5 Posts

Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Variants

Subject: Speedier game play variant. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melvin Fenwick
msg tools
mb
I love this game. Its one of my favorites, but I've seen many people comment that it takes far too long to get to the next guys turn.

While this doesn't bother me much, I was thinking there might be an easy fix:

Instead of a single player making several actions in one long turn, game play will be separated into shorter turns where each player will take turns making only one or two actions at a time. A Round will end when all possible actions have been taken by all players.

Each turn a player may take one move action, one other action, and any number of minor actions.

Phases work as normal. A player can move on to the Business Phase at any time, but may not go back to the Action Phase.

They must take an action if they can. If they have none left, they may pass. When all players have passed, they collectively move to the Status Phase.

A new round begins.

This should speed things up quite a bit. As an added bonus, this should also mitigate how strong shields are, since you can Re-Arm your markers outside of your turn in the current rules, thus you can feasibly use your shields 8-10 times or more depending on your energy reserves.

Any thoughts or issues you see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could maybe do what a lot of players do with Orléans. Turns are simultaneous, unless one player asks for them not to be for a round, because for them the timing will matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave the Knave
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Would create a huge issue if anyone is trying to attack someone else. You need the turns all in a row to move up to them and attack.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is a total rules overhaul that would require significant playtesting and changes to make work.

With 3-4 players I don't find turns to be too long. That said I do use the variant where other players can start during your cleanup phase. Just makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melvin Fenwick
msg tools
mb
deepfreeze wrote:
Would create a huge issue if anyone is trying to attack someone else. You need the turns all in a row to move up to them and attack.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Granted, I have yet to try this idea, but combat is already kind of broken. I mean, you can use your shields for an incoming attack, then simply pay to rearm your tokens and be ready for the next volley.

THAT causes a huge issue already, in my opinion.

In addition, one can simply buy a level 3 engine and do some major exploring to avoid other players in the standard rules.

In my opinion, the game is much more fun as an exploration game anyways. Limiting combat more wouldn't be a terrible thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forby
msg tools
I actually see this as being chaotic. While, I like the idea of simultaneous turns or taking partial turns it seems that the game is meant for the turn sequence that it has. The buy Sell can happen outside of turns at the end of a turn while someone else goes. If you know what you are doing then the turns go fairly fast. The delay is the decision making on what to do and how best to do it. Also, picking missions, again it is a process of weighing what you want to do that takes time.

Ideally, you plan your turn while someone else is on theirs. That reduces the boredom and slowness. It is definitely a game where you need to think, plan, and decide before you act and not many people can do that very quickly. That is the bottleneck. Short of "going all at once" or "taking part turns and passing" I don't see another solution to making it quicker. I think that if you do, you should have another mat, a turn mat that helps with the "what phase am I on" decision making. And to determine if you are done until the "refresh" of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.