Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
93 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: In need of great husband and wife games (2 player) that are medium/heavy with chrome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are both avid gamers. This is the elusive perfect game for me since we don't have any children and rarely play games with others. So far on my Christmas wish list is Race For the Galaxy and Dominant Species. Games we already have that fit this criteria are Arkham Horror series, Elder Sign, etc.. Tales Of the Arabian Nights (ZMan), World Of Warcraft and the Adventure game, DungeonQuest+, Memoir '44, War Of the Ring, Space Empires 4x, some off the top of my head… I don't want recommendations of games like Lost Cities and expect an avalanche of recommendations like this but a better recommendation would be for example Raptor. Lost Cities is way too small of a game for us. And before anyone recommends it, Pandemic is a horrid two player game, I'm bewildered about its reputation as a "good" two player game because that's impossible to be true . No games either with deck building . I realize that this question probably gets asked a lot, sorry, but I need to knock out these possibilities.

Another important thing is that the game has to be forgiving, so nothing like Power Grid or other intensely strategic/mathematical games. I don't want to even possibly be able to min/max analyze/break a game. The game should play itself rather simply. Race For the Galaxy has some math I guess to it but I don't know I haven't played it.

A recommendation should be BEST with two.
Not mediocre/sort of with two.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Caverna is our favorite medium-to-heavy game for 2p.

If RFTG is heavy enough for you, then also give Village a try.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
btw a clarification, if anyone knows…

We have the FFG reprint of DungeonQuest , I meant to expand on this in my OP but anyway, there has been another reprint , does anyone know what the combat is like compared to the original? This is a fantastic two player game , if you haven't ever played it before or maybe you have and should give it another go.. it's a riot of laughter.. the secret to unlock the fun potential of this game is like Tales OF the Arabian Nights to just play it a few times over. You don't have to close the game away just because someone won you can play another 5min game of it. I wish there were more games like this that played longer, but it's still the best "I go into a dungeon, press my luck" game I've ever seen. So don't knock it, name something better. Can't be done. It's the Talisman of dungeon games. Adventurers is another game we have but it's not nearly as epic as DungeonQuest. The way we fixed the combat system is just to play it Talisman style where the monster hits you or he doesn't. The monsters are strong enough that they can one shot and kill you anyway. It doesn't need anything more than roll a dice for you and the monster see who wins.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrak wrote:
Caverna is our favorite medium-to-heavy game for 2p.

If RFTG is heavy enough for you, then also give Village a try.


those games are nothing alike at all?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrak wrote:
Caverna is our favorite medium-to-heavy game for 2p.
Village a try.


I should have also said if it looks like a eurogame we're not going to like it.

No to convoluted / busy worker-placement games.

The reason I love RFTG is because it is a card game without so many ridiculous components.

There are some eurogames that I like such as Thurn And Taxis that play well with two but feel more like a train game than a eurogame .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite and 3rd favourite 2-player games are War of the Ring and Arkham Horror respectively, I quite like Tales of the Arabian Nights, and I find Pandemic intensely (almost unplayably) dull, so I think our tastes align. Here are my suggestions:

Android - it says it is for 3-5 players, but it really only plays 2-3 (it plays both counts very well - I don't think it is better with 3 than 2). Just look in the forum for the 2-player setup; basically just place evidence for a third player, but don't use one. (This is my 2nd favourite 2-player game.)

Battle of Five Armies - not quite as good as War of the Ring, but nothing is, and it is still very good. Feels more like one single big battle and takes less time.

(More speculative because I haven't managed to get this to the table yet, but) Runewars - Everyone says it is the version of Twilight Imperium that works for 2 players.

Also, possibly Star Trek: Fleet Captains - it is a very good adventure game if you like Star Trek and bear in mind that the rulebook is kind of terrible.

Also, in terms of card games, I like Innovation a lot more than Race for the Galaxy (which always strikes me as a very small step removed from multi-player solitaire).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused, no worker placement eurogames but Dominant species is on his wishlist.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
Maple Ridge
B.C.
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork, summoner wars, splendor, pandemic legacy(2 characters each), forbidden stars, castles of mad King Ludwig, archipelago, lanterns, Battlelore.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
huckins_1971 wrote:
I'm confused, no worker placement eurogames but Dominant species is on his wishlist.

That one is excellent with 2, but doesn't meet his forgiving criteria. You need to beg that game for mercy. You also won't be able to min/max it as there is too much tactical play for that (the game has a lot of chaos, not to be confused with luck).

RftG is the exact opposite (and pretty much multiplayer solitaire). The whole 'best with 2' is entirely subjective but if you want consensus, BGG is not the place to seek it. Caylus also plays well with 2, as do the majority of my games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hard to give you a recommendation on any particular game based on your requirements and exclusions, but here are some games my wife and I enjoy playing with just the two of us:

Quantum
Bioshock: Siege of Colombus
Splendor
Hyperborea
Summoner Wars
Tash Kalar
Dungeon Twister: The Card Game
Dungeon Lords
Evolution
Patchwork

Take these with a grain of salt, as my wife and I also enjoy Pandemic, brain burning games, and other Euros~
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RFTG is a great choice already. Really good 2p game. I hope you enjoy it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddiepbauer wrote:


Take these with a grain of salt, as my wife and I also enjoy Pandemic, brain burning games, and other Euros~


I don't mean to nuke a discussion or rub salt on the wounds of eurogame fans all I am saying is,

If a game really forces you to analyze it intensely , like Power Grid, where you literally need to take a calculator, that is too unforgiving.

