Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a viable build in a 120 point (50 point per ship max) to get 2 starter sets and take Enterprise-D and standard Galaxy class?
I don't have a lot of ships choices,
For now:
Starter, Klingon Kronus one, Chang's BOP, Tinyprise, NX01, obereth, the first 2 Xindi ships from recent OPs, a couple of others from the blind pull, The 2 vulcan ships I could find on shelf,

I was contemplating getting a second Starter to give me some extra build options as a federation player. Most of the "recommended" ships I read about here are out of print. (Voyager, Enterprise-E, Hood, and so on, even iconic Scimitar so I can't even recreate some of the movie.TV show battles)
My thought went:
Using Tinyprise crew, Kirk and Picard ("9" captain on each!), and mines on each. 40 to 47 points each and a 3rd ship as a one shot wonder support ship to round out to 120 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats your OP event rules? if they are just as per wizkids then you would probably be better building something else.

I ran 3 Galaxy's at one point for a OP (all good things, it felt right), the turn rate on them is the big issue, although Admiral Forrest can fix that.

Im not sure that the ships you mention are out of print, a couple of places local to me still have decent stock of them.

I came up with this as a fed pure list, you could probably do better depending on your Meta:

List Name

U.S.S Enterprise-D (28)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Adm. Maxwell Forrest (3)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Andy Simonson (2)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Ship SP: 47

Galaxy Class (26)
James T. Kirk (6)
Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver (3)
Cheat Death (3)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Aft Phase Cannon (2)

Enterprise NX-01 (16)
Clark Terrell (1)
Data (3)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Enhanced Hull Plating (0)
Ship SP: 25

Total Build SP: 119

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bowyer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd look at other ships than a second starter at this point. A second generic galaxy won't give you more card options and thats probably what you need.

Fighters Could be a good call. Delta flyer has some nice useful cards. There's also the thunder child, defiant, excelsior... That's if you're going fed. Seen a few Prometheus pop up in my local meta.

There are several hoods on eBay, but as a good prize ship you're talking £25 ish but it won't get any more common I don't think or any cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a certain affection for the Galaxy Wing, something like this

U.S.S. Enterprise-D [Starter] (28)
Jean-Luc Picard [Starter] (6)
Fleet Captain: Independent (Federation) [Fleet Captain Resource] (5)
Tom Paris [U.S.S. Voyager] (4)
Total (43)

Galaxy Class [Starter] (26)
Clark Terell [U.S.S. Reliant] (1)
William T. Riker [U.S.S. Hood] (3)
Dorsal Phaser Array [U.S.S. Enterprise-E] (5)
Total (35)

Galaxy Class [Starter] (26)
Mr. Spock [U.S.S. Enterprise (Refit)] (4)
Adm Maxwell Forrest [Enterprise NX-01] (3)
Elizabeth Shelby [U.S.S. Yeager] (2)
Systems Upgrade [U.S.S. Hood] (2)
Dorsal Phaser Array [U.S.S. Enterprise-E] (5)
Total (42)

Fleet total: 120

Generated by Space Dock for iOS
http://spacedockapp.org

But really the Galaxy isn't the best choice these days. Only do it if you really have an affection for it. The Galaxy just has such a terrible maneuver dial that the Sovereign and Prometheus are better choices and you can buy those off the rack. As you can see I used both Admiral Forrest AND the Indy Fed fleet captain to allow the Galaxy wing to actually turn once in a while.

Also if you want to try this, you can usually find someone selling the Galaxy class out of the starter kit separately on eBay. I have 4 of them now and one is upgraded to Galaxy X (third nacelle, phaser lance, etc.) from a kit on Shapeways designed to directly upgrade the WK Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
Whats your OP event rules? if they are just as per wizkids then you would probably be better building something else.

I ran 3 Galaxy's at one point for a OP (all good things, it felt right), the turn rate on them is the big issue, although Admiral Forrest can fix that.

Im not sure that the ships you mention are out of print, a couple of places local to me still have decent stock of them.

I came up with this as a fed pure list, you could probably do better depending on your Meta:

List Name

U.S.S Enterprise-D (28)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Adm. Maxwell Forrest (3)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Andy Simonson (2)
Antimatter Mines (5)

Galaxy Class (26)
James T. Kirk (6)
Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver (3)
Cheat Death (3)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Aft Phase Cannon (2)

Enterprise NX-01 (16)
Clark Terrell (1)
Data (3)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Enhanced Hull Plating (0)
Ship SP: 25

Total Build SP: 119

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Well where I'm at the Local Game stores are not carrying because of low sales and when they look for them through their distributors etc. they are not available. WizKids needs to reprint the "iconic" ships at least - maybe mark the reprints with different paint scheme and card with some sort of publishing date etc. so you know it's not the original (for collectors). I thought this was a "non-collectable" game - guess I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizkids already said that they are not going to reprint any of the old ships anymore. It was their intention to make it more of a "collectable Miniatures game". They will most likely make new versions of the more popular ships someday, with new stats and upgrades. That seems to be their normal way of doing things from looking at their other games. I would be willing to bet that after they cycle through all of the already announces expansions and if the game is still profitable enough for them that they will undoubtedly release new versions of those ships someday. They will always make new versions of popular figures to keep making money off a game. Heroclix is a good example. After several years of that game, with countless characters from the comic universes to draw from, to this day they still feel the need to release a new Wolverine in almost every Marvel set (despite there being like 50+ versions of him already).

There is no doubt in my mind that if they aren't bored with making Attack Wing (which Wizkids seems to do a lot with some of their games) and it is still making them money, there will be new versions of the popular ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Ender02 wrote:
Wizkids already said that they are not going to reprint any of the old ships anymore. It was their intention to make it more of a "collectable Miniatures game".

Where is this confirms? Is this official?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_sten wrote:
Ender02 wrote:
Wizkids already said that they are not going to reprint any of the old ships anymore. It was their intention to make it more of a "collectable Miniatures game".

It was from a solicit that Wizkids put out to their distributors to pass along to stores. It basically said that they were no longer producing the older expansions and what is out there in circulation is it for those ships. The idea was to make the game into something more collectible and increase demand for the older ships, allowing the stores to push older stock off the shelves to make room for new expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Douglas
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
badge
Destroyers RULE and Battleships DROOL!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
mike_sten wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

It was from a solicit that Wizkids put out to their distributors to pass along to stores. It basically said that they were no longer producing the older expansions and what is out there in circulation is it for those ships. The idea was to make the game into something more collectible and increase demand for the older ships, allowing the stores to push older stock off the shelves to make room for new expansions.

So, they admitted that there isn't the demand for their high volume of, let's be honest, mediocre monthly expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.