Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about where this game might go in the future. A natural path might be to do a fantasy theme. But I think a Sci-Fi theme would be even better: lasers, body armor, camo-armor, rockets, force fields, jet packs, teleportation(?), allowing for a 4th "height" for flying transports and gunships. The flip sides of the map boards could be indoor stuff: space stations, command posts, spaceships to board, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be cool, but I imagine FFG will probably do a more extensive treatment of other theaters, like North Africa, Eastern Front, the Pacific, etc., before applying the rules to another genre. I suspect its evolution will be similar to Memoir '44 followed by Battlelore.

That being said, I'd like to see a Sci-Fi version, too. Let's get that base game out first, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I could see FFG doing this.

Sort of how like the Descent series is evolved from Doom game.

Perhaps the sci-fi theme using the TOI system could be based upon the Twilight Imperium game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that FFG already announced "StarCraft - The Boardgame". So there will be already a game with tactical sci-fi combat. As StarCraft will be released later than ToI maybe that we will recognise one or another rule as the same...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was reading throught hew rules for ToI the image of the Starcraft game instantly came to mind....

I can see something possibly similar (as the WOW game is similar to Runebound, Doom similar to Descent, etc...)...

I'm anxious about both ToI and Starcarft, so I'll pick up both no matter what... call me a FFG fanboy if you must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought StarCraft was going to be Strategic, planetary scale, which disappointed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I thought StarCraft was going to be Strategic, planetary scale, which disappointed me.

Here's hoping it's both, strategic AND tactical.

But as for a sci fi version of TOI, I would like to see that, too, as expansions could incorporate different alien races, technologies, different environments, and the like and not be tied to the Starcraft license which may impose certain limits. FFG does very well with licenses, but when they make their own product in their own worlds, they can get much more creative.

A tactical squad level sci-fi game to complement the strategic world of TI3 could be very doable, I would think, and a lot of fun! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And when the rules came out, the big question in such a game would be:

Can a medium gatling laser take out an Arcturian Tigeroid I Mega-Tank?

laugh laugh laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DSpangler wrote:
And when the rules came out, the big question in such a game would be:

Can a medium gatling laser take out an Arcturian Tigeroid I Mega-Tank?

laugh laugh laugh

Only if you shoot it at close range in the turret flux capacitor !goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
i concur - i almost preordered this game, then i found i was already bored with it. i've got a shelf full of WWII games (mostly hex and counter, but M44 as well) and i can't seem to get excited about this one. Maybe that will change.

However, throw out some mechs, spaceships, futuristic tanks, aliens, and what have you, and i would snap this up in a second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Anyone know for sure whether Starcraft will be tactical or strategic?

I forgot this one was coming out soon...(heh well lets hope so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lagduf wrote:

Anyone know for sure whether Starcraft will be tactical or strategic?

I forgot this one was coming out soon...(heh well lets hope so).

Depends on if the Chinese have another New Years in the summer....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
A Sci-Fi version would be horrible .... for my wallet. I simply couldn't resist it. The only thing saving me now is that I'm not really a fan of the WW2 theme.

Give my bank account a break FFG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most interesting tactical version of Tide of Iron could be a cooperation between FFG and GAMES WORKSHOP!!!
Imagine this ... "WARHAMMER 40K, THE BOARDGAME"!!!
Starting with an epic struggle between Space Marines and Orks and then ... a lot of expansions with Necrons, Chaos, Eldar, Tau and Tyranids!!!

Something to think about!

Jan Colpaert
Belgium (EUROPE)

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neo.colpaert wrote:
WARHAMMER 40K, THE BOARDGAME"!!!

I would love that. It couldn't ever happen, but I would love it.

Actually, I am tempted to use TOI rules for Epic...
(Warhammer 40k's small-scale version)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they made a Sci-Fi version of Tide of Iron they could place it in the Twilight Imperium universe. Then you could actually play out planetary assaults during a TI3 game.

Wow...imagine 15 hour TI3/ToI....gulp

Seriously though a Twilight Imperium universe themed Tide of Iron with units unique to the different races....aaaaaaaaah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a game like this themed for the Twilight Imperium Universe. They could have specific maps and missions on the different planets in TI3, like Hope's End, Mecatol Rex, and the homeworlds. I'm thinking that it would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
I would love to see a game like this themed for the Twilight Imperium Universe. They could have specific maps and missions on the different planets in TI3, like Hope's End, Mecatol Rex, and the homeworlds. I'm thinking that it would be awesome.

Along with planet-specific rules for gravity, terrain, atmosphere etc.?!

Seems there are a number of tac-level sci-fi games out there: eg. Imperial Infantry Squad or Stargrunt II - are any others that might look-and-feel the same as the one envisaged here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

I'd think a sci-fi version would be good to try a set-up for something like UFO Defender. Human ingenuity vs Alien technology. I'd buy that up in a snap.

Or a good X-Com: UFO Defense tactical game. I'd buy that in a second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
the_grip wrote:
i concur - i almost preordered this game, then i found i was already bored with it. i've got a shelf full of WWII games (mostly hex and counter, but M44 as well) and i can't seem to get excited about this one. Maybe that will change.

However, throw out some mechs, spaceships, futuristic tanks, aliens, and what have you, and i would snap this up in a second.

I'm with you. Between a friend having Squad Leader and my having Combat Commander: Europe, my WWII tactical game itch is very nicely scratched, though I'll likely get ToI for a friend's birthday. However, a sci fi version would renew my interest, especially depending on how well-defined a universe they put it in (whether they create one or license one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.