K. David Ladage
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infinite City is a great game. I do not own a copy (a friend had one, so we played his). He has moved on and so I went looking for a copy.

My local stores cannot seem to acquire it. EBay never seems to have one. Noble Knight is out of stock. Amazon has a few used copies that are insanely expensive.

And the promise of IC2 seems to have fallen into oblivion.

What the heck happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
KDLadage wrote:
Infinite City is a great game. I do not own a copy (a friend had one, so we played his). He has moved on and so I went looking for a copy.

My local stores cannot seem to acquire it. EBay never seems to have one. Noble Knight is out of stock. Amazon has a few used copies that are insanely expensive.

And the promise of IC2 seems to have fallen into oblivion.

What the heck happened?

A print run that sold out, but evidently did not sell well enough (which in this instance would mean quickly, to reduce the cost of warehousing) would appear to have happened (or possibly it did not sell out, but was instead pulped when it started costing more than it brought in). Reprints are rare in this industry, and a game that didn't sell well enough to reprint is unlikely to inspire a sequel (and very, very few board games do that anyway).

Although I do see at least one copy being listed in the BGG marketplace each week (I am subscribed in the hope that some day an Australian will want to offload their copy).

If you want it, you're just going to have to pay the going price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. David Ladage
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the idea that a game that does not sell well, or quickly enough may not get a second print run. I get that. I truly do. But this is a game that was evidently selling well enough that Infinite City 2 was being talked about, and even given a tentative release schedule.

So I have to wonder what happened between Infinite City 2 Coming This Summer (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/768027/infinite-city-2-...) and now, when picking up a copy will cost you between $65-130.

It's just sad. Infinite City is a wonderful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
KDLadage wrote:
I get the idea that a game that does not sell well, or quickly enough may not get a second print run. I get that. I truly do. But this is a game that was evidently selling well enough that Infinite City 2 was being talked about, and even given a tentative release schedule.

So I have to wonder what happened between Infinite City 2 Coming This Summer (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/768027/infinite-city-2-...) and now, when picking up a copy will cost you between $65-130.

It's just sad. Infinite City is a wonderful game.

Seems fairly clear in that thread what happened. Nobody is interested in paying for and publishing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. David Ladage
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea.. I just read it start to finish. I had stopped prior when the infighting began. But I get it, I suppose.

Just saddens me. Means I will have to wait a while before I can get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
I playtested IC2. It was a lot of fun and I'm sad it never happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dillard
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw one on ebay today (4/8/2016) as is... You could at least ask them to count the cards and tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
I playtested IC2. It was a lot of fun and I'm sad it never happened.

As did I, though I really wish I still had the most up-to-date PNP files. I've love to make a copy again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.