James K
New Zealand
Petone
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One issue with the using Invisible Overlord with Uncharted Dungeons is that the player(s) have to make a lot of decisions - such as which monsters to place and what the bosses should be like. Making these decisions on the fly breaks the flow of the game, and making them in advance takes a fair bit of planning.

What I think the games needs are random encounter tables, in the vein of the tables Warhammer Quest used. With this in mind, I decided to create a set of tables, each themed around a kind of monster (undead, infernal, orcs etc.) The tables would use the "Levels" entry on the Event card and your party's average level to decide what monsters to place. Each table will come with 3 bosses with pre-set level selections from 1 to 10 to use. Then whenever you need a boss, just randomly select one you have used in this dungeon. The only decision you should need to make is which kind of dungeon you want to play.

These tables are based on the suggestion of
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
in his FAQ of using monsters of no more than double the average player level (to a minimum of 2) and bosses of 1 level higher than the average player level. Having said that I haven't tested this at all yet (I'll get a chance over Christmas to do some testing), so I'd appreciate any feedback or play experiences.

Here is a preview of the first of these table: The Forgotten Tomb. An undead-themed dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh dempsey
China
西安
陕西
flag msg tools
"How many lights do you see?"
badge
"There... are... FOUR... lights!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar idea.

My table has 4 different enemy arrangements for each of the six levels (3,6,8,10,12 and 15). It would require you to label each of the four encounter cards for each level by adding the letters A, B, C and D. This means there would be a level 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 6A, 6B, etc.

When placing the enemies, place them in order from the chart onto the red locations specified on the uncharted dungeon card (from left to right, top to bottom). This usually places the ranged attackers towards the back, the strongest in the middle and the "fodder" up front towards the heroes.

There are no bosses, yet. I also haven't tested its balance regarding the heroes levels.

A question regarding this topic, is the maximum number of enemies placed 4 per uncharted dungeon card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
New Zealand
Petone
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 4 is the limit. See page 76 of the Adventurer's Companion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh dempsey
China
西安
陕西
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... That really seems to cut down on the variety of different enemies you can go up against.

I will modify the chart later for a max of 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
New Zealand
Petone
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other rule is that you're only supposed to place one type of enemy per card. This makes things a little tricky when you're only likely to have 3 of most monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Something like this wasn't included in the AC game itself?!

Sheesh. The more I read, the less enthused I am about playing the 'advanced' game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh dempsey
China
西安
陕西
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James K wrote:
The other rule is that you're only supposed to place one type of enemy per card. This makes things a little tricky when you're only likely to have 3 of most monsters.

Hmmm, I thought that meant you couldn't combine Undead with Orcs, or with the Forces of the Abys, etc.

If it is as you say, then I will simply ignore that and do it my way. Having so little variety wouldn't be any fun.

I also don't like the limit of 4 enemy models per Uncharted Dungeon card. This way, you are never outnumbered. It will always be one enemy per hero. It doesn't seem very challenging.

Really quick I added a kind of "level color code" to my chart. I have no idea if it is balanced or not (it most likely is not). But I'm hoping it can be tested out by others and tweaked to become balanced, or give others ideas of how to make an even better chart.

I was shocked as well Matt. The only reason why I backed this Kickstarter was because of the Adventure's Companion and what it promised to provide...ugh. So, I can ether shelve the game, or try to make it work. Hopefully the BBG can come up with something great, because I get the impression Mantic is finished with this game already. :-(

Any ideas how to make my chart, or James's, better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think what the Uncharted Dungeons need to be really sweet are monster cards, pretty much lifting the idea right off Warhammer Quest. You could have a stack of cards representing the potential foes, customize that deck based on the level of your heroes, and use the number of levels from the UD card to determine how many you draw. Each card you draw subtracts from the available levels, and once you match or exceed the levels, you stop drawing. The cards would tell you how many you place of each figure.

So, say you pull an event card that says to place ten levels. You draw a card - skeleton warriors, uses 6 levels, and it tells you to place four warriors and four bone piles. You do that, then you draw again - 5 levels, two skeleton archers and two bone piles. You place those, and you're done.

Keep in mind that I haven't played an Uncharted Dungeon yet, so this idea might not work. And I don't see where UD allows for higher-level heroes, or provides enough variety of mission types. Maybe the monster deck could be customized with 'dungeon event' cards that add a little story twist, or offer up keys to unlock particular rooms or chests.

I don't know, just spitballing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave m
msg tools
VixenTorGames wrote:
I think what the Uncharted Dungeons need to be really sweet are monster cards

Although I typically would agree I think DS + expansions has wayyy too many cards as it is. I would prefer a sheet with a random dice roll. I like the monster panels. I have a whole fricken box of cards and I still don't know which ones I should combine and which ones I should seperate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh dempsey
China
西安
陕西
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dman32 wrote:
VixenTorGames wrote:
I think what the Uncharted Dungeons need to be really sweet are monster cards

Although I typically would agree I think DS + expansions has wayyy too many cards as it is. I would prefer a sheet with a random dice roll. I like the monster panels. I have a whole fricken box of cards and I still don't know which ones I should combine and which ones I should seperate.

I have to agree. The monster card idea sounds really cool, and I'd actually like to see that, but there are already so many cards.

I can see both working well enough though. So, cards or chart, I'd like to see something made to randomize the enemies in Uncharted Dungeons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiff Jaffa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had pretty much the same idea, here is the first draft of mine for the 1st few levels. You draw the card and roll a dice to see exactly what monsters you are placing, based on the idea that lvl 3 and 6 card you have to roll to see if a boss shows up anyway. It should give some variety to each dungeon.

The current method with picking one row upto the card level is just ridiculous especially for solo/coop imo, no balance at all. I also didn't particularly like the single enemy type rule and the 4 models max, I mean I have 6 skeletons etc I may as well use them. Plus i found there where rarely any Pile of Bones (POB) around when needed so i added a few extras.

I have tried it out for a couple of dungeons at lvl 0 and 1 and it seems ok, though Ghosts and armoured zombies can be pretty hard without armour reducing skills (hammer time). Once I'm happy the method is working I will expand for higher levels, I'll upload here if people are interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
New Zealand
Petone
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You make a good point about the piles of bones. I want to at least give the one model type rule a go before changing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip George
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey Jiff!

Thanks alot! It works pretty well! Do you still pla. To add the higher levels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.