Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK all, I have searched Paizo and BGG and seen multiple discussions and still need clarity.

I will use Lem for the example who provides STR: D4 (no Melee) DEX: D8

"For your check that HAS or is AGAINST a card that has the FINESSE trait, you gain the skill Melee: Dexterity +1"

Reveal the whip which provides Strength or Melee skill + 1D6.

What dice do you roll?

From my understanding, the whip uses "your strength or melee" die which would be a D4 either way. As the finesse power stacks off the melee, we will declare the melee D4. The whip also provides a D6. As the whip is a finesse weapon, you trigger the "Melee Dexterity +1" skill, which would provide your dexterity of D8+1. So, in the end, if I am understanding everything properly, you have:

Melee: D4
Whip: D6
Finesse power: D8+1

Hopefully this helps others (I specifically defined the title for searching purposes) as well as confirms or corrects my understanding. Thanks in advance for contributions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Whip is the card you're using to set which skill you use for the Combat check. It says Strength or Melee +d6. You want to use Melee since it has the Finesse trait. So Lem can use his power to make Melee a Dexterity +1. So your roll would be d8 + 1 + d6. If Lem puts skill feats into Dexterity, he would get those added here as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jeff. Very clear and precise description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to this, it's a follow-up on the Golden Rule when cards conflict with each other. The order of precedence is:

Adventure Path Cards
Adventures
Scenarios
Locations
Characters
Cards

The whip card says Strength or Melee + 1D6. Lem's Strength is D4. A character without a Melee skill would also be D4 (no skill); however, since Lem has an ability that allows him to use his Dexterity when making a melee check with a weapon that has the Finesse trait, Lem's Character card overrules the whip card and you get to use Dexterity for the Melee check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(I know the question is answered)

Follow what the cards say.

You are using the whip.

You must choose strength or melee skill for the check.

Look at your skills.

Hmmm... Strength is d4 nope...
Melee... I don't have that also a d4 ... oh wait this power says that while doing a Finesse check, I have melee d8 +1.

Let's use melee, d8+1

Then add any dice the whip itself provides.

You roll Melee + whip dice (d8+1 + d6)

The "die" you are using for any blessings etc. is the d8 (your special melee die)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After this conversation, the actual text in the book around this exact item is much clearer. Thanks all for the input. It has are Lem a pretty awesome character when you have him stacked with finesse weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is slightly going off-topic, but since this card has been brought up and for other cards with similar text...

Agen7_0range wrote:

So is this:
(Strength or Melee) + 1D6
- or -
Strength or (Melee + 1D6)

In other words, do you get the additional 1d6 with either Strength or Melee, or with only Melee?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card gives you a d6 regardless of strength or melee being chosen for the check. So (strength or melee) + d6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
This is slightly going off-topic, but since this card has been brought up and for other cards with similar text...

Agen7_0range wrote:

So is this:
- or -
Strength or (Melee + 1D6)

In other words, do you get the additional 1d6 with either Strength or Melee, or with only Melee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why the cards say "...use your Strength or Melee skill +1d6..." The extra word clarifies the meaning (at least, that's the intent. Other translations notwithstanding.arrrh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.