Subject: A couple of Rule Changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angela Caunce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game but I always play with 2 rule changes:

1). Don't allocate starting pieces. So everyone plays the same piece at the same time all the way through.

2). Players are not allowed to skip any placements. So everyone has to play all their pieces.

These changes mean that there is an even playing field, so you can directly compare performance at the end - in the same way as games like Take it Easy! or Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dicely wrote:

1). Don't allocate starting pieces. So everyone plays the same piece at the same time all the way through.

2). Players are not allowed to skip any placements. So everyone has to play all their pieces.

These changes mean that there is an even playing field, so you can directly compare performance at the end - in the same way as games like Take it Easy! or Cities

Number 2 isn't necessary to achieve your stated objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Caunce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Dicely wrote:

Fair point, but that's the way I prefer to get there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dicely wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Dicely wrote:

Fair point, but that's the way I prefer to get there

No, it's how you prefer to play. But it's not how you get to that objective.

Why does this matter? Because the two things you suggest are separate and can be liked or disliked separately. And you've provided no reason why you like number 2. (I have some sympathy with number 1, though I play as published.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Caunce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Number 2 is a different challenge which I enjoy, try it sometime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the rules changes allow opponents to mirror another player's moves, resulting in tied games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Caunce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGetTrivial wrote:
Both the rules changes allow opponents to mirror another player's moves, resulting in tied games.

Yes, with these types of games (Take it Easy etc.), it is theoretically possible for two or more players to have exactly the same configuration of pieces at the end. I have played this game many many times and, although in the first few turns people usually choose the same moves, by the end of the game I have never seen two boards the same (that I remember). Plus, the game is played over 4 rounds so unless someone is deliberately copying (which I've also never seen) it is unlikely. Players are usually too busy agonising over their board to look at anyone else's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGetTrivial wrote:

It's just the first one that matters here, you can mirror with or without the second.

The mirroring issue depends a lot on whether people will mirror. The incidence will increase with better play, but how likely it is only experiment would tell.

(I did playtest this one once before publication. But the first rule was already in place - I've no idea if Reiner tried and rejected a symmetric start. I'm fairly sure the other rule was in place too.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.