Subject: Thanks to Chris Farrell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: blog [+] [View All]
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I logged-on today, only to find out that one of my favorite blogs is about to go into retirement. It's a shame, because Chris's blog was one of my favorites out there. He provided good insight into many games that I was interested in buying and helped me to avoid others. It will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. I'd check in once a month and was always interested in his point of view, even if it didn't mesh with mine (which wasn't often). His ability to articulate his opinion of a game, particularly in comparison or contrast with other games, always impresses me.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chris. I also often disagreed with you, but I valued the commentary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also want to thank Chris for his blog, I'll definitely miss it. I always appreciated his honest critical analysis, and would like to think that his and Mike Siggins' work are the two models which my blog strives to emulate. Here's hoping that he misses it so much that his retirement is as short as Roger Clemens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack, this is disappointing news to hear. I made it a point to check Chris' blog once a week and always enjoyed when he had a new session or review posted. His blog was always well written and the best of all the gaming blogs.

I hope Chris enjoys his time off (and maybe he will feel the urge to start it up again at some point). Regardless, thanks for the many enjoyable reads. You are still a major asset to the gaming community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if Chris' retirement of his blog means, among other things, that he will once again be providing more content directly to BGG in the way of reviews and comments, then it's a good thing! Hopefully this can mean "welcome back" to a more active role for Chris here at the 'Geek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Why is everyone who's won a 2006 Gone Gaming award retiring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have nothing but respect for Mr. Farrell- his views and my views are often terrifyingly divergent but he's the only one of the "name" board game reviewers/bloggers that was really delivering honest, informed opinions rather than just towing the party line on popular games. I really enjoyed his reviews and comments, no matter how withering they might have been to some of my favorites and I think if anything his legacy should be that we all look at games a little more critically and identify what we, as individuals, want out of them.

I'll miss his blog, particularly his year-end roundups that always offered some real surprises but when he mentions that by doing that there were other things he could have been doing...it really puts all of this into perspective, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering why there has not been an update to his blog since his 2006 review.

I made a lot of game purchases , particularly wargames, from Chris's recommendations. And loved every one of them!

Chris, I hope you find the time to give new input here and there for us to read.

Thanks,
Pete S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sheppard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to see the blog go. I've read it regularly since I found it and I credit Chris for bringing me into wargaming. Good luck in your future endeavors Chris!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I game with Chris and like him. And let me add my name to the chorus of those who frequently disagreed with him, but appreciated the well-thought-out nature of his arguments and the fact that he backed them up with useful information that helped clarify my own positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sad news indeed. Chris' was one of my most eagerly checked blog sites, and his opinions and writing helped make a lot of things very clear.

He's still wrong about the 5th settlement in SoC-tCG, tho'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join with the positive comments. Chris is one one of the finest writers on the web, and I love his ability to really analyse and get into the workings of a game.

On the other hand I fully understand the sentiments behind the retirement and the need to do other things.

I suspect he will be back, in time.

Thanks Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris writes a fantastic blog, and I hope in time he will write again! Until then, thanks for the quality content and unique views. I'll be sifting through his old blogs for quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilder
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As one of the above posters said, Mr. Ferrell and I had very different opinions about games, and some of the ones he didn't like are among my favorites. What sets him apart for me was that he always gave a clear reason on WHY he didn't like the game, and that kind of information is always useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really sad, as Chris' reviews and opinions matched mine so very well that I learned to rely heavily on his reviews on games I haven't played, and have not been disappointed.

Thanks Chris, and I do hope that means we'll see more of your writing and great reviews here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone. Chris is a thoughtful writer with a keen appreciation of how games work (or don't) and why. I don't always agree with his opinions, but I understand and respect them.

Happy trails, Chris! Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Blood
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
oh man! i've just started listening to board gaming podcasts, and i was getting caught up on geek speak. just this morning i listened to episode 5 with chris and was going to check out his blog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.