3 Posts

Far Space Foundry» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant possibilities for 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
mbmbmb
I found the two player game dull and slow. The mechanics work well - and it's an enjoyable game that unfortunately is too slow to start up. You have enough minerals, but it's hard to get the alien pilots, if you're lucky you get one - and to make it more interesting, you want at least two.

So, I believe to make things a little more interesting by adding some new mechanics.

- After landing on the alien pod, the player gets to hire two aliens for one coin instead of one alien, with the two aliens being from the four shown. However, the player picks one, and the opponent picks one.

- Prior to turning over the board to Beta phase if a player hasn't used the bribe action, they may do so now and shuffle anything around from their warehouse to their shuttles (Essentially giving the player the maximum options for Beta phase and the story behind it is that the Dock Master has plenty of dock workers who are willing to work for a quick buck loading items and not asking questions).

- During both Alpha and Beta sections, the dice is rolled 4 times and shuttles are placed. If the same number comes up 4 times, well, only one shuttle is placed. I thought it weird that all shuttles were in orbit when clearly you've already been at work. This way you can start getting more minerals or moving more minerals faster - as the start up can be quite slow. Obviously, if you get four different numbers, four different shuttles start.

- Finally, I feel that there could be more choice in the manufacturing. The first time you land on manufacturing during Beta, the players get an additional random item to manufacture. This way you get something you haven't planned for - and adds some randomness to the game. With both players - this makes the manufactured items go from 3 to five, the maximum, so no additional space required.

Overall I enjoy this game. It has some great pieces and some good mechanics. With some tweaks to make the game a little more immediate, I found the two player game more interesting than it is with the ruleset as designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
your ideas are very much wellcomed, anything to jump start this game a bit is an improvment.
As another suggetion, after all the cards are played thru pick up the your discarded cards again and go thru them one more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
mbmbmb
That would essentially double the playtime - and I didn't want that. With my variant suggestions it's already a little longer than it started out as. And I wasn't going for length so much as more actions and more options and more immediacy.

And I should clarify:

When getting the alien from the cantina, you choose one for yourself and the opponent chooses one for you as well. Not for them. You get two aliens.

The dice is rolled at the beginning of the Alpha and Beta sections to start up where shuttles start. There would be a minimum of one and a maximum of four already docked - making mineral transportation a little more immediate without adding much if anything to the time.

The manufacturing choice seems a little superfluous - a fun diversion, but only adds randomness and not the immediacy I was looking for. Still - it makes the game a little more interesting.

The bribe action can only be done during Alpha only if it hasn't been done so with it's normal use. In the use I prescribe, I suggest that the dick workers have unloaded anything and everything they can for you to your awaiting shuttles - giving you maximum playtime for the Beta phase. However, this one just gives more playtime rather than immediacy. It's not as immediately gratifying like the pods already having up to four shuttles docked or getting an additional alien when entering the cantina - which was really the intention of this list. Still - the option exists because you are now able to play longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.