7 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » Strategy

Subject: War combo: Tyr's Prowess + Thor's Ascension + 2x Heimdall's Gaze rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giordano Segatta
msg tools
Hi Friends,

yesterday evening a friend of mine (the one who introduced me to board games) realized an amazing combo in Age III during a 3-players game:

Upgrade card (from Age II)

Tyr's Prowess - 2 - (3+) - If you win a battle, you may keep any of your revealed cards, paying 1 rage each.

During battle

Thor's Ascension - 1 - (2+/4+) - If you win, gain 3 rage and 3 glory.
2x Heimdall's Gaze - 3 - (2+/3+) - You may play this card (and add its STR) after all players' battle cards are revealed.

The battle cards give him a +7 during battle => he easly wins the battle and he gains 3 rage, which are used with Tyr's Prowess to keep the three battle cards instead of discarding them.

...and it was his first game!

Bye
GiĆ²

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
It can be countered by Loki's poison

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seen this exact combo twice now. The first time, the player also had the FireGiant, which made his unlimited rage train even more awesome. The second time this combo was stuffed by Thors cancel txt card, so even though he got to keep Thors Ascension, his rage soon got swallowed up pretty quick not being able to use its effect and spending 3 rage each time keeping the cards.

Also the discard all played cards would counter this
Plus another tip, try to initiate the battles so he doesn't get the pillage reward, just the win glory, and watch his rage fizz out.

I like seeing cool combos like this. Unlike some of the poor drafting I've done in a couple of games gulp (Odins Throne with no quests)(Quest for a province which has already been destroyed by Ragnarok) just to name some of my fails.... Or where they actually planned? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
There's at leat 2 easy counters against this:

Heimdall's Watch: Discard all revealed cards and play new ones;
Loki's Poison: If you lose, take the winning player's cards into your hands.

Funny enough, I won a 4-player game yesterday by playing a +6 and +3 Heimdall's Gaze card with Tyr's Prowess.
Sure I didn't get extra glory and rage but on the other hand I didn't need so many rage to buy back my cards either (usually I already won by playing just the +6 card).
While drafting I also picked Loki's Poison to stop my opponents from sabotaging my tactics! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJJBonez wrote:
Seen this exact combo twice now. The first time, the player also had the FireGiant, which made his unlimited rage train even more awesome. The second time this combo was stuffed by Thors cancel txt card, so even though he got to keep Thors Ascension, his rage soon got swallowed up pretty quick not being able to use its effect and spending 3 rage each time keeping the cards.

Plus another tip, try to initiate the battles so he doesn't get the pillage reward, just the win glory, and watch his rage fizz out.

I like seeing cool combos like this. Unlike some of the poor drafting I've done in a couple of games gulp (Odins Throne with no quests)(Quest for a province which has already been destroyed by Ragnarok) just to name some of my fails.... Or where they actually planned? ninja

The bolded doesn't work, does it? Because Thor's battle cards only require you win the battle, not successfully pillage, by my reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
JJJBonez wrote:

The bolded doesn't work, does it? Because Thor's battle cards only require you win the battle, not successfully pillage, by my reading.

You are right. So you would still need Thors cancel txt card with this counter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Rodgers
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Tyr's Prowess is probably my favorite upgrade, but there's a lot of things that counter this particular combo.

It's rare to pull it off, most times you'll just get smacked down with Heimdall's Watch or Loki's Poison. Even getting hit with Odin's Tide or the Fire Giant and getting wrecked on board position can hurt since a player with Master of Arms (even more so if they have Frigga's Succor) can create STR imbalances that +STR Combat cards alone can't overcome. Particularly if you lost your leader and don't have any monsters to concentrate STR.

Personally, I prefer to draft Thor's Primacy (+3, cancel text) over Thor's Ascension while trying to mantain a decent board position from Age 2 (less rage spent invading means more rage to burn on combat cards). Free invades like Soldier of Hel and Dwarf Chieftan can help too. Also, pillage quick to end the age before your rage taps out (Lord of Hammers can help here).

So, IMO, Good Board position + Thor's Primacy + Rage Management > trying to steamroll with Thor's Ascension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.