Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I don't have the RRG with me, but I looked it up yesterday. Do correct me if I'm misquoting or miswording things here.

Mobile:

A mobile figure may move through, or end it's movement on, blocking terrain. (not an actual quote)

You cannot move through the diagonal intersection of a wall (thick black line/corner) and blocking terrain (red line/corner)
"Figures can move diagonally along the corner of any
individual wall, blocking terrain, or impassible terrain, but a
figure cannot move through the diagonal intersection of any
combination of wall, blocking terrain, or impassible terrain
(see “Appendix II - Movement Examples” on page 27)."

So, my question: how do these two combine? Can a mobile figure "move through the diagonal intersection of a thick black-line corner and thin red-line corner?

There is no rule that allows a mobile unit to ignore the "cannot move through the diagonal intersection of a wall and blocking terrain". Of course, the mobile unit could use two movement points to make the diagonal move... but the mobile figure would be happy if it could use only one movement point to make this diagonal move. Am I misreading some technicality here?

Note that I'm looking for cold hard technical rule definitions. I'm also very interested what the general consensus is about the intent or spirit of these two rules, but I'm in need of the technical rules here.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Mobile allows a figure to cross such a corner. The blocking terrain edges are essentially not there for the purposes of movement of the Mobile figure, thus it's like there is no blocking terrain edges to form the corner.

Note that this only counts for Small figures. Large figures can't move diagonally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Okay, I don't have the RRG with me, but I looked it up yesterday. Do correct me if I'm misquoting or miswording things here.

Mobile:

A mobile figure may move through, or end it's movement on, blocking terrain. (not an actual quote)

You cannot move through the diagonal intersection of a wall (thick black line/corner) and blocking terrain (red line/corner)
"Figures can move diagonally along the corner of any
individual wall, blocking terrain, or impassible terrain, but a
figure cannot move through the diagonal intersection of any
combination of wall, blocking terrain, or impassible terrain
(see “Appendix II - Movement Examples” on page 27)."

So, my question: how do these two combine? Can a mobile figure "move through the diagonal intersection of a thick black-line corner and thin red-line corner?

There is no rule that allows a mobile unit to ignore the "cannot move through the diagonal intersection of a wall and blocking terrain". Of course, the mobile unit could use two movement points to make the diagonal move... but the mobile figure would be happy if it could use only one movement point to make this diagonal move. Am I misreading some technicality here?

Note that I'm looking for cold hard technical rule definitions. I'm also very interested what the general consensus is about the intent or spirit of these two rules, but I'm in need of the technical rules here.

Thanks!

You are technically very correct and the rules as written do not allow another interpretation.

But I would expect an Errata for it since it feels unnecessarily complicated compared to "they pretty much ignore all other implications of blocking/impassable terrain".

However, except Boba Fett I do not remember any small figure having the mobile keyword at the moment, so the point is moot since large figures cannot move diagonally anyway. Maybe we get an FAQ update for it when Twin Shadows actually appears on shelfs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance Mobile does not seem to allow to do that, but it also does not mention impassible and blocking edges, while a Mobile figure can certainly move through blocking and impassible edges as well as into such spaces.

Terrain wrote:
Colored borders that do not fully encompass a space or group of spaces are terrain edges. The terrain rules are only applied to the colored edge of this space and not the space itself.

Thus, terrain edges are covered by the Mobile only mentioning the terrain spaces.

My interpretation is that Mobile ignores the blocking terrain and because the wall does not extend beyond the corner of the space, there is no diagonal intersection (of walls, doors, blocking or impassable terrain) and the figure (Probe Droid) can move diagonally. (But, the rules as written use wording to allow deciding to interpret it differently.)

Note: only works for small figures. Large figures do not use diagonals, and Mobile does not apply for Pounce (Counting Spaces does not take Mobile into account).

ninja'd x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
However, except Boba Fett I do not remember any small figure having the mobile keyword at the moment, so the point is moot since large figures cannot move diagonally anyway. Maybe we get an FAQ update for it when Twin Shadows actually appears on shelfs.

Okay, thanks. :-)

And the flying tripod drones from the base game? Aren't they both moblie ànd small/regular sized?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
However, except Boba Fett I do not remember any small figure having the mobile keyword at the moment

Probe Droids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The blocking terrain edges are essentially not there for the purposes of movement of the Mobile figure, thus it's like there is no blocking terrain edges to form the corner.

a1bert wrote:
My interpretation is that Mobile ignores the blocking terrain

Well, my thing here is that nowhere it is written that mobile figures "ignore blocking terrain for all movement purposes". I accept that you interpret the "move through blocking terrain" clause as "ignore blocking terrain".

