Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Star Ship Battles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khurram Khan
msg tools
I have Star Trek micromchine models. Please can someone recommend me some space battle rules that would allow me utilize these ships. Thankyou.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jinat wrote:
I have Star Trek micromchine models. Please can someone recommend me some space battle rules that would allow me utilize these ships. Thankyou.
You could just go with Star Fleet Battles, but you'd probably need a pretty large table and some larger hex sheets to do it, though you could probably just print out the latter.

They've done some newer reprints with streamlined rules but I haven't played them.

Pete (uses his Spelljammer hex sheets for when he wants to play SFB with minis)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khurram Khan
msg tools
What the learning curve on Starfleet battles ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Fleet Battles is pretty detailed. It is not designed for fleet actions, but is best if players command a ship or two. Federation Commander is similar to SFB, but a little faster to play, as I understand.

Here are a few other options:

Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator. Out of print, but it should be easy to find a copy.

A Call to Arms: Star Fleet

Fast Play Fleets Star Trek, a free set of rules. http://freewargamesrules.wikia.com/wiki/Fast_Play_Fleets_-_S...

Starfight. Very fast to play but may be a little gamey for some. Still, it's cheap.

Klingon Armada. Starmada is a popular set of sci-fi rules. There is also a "Trekmada" game at http://www.mj12games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2388. Also http://www.star-ranger.com/SRStuff.htm. If you google "Starmada Star Trek", I bet you might find others.

Full Thrust is another popular miniatures system. I'm pretty sure there are Star Trek ships for this, e.g. http://www.star-ranger.com/Stuff/Trek.htm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jinat wrote:

About this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jinat wrote:

I played SFB quite a bit as a young adult and loved it. I still have a soft spot for it but GREATLY prefer Federation Commander now.

As far as a learning curve, consider that the energy allocation forms/process for SFB is often compared to filling out tax forms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bushong
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
jinat wrote:

I played SFB quite a bit as a young adult and loved it. I still have a soft spot for it but GREATLY prefer Federation Commander now.

As far as a learning curve, consider that the energy allocation forms/process for SFB is often compared to filling out tax forms.

Ha! How does a 224 page rule book grab you? Star Fleet Battles: Captain's Edition Basic Set was a very fun game in it's time, but; unforgiving for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Fleet Battles has free starter rules available on the ADB website. These teach you the rules about 4 pages at a time with lots of solo scenarios.

Cadet rules about 1/4 of the way down this page. also need counters, map, etc located there.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/starfleetbattles.shtml

The majority of the rules are seldom used in every game and mostly detail specific races weapons and advanced tactics. You can pile as many a advanced rules on as you want, but the Basic game is straightforward and quickly learned.

The game itself is very simple to play if you have any wargaming background at all. Don't believe the people that say Basic is tough, as it isn't any tougher than other games that use a record sheet for individual unit tracking, like Battletech.

Federation Commander can play on two levels: one is a lighter version of Star Fleet and the other is an even lighter fleet action game.

That said, all of the Star Fleet games are old trek only, no Next Gen, DS9, Borg, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
jinat wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khurram Khan
msg tools
Broadstorm wrote:
jinat wrote:

I was scrolling down - and this made me laugh out loud. So obviously everybody has a different opinion on the complexity or simplicity of the various games. How about which one feels more like Star Trek space battles as seen on the show ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mis
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full Thrust
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3667/star-fleet-battle-ma... fro miniatures, in essence it's star fleet battles.

This is an introduction to SFB http://www.federationcommander.com/FCFirstMissions.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khurram Khan
msg tools
Without a doubt this thread is the funniest thread i have ever seen, keeps me laughing evertime i see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

About the same as EVE Online:

Actually, I don't know. I just wanted to post a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Quote:

About the same as EVE Online:

Actually, I don't know. I just wanted to post a classic.
I know I'm overanalyzing an obvious joke, but the axes are marked backwards!

Pete (can't let that go)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved SFB back in the 90's, but it was a tough game to learn, very detail oriented, you were acting as a Captain and there are so many things that can go on in a turn, my sessions lasted hours at times due to micro managing things. It's old school play style for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott herbertson
msg tools
My brother and I played it endlessly in 1980/1981 and I don't remember the rules being particularly hard to learn (though there was scope for a bit of argument re movement and allocation of damage IIRC)

I do remember it being very exceiting - especially as we blasted up the Hawkwind, King Crimson, Yes and 'Kingdom Come (Arthur Brown) tunes on the old record player while we played

There was a lot of gloating over the destruction of much loved ships, and very little remorse or brotherly love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.