Arsen Shogenov
Russia
Nalchik-Russia
Kabardino-Balkarian Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I played the first game with Woodland. There were many questions according to different cards.

1.Riddle Stone. "You may roll dice egual to your Craft value. For any doubles you get, draw 1 Spell..." My Craft value 4. Roll 4 dices. On roll 5,5,5,3. How match draw Spell? 1 or 2 or 3?

2.Queen Mab. "Discard all of your Destiny cards and gain 1 Destiny". If I have no Destiny cards and I have nothing to discard, I gain 1 Destiny card?

3.Scales of Balance. "No good or evil character may have the Scales of Balance". Why it is simple not to write "The neutral Character"? Maybe it something means? After all on some cards it is specified "neutral"...

4.Thieving Piskies.
"If you defeat this Enemy, instead of taking it as a trophy, move it to a space containing a character". For Special Ability of Dark Cultist ("Whenever kill an a Enemy...") it is considered murder? For Book of Binding ("When you defeat a Fae, instead of taking it as a trophy, you may put 1 dark fate on this card") I can place on it 1 dark fate? Or not, as I don't take Thieving Piskies as a trophy?

5.Transformed.
- Save counters of Strength/Craft of the old Character at new? If the new Character earns Strength/Craft counters, they remain at return of the old Character or are discard, how in a case with the Toad?
- Considered a starting set of Obbjects (such as Helmet at the Gladiator) Special Ability and if yes, that when comes back the old Character are with it these Objects?
- Life/Fate counters of remain at the new Character from old (as in a case with the Toad) or the new Character a take new sets "printed value" agrees?
- The new Character can use Objects, Spells, Trophies of the old Character? If Craft of the new Character is less, than at old, whether it has to discard the Spells exceeding a limit Spells?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinner wrote:
Today I played the first game with Woodland. There were many questions according to different cards.

1.Riddle Stone. "You may roll dice egual to your Craft value. For any doubles you get, draw 1 Spell..." My Craft value 4. Roll 4 dices. On roll 5,5,5,3. How match draw Spell? 1 or 2 or 3?

2.Queen Mab. "Discard all of your Destiny cards and gain 1 Destiny". If I have no Destiny cards and I have nothing to discard, I gain 1 Destiny card?

3.Scales of Balance. "No good or evil character may have the Scales of Balance". Why it is simple not to write "The neutral Character"? Maybe it something means? After all on some cards it is specified "neutral"...

4.Thieving Piskies.
"If you defeat this Enemy, instead of taking it as a trophy, move it to a space containing a character". For Special Ability of Dark Cultist ("Whenever kill an a Enemy...") it is considered murder? For Book of Binding ("When you defeat a Fae, instead of taking it as a trophy, you may put 1 dark fate on this card") I can place on it 1 dark fate? Or not, as I don't take Thieving Piskies as a trophy?

5.Transformed.
- Save counters of Strength/Craft of the old Character at new? If the new Character earns Strength/Craft counters, they remain at return of the old Character or are discard, how in a case with the Toad?
- Considered a starting set of Obbjects (such as Helmet at the Gladiator) Special Ability and if yes, that when comes back the old Character are with it these Objects?
- Life/Fate counters of remain at the new Character from old (as in a case with the Toad) or the new Character a take new sets "printed value" agrees?
- The new Character can use Objects, Spells, Trophies of the old Character? If Craft of the new Character is less, than at old, whether it has to discard the Spells exceeding a limit Spells?

My guess:

1. 1
2. yes, you get one, it doesn't say "then" it says "and".
3. I may be wrong, but am fairly certain there are other cards that neutral characters only can get, this probably not the 1st written this way. It is for neutral characters (currently). There may be the odd chance in future expansions there may be something besides good, neutral, and evil.
4. The Pixies (sp?) are NOT killed (murdered), but would guess you could get that dark fate.
5. Toads can gain Strength and Craft, but the character loses it when he reverts back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinner wrote:
5.Transformed.

Discussed in this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1258972/transformation-ques...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Tosolini
Italy
Povoletto
Udine
flag msg tools
That's because I currently cannot play any board games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB answered correctly to everything, I only add a few remarks.

Shinner wrote:

Rolling "doubles" means the same result on two dice. For every pair of dice that show the same result, you draw 1 Spell. Therefore your roll gives you 1 Spell only.

Shinner wrote:

Staff of Balance from Sacred Pool has the same wording. It's advisable for such statements to be in the negative form, because of the golden rule "Can vs. Cannot". Negative statements always prevail in case of conflict.

Shinner wrote:
5.Transformed.

Good suggestion to check that older thread for answers. No real clarification comes from the rules, but you can consider that the possessions remain unchanged and only printed values are altered. If this should reflect on the current status of the character (e.g. any value is higher/lower), you have to adjust the character accordingly. Remember that the rules say that you only take cones for Strength and Craft gained during the game, so changing (printed) values mid-game is always possible and could be done without adding/discarding cones. The new character could earn Strenght and Craft as normal and there's no reason why it should be lost when returning to the original form.

Changing life or fate values doesn't change the number of life/fate a character currently possesses.

All possessions are kept, but as you point out, a different total Craft might force you to discard some Spells in excess. You just follow the rule as detailed in the Rulebook. If the new character can't have certain Objects the old character used normally, they shall be ditched (e.g. Alignment related Objects).

The following 2 are just suggestions from my side, not rules or FAQ you may find written somewhere:

1) "Start of the game" possessions should not be given to a Transformed character (this happens only when you begin the game or when the previous character has been killed).

2) Characters with tokens included in the Woodland expansion receive all the tokens they are entitled to, like they started the game. On the other hand, the tokens of the character that got Transformed are set aside and taken back when the transformation ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arsen Shogenov
Russia
Nalchik-Russia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played:
1.Quite so.
2.Quite so.
3.Quite so.
4.We didn't used Special Ability Dark Cultist, as considered that "defeat" not too most that by "kill". Didn't put dark fate, as considered that Pix is impossible to take as a trophy.
5.Quite so, except starting Object/Spell new Character. We take their and save after back transformed at the first character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Tosolini
Italy
Povoletto
Udine
flag msg tools
That's because I currently cannot play any board games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinner wrote:
We played:
4. Didn't put dark fate, as considered that Pix is impossible to take as a trophy.

This is interesting. On most effects I would have said they are triggered by a defeat, no matter if you can take the trophy or not, but you're right to say that the Book of Binding explicitly requires not to take the Fae as a trophy in order to work. Thematically, this means the Fae is bound to the book instead of dying. That's a good interpretation of the card interaction.

Thieving Piskies can be destroyed by Spells, but I cannot figure out a way to take them as trophies, except by some exceptional card combos. For example, Rotsnout Dog from Cataclysm preview may allow them to be taken as trophies if discarded somehow.

I'm just curious: are you playing Talisman with the English edition or the Russian edition? I don't know if the expansions have been translated until the Woodland, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arsen Shogenov
Russia
Nalchik-Russia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Russia only basic game is published. Any additions in Russian isn't published. I have a basic game of production Black Industrial and all FFG expansions.

In this branch I had still questions.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1474157/trinket-old-man-sea...
It would be interesting to learn your opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.