And even though I can agree that this was probably the intent of the rules (as most here seem to do), from a ruletechnical point of view I personally cannot equate "move through blocking terrain" and "ignore blocking terrain for all movement purposes".

Note that it's not my intent to bicker over small rules. It's good to hear that everyone is on the same page here, and we'll probably houserule it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
chrisdk wrote:
However, except Boba Fett I do not remember any small figure having the mobile keyword at the moment

Probe Droids.

Damn you faulty memory and weak wikia search function!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
At first glance Mobile does not seem to allow to do that, but it also does not mention impassible and blocking edges, while a Mobile figure can certainly move through blocking and impassible edges as well as into such spaces.

Terrain wrote:
Colored borders that do not fully encompass a space or group of spaces are terrain edges. The terrain rules are only applied to the colored edge of this space and not the space itself.

Thus, terrain edges are covered by the Mobile only mentioning the terrain spaces.

My interpretation is that Mobile ignores the blocking terrain and because the wall does not extend beyond the corner of the space, there is no diagonal intersection (of walls, doors, blocking or impassable terrain) and the figure (Probe Droid) can move diagonally. (But, the rules as written use wording to allow deciding to interpret it differently.)

Note: only works for small figures. Large figures do not use diagonals, and Mobile does not apply for Pounce (Counting Spaces does not take Mobile into account).

ninja'd x2

Well, the rule for edges mentions mobile and massive explicitly though ... so it's not exactly the same.

Blocking Terrain, p 7 wrote:
Sometimes blocking terrain is only on one edge of a space.
Figures cannot move through or be pushed through this edge.
Large figures cannot move onto, be pushed through, or be
placed on a blocking edge unless they have a special ability that
allows this, such as Massive or Mobile

Impassable Terrain has an identical passage.
If anything by annoyingly strict interpretation of the text it supports that mobile figures shouldn't be allowed that diagonal movement since it doesn't have a similar explicit mention.

I will still probably also go with the house rule that they get the diagonal move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can try to remember to ask about this when I have the next bigger rules question to fire off to FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Boba Fett and Probe Droids, there's also the not-terribly-exciting Jetpacks upgrade for the Technological Superiority class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, you have to know when to take rules extremely literally, and when to cut them a little slack. I am certainly a rules lawyer and I can see where the argument is coming from, but it is clearly not meant to be interpreted that way in this case.

I could provide quite a few examples of things that fully break the rules as written when interpreted literally, yet are obviously correct. As one example, the rulings we've been given on Ranged Cleave do not follow the rules at all.

In the case of this thread's query, the rule is written in the sense of a typical figure cannot cross through a corner comprised of diagonally adjacent wall and blocking terrain, or two diagonally adjacent sets of blocking terrain corners. Mobile allows you to cross edges of blocking terrain. Thus, the Mobile figure can cross such corners.

It is correct that it is not explicitly mentioned, but it does not require this. The implication is clear and the alternative, despite being a valid conclusion given a very literal interpretation of the rules, is also pretty absurd.

I do not believe this requires errata. It's a triviality that does not need to be explicitly called out. If we do give it that much importance, then there are many other things that would need similar attention, and it is simply not worth the time to bother with them when the answer is clear.

tldr; Yes, you can argue you can't move on a trivial technicality, but you are being way too literal if you do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allright guys, I have received a reply to my rules question:

My Rules Question Submission wrote:
Hi guys, me and some others on BGG were stumped by a question (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21271207) "Movement" states: "[...] a figure cannot move through the diagonal intersection of any combination of wall, blocking terrain, or impassable terrain " The rules for "Mobile", "blocking" and "impassable" seem to explicitly remove any limitations on movement except this one. Rules as Written are clear, but it feels strange that Mobile would remove all limitations except this one very obscure one. So is it really intended to work like that? A small mobile figure cannot move diagonally across a corner like that? Thanks a bunch, Cheers and happy holidays! Chris

Paul Winchester wrote:
A figure with “Mobile” can pass through the diagonal intersection of a wall, blocking terrain, and/or impassable terrain (except 2 walls, but that shouldn’t exist).

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.