Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Memory aid for the solitaire player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
In the confluence of being old, learning the game, and playing solitaire, I found I frequently couldn't remember for certain how many Actions I had taken, especially after spending a long time comparing cards. I solved this by taking four Scrabble tiles (B,D,F & W), and putting them face up on the bottom of the board. At the start of each action, I flip over the appropriate tile; resetting them replaces the dinosaur ramble. I know this will sound hilarious to those of you with shiny memories and friends to scream at your third action, but know this: your turn will come.
Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty cool, and works for multiplayer games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
I solved this by taking four Scrabble tiles (B,D,F & W), and putting them face up on the bottom of the board. At the start of each action, I flip over the appropriate tile; resetting them replaces the dinosaur ramble.

That is a clever solution. What I do is keep one of the reference cards from this board handy, one that lists the four actions usually in the order "Fly, Buy, Deal, Work". I find that playing solitaire I usually do them in the reverse of that order, so I just work my way up the card.

For me, the hard part is making sure I move the turn marker (Disgruntled token), and on the other hand doing it only once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Miller
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
I have all the decks in separate areas, so I tend to look around the table to remember the actions. But I do forget whether I have already done an action or not, so this idea will help.

The turn markers (Disgruntled tokens) I put on the board at my ships location. this leaves a nice trail I can look at when the game finishes. Persephone tends to get a big pile of disgruntled tokens ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: Cool solution!

I printed these to share with new players:
...and now I use it to track my actions during solo play. I drop a token on each action when I take it, clearing any I placed when my turn is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Very useful solution, esp. for new players. I don't think I have any room left on the table for another card. I tried playing 4 ships when I first started, and it was hopeless. It was also hard keeping four different strategies in mind. The scrabble tiles have the virtue of not taking up any real space (just empty Reaver space).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
Very useful solution, esp. for new players. I don't think I have any room left on the table for another card. I tried playing 4 ships when I first started, and it was hopeless. It was also hard keeping four different strategies in mind. The scrabble tiles have the virtue of not taking up any real space (just empty Reaver space).

Yeah, I was previously annoyed at having to find room for it on the table. Now that I've added Firefly: The Game – Kalidasa in addition to Firefly: The Game – Blue Sun, I've been forced to take it to the living room floor. So my space issue is solved. My table is no where near big enough now. Either way, I am going for the scrabble tile method next solo run. I've got a nice stash of those lovely little wooden tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.