Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a pleasure being Geek of the Week, but the time has come to pass on the torch.

Truth to be told, I hadn't run into Dan a lot in all my years on the geek, until one fateful thread in 2014: I announced that my wife and I were going to visit the NE US, and that we would love to meet up with local geeks. Dan responded, so we met for dinner in Burlington, VT, together with his then-fiancee.

It seems we didn't creep them out right then, because before we knew it, we were sitting in their living room, and playing games. We played Glass Road, PitchCar (both new to me) and Galaxy Trucker. It didn't feel like meeting for a first time with strangers, it felt more like hooking up with a gaming buddy you just hadn't seen in years.

Still, we didn't really keep in touch (with lots of other things going on in our lives), and I realized how little I actually knew about Dan, despite feeling quite at home playing games with him. So I asked him to become GoW, and thankfully, he accepted.

I present you:

Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Dan wrote:
Thank you so much for this honor, Robert! I didn't think it would ever happen!

As a child, I always loved to play games. I have found memories of playing everything from Clue and Sorry to The Mad Magazine Game and Fantasy Forest. My siblings and my cousin were my primary gaming partners, and I'm sure they got sick of me always asking to play another game. Once my teen years hit, I still played games with my friends, but it wasn't as frequent as it once was. Soon adulthood took over and my gaming was mostly digital and solo.

I moved to northern Vermont in 2002, and once here I was able to spend more time with a couple of old friends. We would have occasional game nights, and it seemed like Phase 10 and Scattergories were the games of choice. It was enjoyable, but nothing too spectacular.

Then, one Christmas, I was given a gift by those same friends. It was Carcassonne. We broke it open and played...and I was hooked. I went home, found BGG, and the rest, as they say, is history.

My gaming life seems to reach new levels every year. First we started getting together every couple weeks with friends. Then it was every week. Then there were two groups. Then groups for specific games. And through it all the game collection grows and grows.

The social aspect of gaming is what I love the most, and few things have made me happier than going to BGG.CON every year. My friend Aaron and I started going in 2012 and I've been every year since, with my lovely wife Laura even deciding to help out and join Team Geek!

I'm a fairly easy going gamer - I find joy in just about every type of game. Theme heavy dice fests? Sure! Thinky eurogames? No problem. Hidden traitor games? Well, YEAH!! My ratings aren't as up to date as I should have them, but I certainly find enjoyment in a lot of games.

On BGG, you'll usually find me in Chit Chat, spouting out quips randomly like some stranger yelling out a car window as it passes you by. Or, you know, I'm trying to sell something. Need to fund those future purchases by selling the old stuff, you know?

2015 has been an amazing year. I launched my website where I talk about games (boardeveryday.com), I hit the 500 game milestone, and I got to marry the love of my life! I can't wait to see what 2016 has in store!

Dan's two truths and a lie:

1. I should have started dating my wife a year earlier, but she thought I was too short and too old.
2. We have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and his name is Buddy.
3. I developed motion sickness playing Duke Nukem when I was 16 and I still have problems in cars.

Poll
Dan's two truths and a lie
Which one is a lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
1. I should have started dating my wife a year earlier, but she thought I was too short and too old.
37.5% 24
2. We have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and his name is Buddy.
29.7% 19
3. I developed motion sickness playing Duke Nukem when I was 16 and I still have problems in cars.
32.8% 21
Voters 64
This poll is now closed.   64 answers
Poll created by Asperamanca
Closes: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:00 am

Please make sure to visit Dan's profile page - he collects flags.

I'll get the ball rolling with a few questions:

d10-1 If you could combine your favorite aspects of any two games into one new game, which games would it be, which aspects and why?
d10-2 What's more of an issue with a growing game collection - space or money?
d10-3 Do you still play video games? If so, which ones are your current favorites?
d10-4 Favorite place in Vermont?
d10-5 Favorite place outside Vermont?
d10-6 Have there been dogs in your family when you were small? If so, care to tell us about them?
d10-7 How could an ignorant outsider recognize they are in Vermont, not New York?
d10-8 Favorite wedding games?
d10-9 If you were a superhero, what would be your special power? What your weakness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Dan, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dan! Enjoy your week in the BGG spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Dan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Dan, I hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Onto some questions for you;

1db I'm always intrigued by users with numbers in their username. Is there a significance to the "926"?

2 I normally ask this in a different way, but here goes. If you could choose 7 fellow Boardgamegeek users you've never met to visit your home, host a dinner for them and then play a game that can accomodate to everyone; who would you invite, what's for dinner and which game would you play?

3 Which expansions do you like to play with Carcassonne? Is there one (aside from The River) you think everyone should own even if they only own the base game?

d10-4 What game would you love to get for xmas that is available for retail at the moment? And what grail game would blow your mind to receive no matter how improbable it's existance is?

5vp Have you ever played any trading card games? If so, which ones and what sort of decks did you play?

6 Favourite Duke Nukem 3D weapon? If not the Devestator, why not?

I look forward to your responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

1 What type of food do you enjoy the most?
2 Is there a country you think produces the best food?
3 What do you eat when gaming?
4 Is there any food you enjoy, that most people don't like?
5 And finally...is there anything you can recommend to us? Perhaps an interesting recipe, or something unique to your country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Dan!