I don't know enough about Dominant Species, maybe I am wrong and making a bad choice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana - Very thematic, neat cards, light on chrome in terms on miniatures or fancy components.

Not best with two, I think it's best with three, but it plays very well with two.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a silly thing to have to say about boardgames but I think it is true there is a tendency for eurogames to have very silly but quite sinister racist overtones , I'd like to avoid playing games that have that. It's 2015 I really don't want to add any colonialist games to my board game collection. I find these games really goofy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan N

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
This seems like a silly thing to have to say about boardgames but I think it is true there is a tendency for eurogames to have very silly but quite sinister racist overtones , I'd like to avoid playing games that have that. It's 2015 I really don't want to add any colonialist games to my board game collection. I find these games really goofy.


I know! It's distressing. My fiancé and I have the same issue. I know some people can look past it and say it's 'pasted on theme', but then they could have pasted on a different theme then too. Anyways, we're in the same boat in looking for medium/heavy games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
seeingstars wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:
This seems like a silly thing to have to say about boardgames but I think it is true there is a tendency for eurogames to have very silly but quite sinister racist overtones , I'd like to avoid playing games that have that. It's 2015 I really don't want to add any colonialist games to my board game collection. I find these games really goofy.


I know! It's distressing. My fiancé and I have the same issue. I know some people can look past it and say it's 'pasted on theme', but then they could have pasted on a different theme then too. Anyways, we're in the same boat in looking for medium/heavy games.


I don't know anything about Puerto Rico as far as what historical context it is supposed to have but every time I load up colonists , with brown wooden cubes, I feel like I am loading up slave ships, and it … just feels weird! I don't even really care what is supposed to be happening or what their lives were actually like as far as the historical context of the individual game goes, but I immediately get that reminder from it, and it's just plain weird. It could have a space theme, it could be anything else, but it has to be that? I have a similar problem with Letters To Whitechapel, great game, but why do I have to go around killing women to have fun?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
squiz wrote:
RFTG is a great choice already. Really good 2p game. I hope you enjoy it!


I think the OP is underestimating the replay-ability of Race for the Galaxy. You don't really need more games. My wife and I are gamers and have been playing RFTG for over 6 years. Often multiple times in a session, every day of the week. With the expansions we still go back to it after trying other games. I am always heavily researching other games to try, but inevitably after a few weeks we go back to RFTG. I recommend getting just a couple of games like RFTG and then borrowing from your game group periodically if you need a change.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
seeingstars wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:
This seems like a silly thing to have to say about boardgames but I think it is true there is a tendency for eurogames to have very silly but quite sinister racist overtones , I'd like to avoid playing games that have that. It's 2015 I really don't want to add any colonialist games to my board game collection. I find these games really goofy.


I know! It's distressing. My fiancé and I have the same issue. I know some people can look past it and say it's 'pasted on theme', but then they could have pasted on a different theme then too. Anyways, we're in the same boat in looking for medium/heavy games.


I don't know anything about Puerto Rico as far as what historical context it is supposed to have but every time I load up colonists , with brown wooden cubes, I feel like I am loading up slave ships, and it … just feels weird! I don't even really care what is supposed to be happening or what their lives were actually like as far as the historical context of the individual game goes, but I immediately get that reminder from it, and it's just plain weird. It could have a space theme, it could be anything else, but it has to be that? I have a similar problem with Letters To Whitechapel, great game, but why do I have to go around killing women to have fun?



Puerto Rico was remade with a space theme. And for 2 players. With cards. Called Race for the Galaxy.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow ?
1960: The Making of the President ?

Those 2 are heavy 2p games. My wife hated both, but yours seems different
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
so far many of these games are simply too hard
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
huckins_1971 wrote:
I'm confused, no worker placement eurogames but Dominant species is on his wishlist.


And, it is NOT good with 2!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
huckins_1971 wrote:
I'm confused, no worker placement eurogames but Dominant species is on his wishlist.


And, it is NOT good with 2!


I heard you can simply play more than 1 animal and immediately the game is awesome with 2. Correct me I am wrong.

Is this a good two-player game? Galaxy Trucker ? Our games collection isn't massive so any recommendations even if they're old I'd like to hear.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
A for effort at least. It took me reading 4 of your rejections to get it.

Good ol boring overlooked Scrabble is my suggestion.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rabid_schnauzer wrote:
A for effort at least. It took me reading 4 of your rejections to get it.

Good ol boring overlooked Scrabble is my suggestion.


Looking for : Husband / Wife Game

No to : Convoluted, mathy, eurogames / Deck-building games / games with difficult themes to them such as colonialism or sexism / no light games such as Lost Cities

Yes to : War games , ameritrash games like Arkham Horror, light eurogames such as Thurn & Taxis or Blue Moon City, Raptor, etc… Most eurogamers here who are avid eurogames are probably into games that are simply too hard to play for us. My betrothed (can I use this word without sounding weird?) is way smarter than me though.

an example of a suitable euro that was recommended is the Village . I might get this game. but we're not wowed with worker placement games, they're just boring.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.