Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I don't really know if this is a Strategy or a General thread, but I've played 2 games now (one as each side) and it seems like you are either broke or spending all your clicks on money for the most part. This is with the base deck, using Jintaki and the Shaper.

Some turns managed to turn out a few credits, if you had the right cards. Specific cards gave decent money, but it seemed easy for me as the Runner to trash the long-term moneymakers for the Corporation. In both games, it seemed like a lot of clicks were spent earning money, especially if you didn't have a 2-for-1 out there.

In a typical game, how many clicks are spent on money? Does it get better with different factions, different decks, or expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall core set Shaper, but core set Jinteki is ridiculously poor, so it shouldn't be unusual to have to click for credits. Yes, it does get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I felt that the Corp had more of an issue than the Runner in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan T
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have played 200 games but I still feel like a beginner. You should have enough economy cards in the deck for the cards you want to play so you don't have to click for (single) credits. But it is often the case that you don't find the economy cards, or that you have a Sure Gamble/Hedge Fund in hand but only 2 credits, and will have to click up to 5. Having to click for credits is inefficient and feels like you're not playing the game right. I often end up clicking for credits when I have good cards in hand that I want to install and I don't want to discard them and instead draw for economy cards. I think I spend 5-10 clicks a game just clicking for credits, more when I have a new deck that I haven't worked out the economy for yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In core-only play (i.e. with no data packs available for your decks) it is very common for the Corporation to spend clicks, even entire turns, gaining credits. Often the best time to do this is when you have no agendas in HQ or in remotes that are vulnerable to being stolen, and just want to prepare for later turns. Even if you have a bunch of money already, it's not usually wrong to do this.

Runners in the core set /typically/ have better ways to get money rather than just straight clicking for credits, but only if you do a little bit of deck building. Magnum Opus for Kate and Gabe's ability and economy cards (easy mark, bank job) usually mean you aren't clicking for credits. Noise needs to import some of these cards to be on par.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Austin Kinslow
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
"OBVIOUSLY."
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note - if you rez every piece of ice the runner pushes through you'll be constantly clicking for credits. Many card games with a resource system (like Magic's mana) encourage you to efficiently spend your resources as they typically "refill" in some way. Netrunner isn't a "use it or lose it" game. You have to ask yourself each time you rez something if it is worth it at that stage in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, don't fall into the trap of thinking "I have these credit so I might as well play this operation or rez this ICE/asset/upgrade"

A corp without credit can't rez ICE, and the runner knows this. Spending all of your credits opens you up a lot. On the other hand, if you have unrezzed ICE on the table and you are holding a lot of credits, the runner may think twice about making a run. Your ICE could be completely worthless, but the runner doesn't know this and the stack of credits you have is very intimidating.

Spending clicks for credits is just fine... You just have to ask yourself, "Is there anything that really needs to be done right now?" and "Do I have any vulnerabilities that the runner can exploit?" If neither of these are the case, it is definitely viable to click for credits.

On the subject of rezzing ICE, you should generally ask yourself how much it will cost the runner when they encounter the ICE (in terms of subroutines or the cost of breaking them). If the runner can get through a piece of ICE for just 2 credits, and it costs you 5 credits to rez the ICE, it may not be the wisest investment unless you expect the runner to frequently run that server. For example, a lot of runner decks aren't expected to run Archives much, if at all, so there is no reason to rez ICE there if it's only a few credits for the runner to break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.