Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Påhlsson
Sweden
Klippan
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't find it on my first read-through. In most 18xx the bank will only own a maximum of 50% of the same company. Is there a limit in 1862?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First paragraph of 6.4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
HolyMotherGoose wrote:
In most 18xx the bank will only own a maximum of 50% of the same company.

It is worth noting that the 1830 limit is 5 certificates, not 50%. Most later games have specified 50%, yes, but 18EA is not among them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
HolyMotherGoose wrote:

It is worth noting that the 1830 limit is 5 certificates, not 50%. Most later games have specified 50%, yes, but 18EA is not among them.

If the 1830 rules here at BGG are accurate (they look like they are), the bank's limit is stated as 50%. The players' limits are 5 certificates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Påhlsson
Sweden
Klippan
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, saw it also right on the board itself.

But, I wonder without having played yet, what is to stop a director player from selling his entire company, dumping the share value of minority holders and walking away smiling? Or am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyMotherGoose wrote:
Thanks, saw it also right on the board itself.

But, I wonder without having played yet, what is to stop a director player from selling his entire company, dumping the share value of minority holders and walking away smiling? Or am I missing something here?

Not much.

But: because of the zig-zag stock market, share value only drops half a space per share sold. If the company does not have a train, the director only gets half price. And the minority holders can also dump their shares; you're never stuck with a company you don't want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes; no limit on shares in the bank. This is a common feature of the 1829/1825 family of games, from which 1862 descends. And there's nothing to stop the tactic you describe, but it's not an auto-win tactic. Try it and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Påhlsson
Sweden
Klippan
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for all quick support. Our group has really only played 1846 before so this will be quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
HolyMotherGoose wrote:

Perhaps, and you can never sell the President's certificate in 1830, so it's 50% maximum, so I'm not entirely sure it is worth noting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's at least one 1830 variant in which there are 20% non-President's shares, so it does matter for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Yes; no limit on shares in the bank. This is a common feature of the 1829/1825 family of games, from which 1862 descends. And there's nothing to stop the tactic you describe, but it's not an auto-win tactic. Try it and see what happens.

About one company a game gets abandoned with the crew I play with, and those guys are convention 18xx players.

I've seen companies actually survive being abandoned, and then picked up again by the players, maybe one third of the time. Even then it seems to have been profitable for the players to let the company lose it's value and take the train itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.