Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I hope you are having a good weekend. I don't understand very well the "taking a die" action.

You always have to pay for the cost indicated in the slot but if the value of the die is lower you only pay the difference. But what if the value of the die is bigger or equal?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexanauta wrote:
Hey guys,

I hope you are having a good weekend. I don't understand very well the "taking a die" action.

You always have to pay for the cost indicated in the slot but if the value of the die is lower you only pay the difference. But what if the value of the die is bigger or equal?

Thanks for your help!

You always pay money equal to the value listed on your player board minus the value of the die. If that number is equal to or less than zero, you pay nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help!

You always pay money equal to the value listed on your player board minus the value of the die. If that number is equal to or less than zero, you pay nothing.

Thanks for your response Thomas. So if I take a die with value 6 and place it in the turquoise space, do I pay zero? If I take a die with value 5 and place it in the red space, do I pay zero too?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexanauta wrote:
MDJD wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your response Thomas. So if I take a die with value 6 and place it in the turquoise space, do I pay zero? If I take a die with value 5 and place it in the red space, do I pay zero too?

Thanks!

Correct on both counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
MDJD wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help!

Thanks!

Correct on both counts.

Thanks Thomas! Unfortunately we played wrongly. We always paid the value from the space if the die was equal or bigger if it was a lower value then we payed the difference but we basically had no free actions with dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexanauta wrote:
MDJD wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
MDJD wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help!

Thanks!

Correct on both counts.

Thanks Thomas! Unfortunately we played wrongly. We always paid the value from the space if the die was equal or bigger if it was a lower value then we payed the difference but we basically had no free actions with dice.

You're quite welcome.

Indeed, the way you played would completely destroy the game. The tension comes from deciding whether or not to use low or high dice. Dice with a numerical value equal to or higher than the action slot incur no financial penalty.

The lure of using lower value dice, and paying the cost, is to get the end of round bonuses. Without collecting at least some of those, you are unlikely to be able to win.

Hope you have fun playing in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case you may be playing anything else slightly wrong, check out the official rules video which WYG asked me to do. I pretty much cover all of the rules in under 17 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiuhy6kZ29k

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
MDJD wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
MDJD wrote:
Hexanauta wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help!

Thanks!

Correct on both counts.

You're quite welcome.

Indeed, the way you played would completely destroy the game. The tension comes from deciding whether or not to use low or high dice. Dice with a numerical value equal to or higher than the action slot incur no financial penalty.

The lure of using lower value dice, and paying the cost, is to get the end of round bonuses. Without collecting at least some of those, you are unlikely to be able to win.

Hope you have fun playing in the future.

Thanks Thomas! Despite the few mistakes we really enjoyed the game, we are counting the days to play it again.

Last question if you don't mind.

My opponent claimed a reward that allowed him to play an extra action, but before performing the extra action we had reset the initiative track. So when he performed it a helper allowed him to advance in the initiative track, so, does that mean that thanks to that extra action he will be first the next round? or Did we do something wrong again?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Just in case you may be playing anything else slightly wrong, check out the official rules video which WYG asked me to do. I pretty much cover all of the rules in under 17 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiuhy6kZ29k

Hey Paul!

I watched your video and thanks to it I was able to understand the game quickly before explaining it to my friend yesterday, I was blown away by your clear accent and the great way you explained things. Fantastic job!

However, it's my fault that I didn't understand very well the "taking a die" action, your video is clear enough!

Thanks for your hard work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The end of every round is resolved in a specific order. It is not uncommon for someone to advance on the initiative track after resetting it. This just means they will start in that position the next round instead of starting at zero, but does not affect the already resolved player order for the upcoming round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
The end of every round is resolved in a specific order. It is not uncommon for someone to advance on the initiative track after resetting it. This just means they will start in that position the next round instead of starting at zero, but does not affect the already resolved player order for the upcoming round.

Thanks Thomas! It makes sense now. Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.