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much, Robert! Now on to the answers!

d10-1 If you could combine your favorite aspects of any two games into one new game, which games would it be, which aspects and why?

Wow. GREAT question.

1. Cosmic Encounter's variable player powers and huge array of races. I love the replayability aspect, and the unique interactions that each alien will have with one another. You can take a five person game of CE, switch out just one alien, and wind up with a game that feels totally different. The fact that the aliens essentially break the rules of the game is what makes it fun for me.

2. Tzolk'in's "time" aspect using the wheels and workers. Some have called this too gimmicky, but the planning and forethought that go into trying to take the actions you want is great. Every single play of this game I've found myself saying "DAMMIT" when I realize that I've miscalculated and can't get to the action I want.

d10-2 What's more of an issue with a growing game collection - space or money?

It's a combo of both. I've been a very active trader over the last couple years, and will also auction games off that don't get as much play. Both of those help with the monetary part of the growing game collection.

As for space? Well, we just need a bigger place! whistle We're looking to buy a house in the near future, and that will help matters greatly.

d10-3 Do you still play video games? If so, which ones are your current favorites?

I'm a bit of an odd duck when it comes to video games. I just got Fallout 3 the other day and I've been playing through Borderlands. So I'm usually years behind the latest games. I do have a thing for the Grand Theft Auto games, and GTA V was one of my most recent favorites.

d10-4 Favorite place in Vermont?

This is tough. I love northern Vermont, as there is always a lot to do and plenty of people to do it with...and it's gorgeous in spots up here. Southern Vermont though? Much less populated so the beautiful spots seem more plentiful. Depending on my mood, being near the lake or on top of one of the mountains will definitely top the list!

d10-5 Favorite place outside Vermont?

Maine. I've said for a while that if I lived anywhere else in the states it would be Maine...and that's where Laura and I got engaged, so that certainly adds to it!

d10-6 Have there been dogs in your family when you were small? If so, care to tell us about them?

When I was young we had a Samoyed named Yukon. He was adorable, but they are a breed that needs a ton of attention and we weren't home enough. So he had to go to a home that would give him the attention he needed.

d10-7 How could an ignorant outsider recognize they are in Vermont, not New York?

Billboards. Vermont is one of only four states (Alaska, Hawaii, and Maine being the others) which do not allow billboards along their roadsides. So while some of the scenery of upstate New York will look a lot like Vermont, you can always tell the difference by the lack of advertising.

d10-8 Favorite wedding games?

As lame as it seems, I've always loved trivia cards placed at the tables at weddings - it gives guests chances to interact, but nothing so involved that they can't set it aside and eat or dance.

d10-9 If you were a superhero, what would be your special power? What your weakness?

My superpower would be the ability to fly - I think it would make travel a lot easier. My weakness? Probably a good microbrew beer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:

I'm a bit of an odd duck when it comes to video games. I just got Fallout 3 the other day and I've been playing through Borderlands. So I'm usually years behind the latest games. I do have a thing for the Grand Theft Auto games, and GTA V was one of my most recent favorites.

You're not the only one like this! I'm the same for PC gaming I think the only "current" thing I play is League of Legends and Payday 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1db I'm always intrigued by users with numbers in their username. Is there a significance to the "926"?

There is! I was born on September 26th.

2 I normally ask this in a different way, but here goes. If you could choose 7 fellow Boardgamegeek users you've never met to visit your home, host a dinner for them and then play a game that can accomodate to everyone; who would you invite, what's for dinner and which game would you play?

I'd cook steaks on the grill and play Cosmic Encounter. As for the users, I don't know...I think I would invite seven people that have rated CE a 10!

3 Which expansions do you like to play with Carcassonne? Is there one (aside from The River) you think everyone should own even if they only own the base game?

It's cliché, but Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals is a MUST. Expands the game to six players and adds the large meeple. Can't beat it!

d10-4 What game would you love to get for xmas that is available for retail at the moment? And what grail game would blow your mind to receive no matter how improbable it's existance is?

Available now? Fury of Dracula (third edition).

I don't have a ton of grail games on my list - I wouldn't mind coming across an English version of Kaispeicher!

5vp Have you ever played any trading card games? If so, which ones and what sort of decks did you play?

Magic came out right when I was getting out of high school. Three of my friends played as well and we dumped a TON of money into it. One day I realized that I didn't enjoy the deck tuning and was spending way too much. So I walked away from TCGs and didn't look back!

Too small of a blast radius - I was a fan of Laser Tripbombs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 What type of food do you enjoy the most?

That's a tough one. Probably sushi.

2 Is there a country you think produces the best food?

Overall? I like Italian food a lot, which is not surprising given my heritage!

3 What do you eat when gaming?

We snack - pretzels are a favorite.

4 Is there any food you enjoy, that most people don't like?

Brussel sprouts!

5 And finally...is there anything you can recommend to us? Perhaps an interesting recipe, or something unique to your country?

