015) in review to receive a new name now that the element has been produced in a lab. So it wouldn't make thematic sense for it to still be called that far in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
How is the expansion coming along? It sounds like the few comments posted were really roaringly positive.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates? cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.