Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Once upon a time...

... You could click on someone's profile and immediately all their interests, Geekstuff, and contributions, etc, flashed up before your world-weary eyes. No clicking on tabs. No hunting for information.

Not any more.

On the same day that the negative thumbs were implemented, all our profiles were manipulated into a new form. And I don't much care for it.

Sure, there are worthier causes to champion, better things to spend my time wailing about, but I can't help it. I thought that the older style profile was cleaner, more concise; I didn't find it cluttered. I liked it. Now, when I check someone's profile, I find I don't bother checking out their interests. Maybe I'm lazy. Maybe I'm old fashioned, clinging to the past with liver-spotted hands, but I want the old style back.

Am I alone in this thinking?
Is their a way to change it back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Re: The Old Profile was Better by a Good League: A Lamentati
I can tell you the reason it was changed. It was due to poor performance. It might of looked better but was so much more effort to work out all the stats etc. That is why it is tabbed.

So theres not going to be a change back to the old way because its inefficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it is good to know it was for effeciency's sake, because I rather liked it better the other way as well. But, if it is better for the geek this way, it is better for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ron lee)
United States
baton rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I agree
Perhaps both issues described above could be handled with a default 'summary' tab on the profile page that contains the most interesting information for a user. As it is now, the default tab is the "games" info, which contains a lot of fluff that I don't need to know about a person, at least on first glance at a profile.

I might propose that the 'summary' tab contain:

Personal Top 10 games
Interests
Contributions (not the whole tab, just the 'contributions' part of the 'contributions' tab. no need for the thumbs however)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand why the profile was changed. Having everything on one page was best, however, this is far from the next best thing. The new profile page could be organized much better, in my opinion.

For example, I hate my own page because BoardgameGeek preferences is at the very top. Why can't this be on a tab? I don't need to see how I have my notifications set everytime I go to my profile. I think this should also have your account manager settings, like configuring the front page, etc. It's goofy that these are on two different pages.

Also, the contributions page is the most used page for me because that was how I followed forum threads that I posted in. Now I have to click contributions and then, I have to scroll past the Other Ratings to get to my forum replies and geeklist comments. Shouldn't Other Ratings be somewhere else? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see people using that info very often.

I don't know, I know there's a reason for the change, but it definitely needs more tweaking, it's not even close to being as user friendly as before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also dislike the new profile setup. It seems like each tab contains one thing I want to see so I have to click around forever. More customizability would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the old profiles were much better, but I guess it is hardly a critical issue so if it is more efficient I guess we will have to live with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.
I must admit that I did not realise that the change was down to performance.
Still, maybe there's a compromise that could be reached, with interests on the front page of the profile along with contributions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
ronlee wrote:

I might propose that the 'summary' tab contain:

Personal Top 10 games
Interests
Contributions (not the whole tab, just the 'contributions' part of the 'contributions' tab. no need for the thumbs however)

I agree, the contributions and GeekStuff is what I am most interested. The contributions data, GeekBuddies and GeekGold mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
It does need tweaking sure. But at the moment i have no suggestions. Especially because i have no idea how this code works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I used to click on a bgg profile, I looked at the info in this order:

Games owned/rated
Contributions (threads/reviews/pics/files uploaded)
Thumbs received
GeekGold
GeekBuddies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
if it is more efficient I guess we will have to live with it.

Someone wrote that Aldie was planning on caching the calculated profile data. That way all the information could appear on the same page again with no performance hit.

This is secondhand information; I have no idea if Aldie has any such plans.

I also find the new profile page more difficult to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
When I used to click on a bgg profile, I looked at the info in this order:

Games owned/rated
Contributions (threads/reviews/pics/files uploaded)
Thumbs received
GeekGold
GeekBuddies

My order was:
Contributions
Geekgold
thumbs received
Game Collection/Ratings
Geekbuddies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimu wrote:
Someone wrote that Aldie was planning on caching the calculated profile data. That way all the information could appear on the same page again with no performance hit.

That would be awesome. I miss the old, user-friendly format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.