My wife recently made an amazing salad - here's the link to the recipe:

http://cookingwithcakes.com/loaded-greek-style-quinoa-bowls-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
Mohrlock wrote:

It's cliché, but Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals is a MUST. Expands the game to six players and adds the large meeple. Can't beat it!

Noted. Will have to pick up a copy

rdonato926 wrote:
Mohrlock wrote:

Magic came out right when I was getting out of high school. Three of my friends played as well and we dumped a TON of money into it. One day I realized that I didn't enjoy the deck tuning and was spending way too much. So I walked away from TCGs and didn't look back!

You are a far stronger willed man than myself! Still sitting on those cards?

rdonato926 wrote:
Mohrlock wrote:

Too small of a blast radius - I was a fan of Laser Tripbombs!

Ahhhh, a plan-ahead player! Very sneaky and smart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Dan and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy hell, the first Geek of the Week that I've actually met in person! Congratulations! My only question is: when the heck are you going to make it down to southern Vermont, and will you let me know you're coming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
Holy hell, the first Geek of the Week that I've actually met in person! Congratulations! My only question is: when the heck are you going to make it down to southern Vermont, and will you let me know you're coming?

Thanks, Pete!

We should try to get together next year! The wife and I try to make trips to Arlington quite a bit during the summer, and that'a lot closer than I normally make it. I'll let you know and we'll work something out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Dan! Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dan!

Obviously your a Sox fan and I am guessing that is you at a game for your avatar. Who is your all-time favorite Sox player?

Enjoy the week!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
Congratulations Dan!

Obviously your a Sox fan and I am guessing that is you at a game for your avatar. Who is your all-time favorite Sox player?

Enjoy the week!

Tim

Thanks, Tim!

I'm a huge Sox fan and yes, my avatar is me at a game several years ago. We try to get down to Boston at least once a year for a game.

My favorite Sox player of all-time is probably Dwight Evans. There's plenty of guys from the last decade that have certainly made my top ten list, but I grew up watching Dewey and he was an amazing right fielder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Dan!

What was the biggest screw-you moment you have had, in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination therein.

If you could say one thing, in this world, that is true, what would it be?

If you had to live in either perpetual darkness, perpetual light, or perpetual gloom; which would you choose?

What is the most money you have frittered away, in the shortest amount of time?

If you had to participate in an eating competition, what would be your food of choice?

What would be your UFC/WWE fighter name?

If you drink, what was your cheap drink of choice, as a young person?

If money were no object, what would be the object on earth you would buy? Collectable or not.

What is a song that you can listen to over and over?

Who is your favorite villain?

Do you have a favorite BGG post? Either yours or another person’s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Dan!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dan. Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ken!!

What was the biggest screw-you moment you have had, in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination therein.

Probably in Tomorrow...I realized that one person was going to win or we were all going to lose...and I decided to nuke things to ensure that none of us won.

If you could say one thing, in this world, that is true, what would it be?

That I love my wife! She's my primary gaming partner and best friend.

If you had to live in either perpetual darkness, perpetual light, or perpetual gloom; which would you choose?

Hmm...I can cut perpetual gloom out. Gloom bothers me. I think I'd have to go with perpetual darkness. I used to work third shift, so I used to be up when it was dark. It's not all that bad. Sleeping would be a bitch if it was perpetually light out.

What is the most money you have frittered away, in the shortest amount of time?

Back when the exchange rate was VERY favorable, I went to Montreal for a weekend with three of my friends. At the time, the USD was worth about $1.60 CAD. We stayed in a hotel, ate like kings, went to a baseball game, hit the casino, and bar hopped like it was our jobs. At the end of it we had spent almost $3,000 USD on the trip...but oh was it worth it!

If you had to participate in an eating competition, what would be your food of choice?

Sushi!

What would be your UFC/WWE fighter name?

Danny Hammerfists

If you drink, what was your cheap drink of choice, as a young person?

When I was young, it was beer. Whatever was on sale. Now that I'm not poverty stricken and can afford good things, I'm a scotch and microbrew guy.

If money were no object, what would be the object on earth you would buy? Collectable or not.

The Boston Red Sox. I've got some changes I'd like to make.

What is a song that you can listen to over and over?

Good question! I'm a big music lover, so this is tougher than I thought. There's a ton of songs that people call "earworms"...and those are catchy for good reasons. But I will eventually tire of them.

I'm gonna go with the live version of Crush from Radio City Music Hall by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds.

Who is your favorite villain?

The Joker.

Do you have a favorite BGG post? Either yours or another person’s.

THE MAGIC BLUE WISHING SOFA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jerry!

Good questions! I tend to be leaning towards some of the newer stuff, as I have racked up some plays on older titles.

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Perhaps Trajan? I really liked what's going on here, but haven't had time to get it to the table much.

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

I'm going to go with Mombasa. I really dug this one at BGG.CON this year and I'm waiting to get mine in!

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?

Ready for one out of left field? CribbGolf. We LOVE Cribbage, and this takes Cribbage and adds a whole new twist to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
msg tools
Loading Error...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.