Monopoly Junior: Disney Princess» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Only princesses? Sexism at its worst! (A light review) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
flag msg tools
Take on the role of one of the heroines of the Disney world as you become a ruthless proprietor of run-down castles and properties. Charge rent to your opponents to stay in the dark, drafty domiciles you've built.

What's Good
Each of the relevant "princesses" (more on this in a moment) is well-presented on the game board. Mind you, they've all got this "come hither..." look about them that is really rather strange...especially that Mulan. And the plastic castles sure do look yummy (but be warned--they'll give you heartburn faster than you can say "Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho").

What's Bad
Look, the game has nothing but princesses as the playing pieces. That means that it's exclusively a no-boys-allowed club. That's just wrong. Why can't we throw in, say, a couple of the dwarfs as characters, not just as spaces on the board? Or maybe The Beast from the eponymous movie? Would that be so much to ask? Heck, I'd even take one of the dalmatians. But noooooo...only Princesses.

And that gets me thinking: Pocahontas is included, but hello Disney!--she wasn't a princess. She was the daughter of Wahunsunacock, and last time I checked he wasn't called King. So we've got blatant false advertising at the best, and deliberate deception of innocent children at the worst.

(I can just see it now...some poor little girl grows up with the "knowledge" that Pocahontas was a princess, and when confronted with that question on her SAT, she misses it and thus doesn't get into Harvard. She gets a job at the Quik-E-Mart, marries a rodeo clown, and has twelve children. Nice job, Disney.)

But what I really have a problem with are the Prince spaces, especially that dastardly Prince Charming. Charming! He'd better be, if I have to pay $5 for the privilege of shacking up with him! There's something very disturbing about that whole notion...

And tell me, why is it that one of the spaces has a picture of a couple of rodents? Would you want to rent a room in a rat-infested hotel? I didn't think so.

My niece seems to love this game. Her mom tells me that it's because she always wins. I think she's secretly got a fascination with displacing defenseless animals and building castles on their homes.

I simply cannot recommend this game. It has too many themes that are against the supposed common values of the nation, and it teaches children that it's okay to exclude members of the opposite sex.

Then again...I won in the game against my niece...maybe it's not all bad.

Score (adult perspective):
Score (child perspective):
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.