Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a 9 year old son who has been fascinated by this game, but I seem to be getting mixed signals as to how complicated the game is. Certainly, there is a lot of focus on the length of the rulebook. On the other hand, there seems to be a sense that the game is fluid. I'm not sure that any f the other in print aerial wargames would really appeal to him. My son and I play Tide of Iron, Band of Brother: Ghost Panzer, and Core Worlds, if that helps.

Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your planning on playing with him then he might be okay. It does have some parts that might be difficult for a 9 year old to grasp. Heck, there are even adults here on BGG still asking some deep questions about the game. If the intent is to buy it for a nine year old to play alone or alone than nine is a little young, IMHO to play this game by themselves. Don't know if this helped you out or not, but best wishes.

Have a good holiday,
turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not to play solitaire. We play almost everything together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you and your son play Band of Brothers he should be able to play Wing Leader.

The scenarios are laid out so that they gradually add in more rules so it's sort of like the old AH programmed learning.

The first few scenario have only a few units on each side and are mainly about learning the system. As you progress you r get into more detailed bombing and mission types.

Once you've played a couple of the scenarios the game really flows and moves fairly quickly because you don't have absolute control for everything and so the choice are sometime limited.

Also the player aid cards are well thought out and contain everything you need to play and where to look stuff up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your son is willing to apply himself, he should be able to handle it, with your help, of course. There are a few fiddly rules, but the game is very procedural. If you follow the procedure, it's manageable. It's always tough to tell what is 'too much' for a child that age. I'd suggest taking a look at the living rules, and see what you think. It's not as formidable as it looks at first glance, since half of each page is taken up by designer notes or examples or the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus H√łygaard Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark, Europe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would wait a few years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.