Subject: Capturing the 12th by the 12th rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I've just finished the Peleliu Assault scenario for the tenth time or so. Like in most of my attempts I end up losing turn 12 with (exactly) eleven positions secured. As usual those are B3-B10 and A1-A3. I also almost always occupy A4, A7, B12 and B18.

I've found it to be a rather huge step between securing those eleven positions and the elusive twelfth. (The one time I remember getting past turn 12, I captured B13.).

If you're lucky, you get an early counter-attack that wipes out the Japanese tanks, making the airfield buildings less difficult to occupy. Other than that I only see A10 and A14 as difficult-but-possible positions to secure.

Assuming most of you capture the same "easy" eleven positions as I do: when you're successful, which is your twelfth?

Bottom line: have you found a good strategy to get past turn 12?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Freda
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin

I have had very similar experiences to yours. One of these times I'll get lucky and win. It is too much fun to not keep trying.

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Janowicz
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John B. games are great, but Victory conditios are one of the worst I have ever seen. Why? It`s not fun when your victory depends how lucky you are with cards, not your strategy decisions.
In D-day Peleliu one of victory condition is: "secure coral positions A5,A6 and A12".

Seriously? In 12 turns? 11 becuse real landings starting at turn number 2. You can`t move more then 1 hex most of the time. Terrain and Intense fire dots makes this impossible. Here is small picture:

So you need 10 turns just to move there (game turn 11). What about fighting? So you need to get some really lucky cards and events to win by secure those hexes.

Close combat wasn`t easy in D-day Tarawa, now is even worse. I know Japanese soldiers were deadly in close combat, so US Marines use thier fire power to kill enemy from distance. So why so many units and depth markers has CC mark??

Sometimes I wonder did John B. win his game more then 2-3 times out of 50 when he was testing his game. I`m not sure did USA won this battle after all whistle.

Game is great, but house rules need to be implemented. Winnig at turn 24 is more possible, but hard like hell too.
Anyway I still play this game, so that mean I still like it arrrh .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tomdrake wrote:
John B. games are great, but Victory conditios are one of the worst I have ever seen. Why? It`s not fun when your victory depends how lucky you are with cards, not your strategy decisions.

+1

tomdrake wrote:

Winnig at turn 24 is more possible, but hard like hell too.

I wouldn't say it's "more possible", just another degree of impossible.

The good thing is I'm confident mr Butterfield will adjust some of the rules and/or the victory conditions eventually, and then we'll have an even better game in our hands.

Edit. Still looking forward to hear some strategy tips from those of you who made it past turn 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C T
Peru
California
flag msg tools
I played it approximately 20-25 times and never succeeded. It is still fun as I often find myself completely immerse in the game, but once in a while I would like to winshake. I have put the game away for the meantime and will look forward to playing it again when some modification of the rules is released. I actually like that it is difficult and i think it is better to tune down the difficulty rather than the other way around. I see a lot of playtime for many years in the future with this series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Janowicz
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we could play TRUE scenario. Here is a map "Assault on Peleliu" and it shows marines positions on day of 15th:

We have another photo on page 37 in our game book "Campaign Analysis".

So to win, we need to control following hexes:
-all landing from B1 to A4

-A7, A9, A16, B18

-and to not make to easy ,also B10, B13, B14, B15, B16

And if you have enemy dot fire into your hex A4 or B12 or 15, but you have your unit there (not garrison=illegal action), you have control.

This is one of scenarios. You can add another hex here or there, but in my opinion this represents more historical scenario.

Anyway, this will be my next game 12 turn win scenario ninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was a post on the CSW forum saying that the victory conditions come from what the Marines orders were to capture and not what they actually captured. Which I think is a great idea.

A possible solution to feeling like a failure each play would be to add a lower level victory/tie set of conditions which would equal what actually happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rainsong94 wrote:
I played it approximately 20-25 times and never succeeded. It is still fun as I often find myself completely immerse in the game, but once in a while I would like to winshake. I have put the game away for the meantime and will look forward to playing it again when some modification of the rules is released. I actually like that it is difficult and i think it is better to tune down the difficulty rather than the other way around. I see a lot of playtime for many years in the future with this series.

The problem I have with games that are impossible for me to win- I'm looking at you PHANTOM FURY- is that not only do I lose interest in the game, but I'm reluctant to buy other products by the same designer. If I never can win and feel that the game is stacked against me, then no matter how interesting the game design and mechanics, a feeling of total frustration eventually takes over and I find myself looking elsewhere for a game to play.

I own D Day at Omaha/Tarawa, RAF, and Ambush by Butterfield, and I considered this one, too, but after reading how difficult it is to win, I'll pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Janowicz
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HorizonMan wrote:
There was a post on the CSW forum saying that the victory conditions come from what the Marines orders were to capture and not what they actually captured...

A Bridge Too Far???

I agree with you, but in my last play, I got two times in the row letter "P" order and for 2 turns my units did nothing. They got Disrupted (all US units within 4 hexes!!?)and they have been watching enemy soldiers walking around, patrol . If you are unlucky the moments like this one, can kill your victory against time, not enemy.
No dice in game, but this is like rolling a ONE dice and fail for many US units after one single roll (card).

I think those letter actions should be on cards as Events. Japanese soldiers do more attacks then You, shooting through brush without any problems (half strenght for US). They are in buldings, defence bonus, you are in bulding, nothing.

After many losted battles you are just frustrated, and you looking for new options, so game is still fun. If not, well, you sell the game or put on the top shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The P Action is an errata; it's only 1 unit that is disrupted.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19576154#19576154
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Janowicz
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blush
LOL. Thx my friend. This change a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tomdrake wrote:

In D-day Peleliu one of victory condition is: "secure coral positions A5,A6 and A12".

Seriously? In 12 turns? 11 becuse real landings starting at turn number 2. You can`t move more then 1 hex most of the time. Terrain and Intense fire dots makes this impossible. Here is small picture:

0531 is a shallow hex, it's baby blue water and clear yellow land. there's no dark blue (deep).

So try this amendment.

(Excuse the odd fonts, it's a free app I just downloaded to allow me to quickly add text to photos

Note that these numbers are based on your starting efforts. In my game I was a couple of turns slower aiming for the corals and then discovered A12 needed flanking!!

But you get the idea.

Edit.... Bigger image :

Use a tank to backup the approach by barraging to get lucky disrupts. Naval token, well you're laughing if you turn one up at the right time.

Using CC to take the corals can be a good idea too as you save a turn on moving into the spots, plus also avoid an annoyingly bad times muster or reinforce right after you cleared with an attack!

Side note...less key, but Hex 0332 also appears to have shallow water, but it does not take up a clear majority of the area, can anyone ( map designer ?!) chime in here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Simon

Did you knock out the yellow position in 0731 and brown position in 0632 (top of picture) before attacking across the shallows? Or how did you avoid getting chewed up in 0531? I find it very common that all positions around the shallows have depth by the time you're ready to assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.