Subject: A question regarding Q1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E. Ak
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the first quest, we had the following situation. Please let me know if we did it correctly.

I was the party leader and had 3 enemies engaged with me already. The peril track reached to red peril at peril phase, so we had to spawn Odious.

According to spawn rules, Odious has to engage me, the party leader. Because I had 3 enemies engaged with me already, he dealt 2 damage and was placed in the shadows face-up.

Then, he activates. Because Odious is not engaged with anyone, the party leader activates him. So, he does 2 damage for its inflict ability to me. Then, as for his prey ability, because I had the most wounds, he tries engaging me but can't due to the 3 enemies engaged with me. So he deals 2 more damage and stays in the shadows.

Then he activates a second time and the same thing happens. So, in total Odious dealt 2+4+4=10 damage to me and stayed in the shadows. At this point, I was dead of course.

Did we do this correctly?

Edit: I will sneak in another question regarding quest 2. I will put it in spoiler though because the title might have people who didn't play q2 click on this thread.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
After the party travels to the last location, the nemesis is placed face-down in the shadows. While he is in the shadows facedown, do you continue resolving the nemesis result on enemy dice same as before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atash wrote:
I will sneak in another question regarding quest 2.

As per the Shadow Zone heading on page 15 of the Rules Reference:

Quote:
Facedown enemies are considered to be non-nemesis enemies without a rank.

Thus the answer is no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, you did the part with Odious correctly. All the quests are incredibly difficult to beat if you move into the red peril phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chamberlain
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
The answer is no you did not do it correctly. The rules state if you have 3 enemies engaged on you, you take the monster's damage and IGNORE his card for activiting.

So if odius was in his lair when you reached the red peril. He should have spawned only done 2 damage to you each time he activated. And you should have ignored his inflict and prey actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drwhat wrote:
The answer is no you did not do it correctly. The rules state if you have 3 enemies engaged on you, you take the monster's damage and IGNORE his card for activiting.

So if odius was in his lair when you reached the red peril. He should have spawned only done 2 damage to you each time he activated. And you should have ignored his inflict and prey actions.

No. You're wrong.

The rule states that

Learn to Play - Engagement Limits Pg 10

"ENGAGEMENT LIMIT
A hero cannot be engaged with more than three
enemies at the same time. If a hero is engaged with
three enemies and an effect forces a hero to become
engaged with another enemy, that hero suffers a
number of wounds equal to that enemy’s attack value
and that enemy is placed faceup in the shadows."

Rules Reference - Engaging Pg 9

"If the active hero has three enemies in his engagement zone and an
enemy engages him or a game effect would place another enemy
card into that zone, that hero suffers a number of wounds equal to that enemy’s attack value, and that enemy is placed in the shadows.

It says nothing about the activation being canceled or exhausting the Enemy. Since the Enemy is ready face up in the shadows it needs to carry out it's activation by resolving each keyword on it's effect bar from left to right, so it will use Inflict and Prey. Then, due to the red Peril Effect, it will activate again and use Inflict and Prey again.

The OP was correct. This was confirmed by one of the designers in earlier threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.