United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I love the idea of this game, but am not a fan of PnP. Too much time, and often ends of quite expensive if you don't time it right to catch a sale, or you "know a guy". Plus, with little kids... There's just no chance I'd ever do it.

But from what I read, this game is pretty fun.

What if you just offered a Kickstarter for the cards, tokens, rules and map tiles? Maybe standees for the figures? Just the paper stuff. I bet you could go through Panda or similar, and with enough orders offer this for a reasonable price - around $50-60 seems to be about the going rate for paper-only KS these days, right?

Perhaps you could get back to the folks at Reaper and ask if they'd be cool with selling figure packs for it? Ask if Dwarven Forge could cut you a deal on some of their map packs?

This game seems to offer a lot of what I'd be looking for in a Dungeon Crawler - and since I've got most of 'em... I already have all the figures I need!

Whaddya say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well cards, tokens, rules, map tiles and standees are basically the entire game! I've been asked about doing a Kickstarter before elsewhere, and this was my reply:

Quote:
Yes, ever since Kickstarter had become a thing, I've been thinking about it.

The thing holding me up is that I want to make sure everything is complete and in working order before I even try to start a campaign. I don't wanna be one of those guys who takes people's money, takes a few years, then ships out something crappy. I want to have everything done, prices quoted, and ready to fire as soon as funding ends, provided it gets enough.

Right now I'm kinda redoing a lot of the graphics for the game components. When I first designed them, they were done with minimalistic printing costs for home printers in mind. Things like the cards, especially. I'm creating full-color graphics for them with full-bleed edges so they'd look presentable on a table, and will be set up for professional printing and die-cutting.

I'm also in the process of converting the rule books from MS Word ******* "Why the hell did I ever think this was a good idea" format into Adobe InDesign. Wasn't easy at first; had to teach myself how to use the software from scratch, but I got it all working. When it's all complete, it'll all look a lot more professional than it does now.

Not sure if I'm going to even try to get Miniatures done at this point. Might just stick with the standees, since they'll be cheaper to produce and that cost saving can be passed to the customers, something that's always been big in my book.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning it. Always nice to see a bit of interest in the game!

If the printing cost is what you're stuck on (and that's totally understandable) some people just print out the Treasure and Dungeon Lord cards (on standards 8.5x11 paper) and use either graph paper or a Chessex Battlemat to recreate the boards (I sometimes even use the Battlemat when playing even though I have everything printed out). If you like to play on prettier-looking boards, the included Adventures could always be adapted to work on any number of other game boards, like Warhammer Quest or Descent.

Anyway, thanks for your interest in the game! I don't have any kind of timetable for if and when I can get a Kickstarter done, but I'll be sure to post about it here when the time comes!

-alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for the reply, and I'm happy to wait until it's all done and ready. I like the idea of your "base set" just having cardboard standees though that often makes for a harder sell on kickstarter. But arranging to have minis made for the game will add another year or two to your Kickstarter timelines. I've subscribed to the game page here at BGG, and am in no rush.

But certainly ready to hand over cash when you think you're ready to take it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sounds great.

One of my biggest goals was to make a game that was big and expansive, but didn't carry the same pricetag as games like Descent. While I would love to have miniatures custom made, I think it would only turn my game into the same type of 80-dollar-box game as the others. I guess that wouldn't be so bad, I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 vote for both Kickstarting this game and for using standees instead of minis. Of course minis tend to drive Kickstarter funding, but they also generally cause significant delays (especially for companies that don't specialize in minis).

Gloomhaven (a recent Kickstarter game which did very well) also used standees, and they look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Kickstarter. But I hate standees!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I also like miniatures a lot more. In my head, the perfect scenario would be for Reaper to put together a set of Bones miniatures that would contain everything you need for Dungeon Crawl. There are some people who like tokens/standees, and the more serious hobbyists who like the miniatures, and I'd love for there to be a choice. I don't even know how possible that is, but that would be the coolest thing, to me. People who already have miniatures can just buy the rules, people who don't would have a perfect pack of miniatures to complement the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got into frostgrave (like a lot of people) and I think the success of that game is that the author designed it to have a use for his own miniature collection.
I have so many right now and I think I don't need more.
If there's no miniature-range for this game it's OK as long as you stay in the-generic-fantasy-genre.
As soon as there are monsters you have never seen anywhere else... well then of course you need minis.
I think for a published version standees would still be OK (perhaps those plastic ones?). Some of my friends won't buy miniature games because they would never be able to paint them like me (I spoiled them to much). For them Standees might even be better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Standees with good artwork are a million times better than unpainted minis. Can't wait for people to get over this plastic craze. All it does is make things more expensive, without adding anything at all to the game.

Cardboard rules, plastic drools!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ha! Not a chance! Plastic toy soldiers are teh best! They'll never be replaced by poor, imitation standees even with good artwork!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mack
msg tools
Obviously everyone has an opinion. For example some people prefer miniatures to standees but only when they are painted.

I think the standees by default + list of equivalent minis or official extension pack containing the minis should cover most use cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Ha! Not a chance! Plastic toy soldiers are teh best! They'll never be replaced by poor, imitation standees even with good artwork!!

I agree with that!

But then again I'm a hobby-painter. For me more than half the gaming-hobby is pimping my dungeons by crafting terrain and painting miniatures. I love it when you feel you have to take a break just to admire the scenery... and we often do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.