Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: Armada» Forums » General

Subject: What am i missing out on by not having the whale and the gladiator?... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The 2 ships are to ugliest ships i have seen and i refuse to buy them but want to know what i am missing by not having them?..i know i am missing 2 admirals..i would think my rebels will miss a medium sized ship and the Empire a small one but what else?..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need a gladiator, but they're very powerful with the right strategies. I think they have a unique missile related card in them too.

You're probably gimping your rebel fleets pretty heavily by not having an assault frigate.

I don't understand your complaints about the Glad-- it looks like every other star destroyer variation out there. Gray and boring.

Assault mk2 is ugly as fuck and really pisses me off. What capital ships in star wars have one engine? How does it shoot with all those fins in the way? Isn't it supposed to be built off the designs of the mk1/dreadnaught, but is bigger than a mc cruiser? Yeah. it's terrible. So they made sure to make the ship amazing in the game . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing out on probably the best ships in each faction.

The Assault Frigate is quite possibly the best well-rounded ship in the game. It can be a carrier, it can be a gunship, it is well protected, decently armed, and decently maneuverable for its size. Until the MC80, the Rebels had nothing to stand and fight with until they got their hands on the Assault Frigate. I would though argue that Iblis is not as useful as other admirals, but that's debatable.

The Gladiator's Demolisher title is well valued and one of the main reasons to take this ship. The Gladiator is a maneuverable missile boat that the Empire needs to overcome the ponderous slowness of the other Imperial heavy hitters. Victories are always going to be outflanked, and in spite of their higher speed Imperials only form a death corridor that they travel down... and make it easier to be flanked by. In spite of its speed and agility the Raider is just a miniature star destroyer... the Gladiator can cover flanks and kite behind a friendly ship to go after anyone flanking.

Screed is also essential for any build that wants to reliably kick effects from Ion cannons and missiles.

So yeah, they might not be aesthetically tasteful but your fleet could sure use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all you're missing two admirals and two unique officers. They are all great additions, but this isn't a big deal because many people will have duplicates and you should be able to get them for free or for cheap.

You are also missing the cards Expanded Launchers, Point Defense Reroute and Advanced Projectors. AP is probably the best of the three (PDR is sort of lame), but they certainly aren't needed. ECM is almost always a better defensive mod, and there are several great ordinance mods.

Of course you are also missing the ships themselves. They are good ships but not required. In wave two the Rebels don't need an AFII, and the Imps don't need a Glad. I don't own a AFII because I also think it looks lame and way out of scale (it looks like a fighter!). Armada is fine without them.

BUT PLEASE GET GARM AND SCREED!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gladiator (particularly the Demolisher variant) is a very solid Imperial support ship. I love Raiders, don't get me wrong, but Raiders aren't really well set up to replace them - Gladiators are your seek and destroy ships (very useful with VSDs in particular) and Raiders are your fast support and harassment ships. Plus Screed is legit and was the best Imperial admiral in wave 1 hands down.

Assault Frigates are the bread and butter of Rebel fleets and most wave 1 builds had 2 of them. Nowadays they're still worth owning 2 of, although your options are a bit wider now. If you want a very flexible medium-sized cruiser that continues in the "strong broadsides at long to medium range" shtick that is fairly common amongst Rebels, Assault Frigates are your go-to ship. They're great accompaniments to an MC80 if you'd rather back off rather than dive in (with MC30s).

In short, refusing to buy either of those ships is foolish if you want to be both competitive and sample the entirety of what the game has to offer. Reconsider your decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually really like the whale tbh. It looks great on the table and is my favourite Rebel ship
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't get a Gladiator, you should probably pick up 2 ISDs. You can run ISDx2 or ISDx2+VSD. It will give you a more authentic movie experience, plus a lot of board coverage and plenty of room for fighters depending on how you kit them out. The ISD is surprisingly fast and maneuverable. Many people underestimate it.

The AFII is probably more important than the Glad but keep in mind that wave 2 is brand new so people aren't used to building without it. The MC80 can be just as fast and maneuverable with engine techs, and it has great titles. Yes, the AFII is more cost-effective, but you can still win games with the MC80.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Bel Iblis, Screed

The Assault frigate really is the bread and butter ship for Rebels. The MC80 can throw more, but dictates your remaining fleet mich more than an assault frigate because of the points invested. The MC30 can do more damage but is a huge risk/reward ship. The assault frigate is a happy middle.

The gladiator is basically a leaner MC30 with two reallllly good titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Fortesque
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
arrrh

So the rebel side of the question. as much as the whale is a beast to look at. for points hands down it is a great build damage and support for fighters. with the Gallant Haven title the MK2 is a powerhouse keep your fighters close and they can't be hit by most ships and if they're on the opposite side of the hull from attackers -1 die for obscured view and - additional damage for being on top of the whale. when you get the mass close break out with squadron commands and flank the Imp ship you're going to nuke in a turn. Y-wings in mass work best for that tactic.

sauron

For the Gladiator it's a great fast mover. now with the wave 2 the raiders may be more useful with their better anti squadron shots. but the gladiator is a great fly straight in an go for the throat. if you don't like to get close and risk your ships then it's not the ship for you. Black die are awesome but you gotta get close enough to use them.

Wave 2 makes some very different strategies so it will be interesting to see how they change game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Raiders as a Gladiator replacement is that they can be vaporized in one turn by a fair number of ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah i dont think the raider has enough staying power to do what the gladiator does...been reading the preveiws on both ships and i dont see any ships in wave 2 replacing them...does the x-wing waves has like a theme?..like f exp one wave has bombers and support ships and the next some thing else?...i could hope for some medium rebel ship showing up in wave 3..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Admiral H_Nelson
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they were ugly at first and then they just kept on growing on me until I no longer find them ugly. The AF is key for squdron command and something that can take some hits and deliver them back. Good place for a pNow admiral.

Gladiator I . Demolisher title+ engine techs+ expanded launchers+ screed in fleet or possible ordnance experts. Glad

Did someone cover screed ...the best admiral in the game for imperials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
I actually really like the whale tbh. It looks great on the table and is my favourite Rebel ship

Spaaaaaaaaaace Potato!!!

But yeah they really are great ships for all the reasons given above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lemick
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the looks of the Assault Frigate as well. Plus, as everyone else has mentioned, it's a great ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.