Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deal damage during defense? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob xxx
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
A friend and I (and our kids) played this for the first time the other night. During the first attacks, it was sort of assumed by a player that when a hero is defending against a monster attack and vice versa that the defending player rolls all dice on his card, including the attack dice...both canceling some damage and dealing return damage to the attacking player.

I could not find a reference to this anywhere in the rules. I went along with it since that is how most games work, but as I look through the rule book and on these forums, I can't even find a spot where such a thing is acknowledged.

Is this how attacks in Descent are supposed to work? Also, if this is the case, do defending players also get to use surges?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to tell you, you are playing that part wrong.

For either Hero or Monster defence you simply roll what ever defence dice you have access to at that point (and any other players may help you out with through using an ability like "Stone Skin"). 9/10 a starting Hero only has access to the basic grey defence die. You will find better armour and shields as you play through and get more dice (as to show that your character is growing in strength while adventuring).

If you look at page 11 of the rules, there is a picture of the different dice with a caption saying what the dice are, my group often stumbles of the difference between "power" dice and "attack" dice.

Also look at page 13, part 5: Deal Damage, and it should clarify any questions.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where you got this from, but at least not from the Descent rulebook. When you attack, you roll attack dice, when you defend you roll defence dice. Quite intuitive, I would say.

In general you deal no damage to the attacker when you are defending, unless a specific skill or ability allows you to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.