Subject: Dodging Bullets in Te Urewera National Park rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the long weekend we went down for a tramp in the Te Urewera National park and took a few light card games along for relaxing in the huts and motor camps.

Here follows a brief synopsis of each of the games of "Dodge city"

Game 1
Date: 26/1
Players:

Trevor (outlaw)
Angus (outlaw)
Alistair (outlaw)
Chris (renegade)
Jamie (sheriff)
Ryan (vice)

Everyone except Trevor (who had played a few times about a year ago) was a seasoned bang veteran so naturally there were the initial proclamations of “I’m the vice”.
Trevor’s inexperience showed when he proceeded to ask what does this do on nearly every single card and having to be told repeatedly that blue and green cards go in front of him, but he eventually got the hang of it again…
…however the idea of the role card seem to totally confuse him and he quietly went about eliminating all the outlaws. i.e. he was quiet whereas Angus and I voiced our options at being shot at by our own team as we were pretty sure that he was not the vice due him shooting the sheriff at some point during the fracas
This left the sheriff and deputy the easy task of picking him off and smoking out the Renegade.

Games 2-4
Date: 28/1
Players:

Game 2
Angus (renegade)
Alistair (outlaw)
Chris (outlaw)
Jamie (sheriff)
Ryan (outlaw)
Ushtana (vice)

Game 3
Angus (outlaw)
Alistair (renegade)
Chris (vice)
Jamie (sheriff)
Ryan (outlaw)
Ushtana (outlaw)

Game 4
Angus (sheriff)
Alistair (vice)
Chris (outlaw)
Jamie (outlaw)
Ryan (renegade)
Ushtana (outlaw)

I can’t remember a huge amount about these three games (except that the outlaws won the first two games and the lawmen the fourth) as we had been walking for seven hours through the bush stumbling over roots concealed under masses of ferns and getting thoroughly soaked with mist, rain, humidity and moss (which seemed to be everywhere). This was Ush’s first foray into the dusty streets of Bang and she picked it up very well and actually enjoyed it.
I think the lasting memory of these sessions will be the fact that here we were next to a beautiful lake in the middle of an untouched forest full of huge Rimu and Beech trees discussing who shot who with what and why, it must have sounded quite strange to the family who was also in the hut and the confused looking Dutch tramper who was eating a massive bowl of pasta on the same table, Spaghetti Westerns all the way.
Great location, great walking, great game, great people, great sunset across the lake, life is ... well... great!

Games 5 and 6
Date 29/1
Players:

Game 5
Trevor (vice)
Angus (renegade)
Alistair (outlaw)
Chris (outlaw)
Jamie (outlaw)
Ryan (sheriff)

Game 6
Trevor (sheriff)
Angus (outlaw)
Alistair (renegade)
Chris (vice)
Jamie (outlaw)
Ryan (vice)
Ushtana (outlaw)

After some well earned showers (three days in the bush tends to leave one a little muddy) we settle down to some more games (San Juan and Family Business also got a look in) in the kitchen/dining hall at the motor camp. Game 5 of Dogde City was won by the lawmen (Trevor finally understanding what his role card meant). Game 6 however had a lot going for it and was by far the best game of the long weekend.

Trevor as the sheriff played very well, letting the bullets fly around him whilst the other eliminated themselves allowing him to try and work out who’s who. I was sitting to his left and start defending myself with a vast array of guns, horses, barrels knifes, and a conveniently placed line of cancan dancers. Ryan (two to my left) was doing similar as he was Pixie Pete and getting four cards a turn. Early on Ryan and I started gunning down Angus (between us) with Ryan dealing the killing shot and collecting the reward. During this exchange Ryan had been stealing horses and wagons from Ush leaving her with a chip on her shoulder about the whole situation. She was not able to get back the wagon from Ryan as I later stole it and as such was too far away. Angering Ush was a mistake as Ryan and I both learned with her taking things very personally and exacting her vengeance by reducing us to dust. She then really got into the swing of things by killing Jamie. Meanwhile Trevor was watching all this peacefully and Chris was getting tons of cards by looting the dead as Vulture Sam.
So it was down to the sheriff, his vice and one angry outlaw with a grudge about some missing horses. Now it should be obvious how this ends...
...sheriff should keep both the vice and outlaw low on life points and let the vice deal the killing blow...
...and as we all though Trevor had finally got it...

Cue tumble weed.

Dog walks past.

Ai ee Ai ee Ai.

Sheriff Paul Regret steps forward

Looks right to the Vice

Looks straight into the eyes of the outlaw.

Fingers flex
Gun is drawn and...

BANG! He shoots the Vice killing him..
dead!...
gone!.. cards fly back to the discard deck and we are left with a naked Paul Regret staring down the long barrel of defeat.
Ush on horseback is too far away to get a shot in, guns were scarce and Paul Regret cannot be hit as he is standing well back contemplating what he has just done.

Ush lights a stick of dynamite and tosses it at the sheriffs feet he kicks it back, she does similar and it goes on… until.. BANG!...
…and Paul Regret leaps high in to the air and scatters himself over a wide area, Rest in Peace.

An explosive end to a fine game after a very enjoyable weekend.

Hail Gunslingers!
Long Days, Pleasant Nights

and lastly for those interested in Te Urewera National Park
http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/PlaceProfile.aspx?id=38442

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
An excellent run down of the weekend and the games, I feel. That last game was a particularly good one (even though I lost)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like our games..

It usually starts with a new player or two confussed with the roles, but once thebullets start flying, it makes short work of the outlaws - THEN the real fun begins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamers hitting the Great Outdoors? Well, I never!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Player Jamies side of the story:

That was a good couple of games, although I felt that the cards I got were a bit on the unlucky side. Its kind of hard to play and concentrate after you have been walking for 8 hours, but it was pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.