Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Weight Room tile allows you to increase the strength of a worker by adding a pawn to the worker. The rules say to stack a "matching male/female pawn, if possible." I'm assuming this means it is allowed to add an opposite-gender pawn if you don't have the matching gender available.

My question is this: What gender is the worker now? Does it remain its original gender (i.e. that of the pawn on the bottom top of the stack)? This is important for the "create a new worker" action, which can only be performed by a female worker.

Edit: I reread the rules and realized that you place the new pawn UNDER the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the opposite assumption, that if you don't have a matching meeple you just don't get the benefit.

I don't think they were very receptive to gender-bending in turn of the century Russia. In fact, it doesn't seem like they are very receptive now either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll have to see if Corné has an official ruling, but I went the same way as Roger, keeping the original gender. I kept the original meeple on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:
I made the opposite assumption, that if you don't have a matching meeple you just don't get the benefit.

I don't think they were very receptive to gender-bending in turn of the century Russia. In fact, it doesn't seem like they are very receptive now either.

Hmm. Thematically, I agree with you.* But the rule for the Weight Room tile reads:

Quote:
Place one of your remaining pawns under this worker.(A matching male/female pawn, if possible.) If you had no pawns remaining, you don’t move the extra month.

Maybe it's a translation problem, but I would think if that if you can't place an opposite gender pawn under your worker, the rules would have said something like, "Place one of your remaining matching (male/female) pawns under this worker. If you have no pawns remaining that match, you may not increase the strength of the worker and you don’t move the extra month."

Now that I am reminded that the new pawn goes UNDER the existing pawn, it makes sense that the pawn on top determines the gender. However, it would be great to have an official ruling!

[* Regarding gender-bending today, I am glad that we are making strides in understanding the fluidity and complexities of gender identity. I am perfectly ok with the Weight Room making my female workers a little more manly and my male workers a little more womanly. Happens all the time at my gym.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Corné taught me the game at Spiel 2015 and this situation occurred. If I remember correctly he said that the upper (i.e. original) worker determines the gender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.