14 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Villain - Cold Current (with Card Art) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Greetings! Here is Cold Current, the nemesis of Dark Current and the leader of World Wide Domination, the nemesis villain organization to my previously released Night Shield hero group.

Cold Current's deck contains character cards for both solo and team villain play (vengeance style) so he can be incorporated into whatever fashion you prefer. With VotM releasing soon, I decided to include team villain cards for all my upcoming WWD bad guys.

As always, I'd appreciate any feedback you all can give. I'm including links to the full color deck and a black and white play test deck for your use:

Color Deck: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BygBoX3Z9iH1Y3VDWEpaLVlTYT...

BW Deck: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BygBoX3Z9iH1bXg4TDVwZnI4UU...

Individual card files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BygBoX3Z9iH1UXF3MzBpSWoybm...

Teaser Pics:

Prelude
The super-powered saboteur known as Cold Current rose from his seat at the head of the conference table. He cleared his throat to speak to the four individuals sitting with him. If all went well, after today they’d be known collectively as World Wide Domination, a league of the multiverse’s most vicious villains gathering together for their own promotion… and survival against the increasing interference from the multiverse’s heroes.

He greeted the two women and one man on his right. “Ladies. Gentleman.” He looked to his left at the abomination with its trio of ever-watchful eyeballs just beneath its metallo-crystalline ‘flesh’. “And whatever the hell you are,” he muttered beneath his breath, then simply nodded.

“My employer bids you welcome,” he said, chuckling to himself. He always found it amusing referring to himself in the third person, but it was necessary to keep his true identity, Dr. Edward Alva, the billionaire inventor, robotocist and CEO of A-Tech a secret from scoundrels such as these.

“He’s asked you all here today to gauge your interest in a little plan he likes to call… world wide domination. Simply, we five will take over the world and divide it amongst ourselves.”

Cold Current activated the holographic world map.

“Don Sparkoni, you will take charge of North America. Vapyre, Africa and the Middle East are yours. Poker Face, the Eurasian supercontinent west of the Urals. Stibium Black, South America falls to you. And my employer wishes to be named Master of Oceania and the Far East.”

He chuckled as first shock, then greed ran across their faces.

“Now that I have your interest. Let's begin....”

Overview
Cold Current is the alter-ego of Dr. Edward Alva, a billionaire roboticist in the vein of Obadiah Stain and Lex Luthor. His villainous persona acts as the mastermind leader of World Wide Domination, a league of the planet’s 5 most ruthless super villains. On his starting side, Alva seems little more than a cold-hearted businessman looking to dominate the tech industry. However, his alter-ego leads daring raids on rival corporations, controlling a small army of high tech robots whose main mission is the acquisition of technology. Thus, at the start of the game, Alva directs his bots to acquire large quantities of hero gadgets. When the time is right, Alva flips and reveals his true self: Cold Current dons his power suit and systematically takes down the heroes by converting their former equipment into additional lethal bots and advanced tech.

Origin
Dr. Edward Alva is an ultra-wealthy inventor and famous roboticist secretly trying to take over the world through his technological superiority. He created WWD to counter the growing number of super heroes and vigilantes threatening his not-so-legal business dealings. He directs his criminal organization to perform the kinds of militaristic and terroristic missions his corporate persona cannot. His modus operandi is to act as the financial backer of high tech research efforts, then take them for himself, gaining all the credit and payoff.

His latest enterprise was supporting Dr. Hannah McGregor’s quantum physics research into dark energy and dark matter. While she and her fiancé did the legwork, Alva sought to militarize their tech. He approached her fiancé with the offer, but the man refused. So Alva stole research on the eve of its unveiling, and then caused the explosion that killed McGregor’s research team and fiancé. The investigation that followed thoroughly disgraced the woman and after years she disappeared, bankrupt and alone.

Meanwhile, Alva used her secrets to unlock the cold current - the connecting brane between dark matter and thermal energy. He developed the science into advanced tech to cool his ultrabots’ fusion reactor cores and power his battle suit. Furthermore, he sold prototype batches to the military, making billions on the inferior models. However, he was never able to unlock the full potential of McGregor’s research – the elusive dark current science. Thus, he has kept in touch with her, pretending to be her understanding friend. All the while his bots monitor her comings and goings, drawing ever closer to discovering her secret and ultimately ending her life.

Powers
As his alter-ego, Dr. Alva wears a powered suit that is half robotic- half dark current technology. He uses the suit to commit industrial espionage of high security sites. However, the appearance of the vigilante Dark Current means someone else knows his secret and her suit is more powerful than his own. And that he cannot abide. So he has his bots hunting for her, seeking to claim her more advanced tech for himself. His suit can fire super cool anti-plasmas and cold current particles. He also equips himself with some of the latest nanotech gadgetry. Lastly, he commands a small legion of militarized ultrabots packed with state-of-the-art firepower and defenses.

Lair - more on this new mechanic when I release the 5 environment decks.
As the major supplier and developer of the Odyssey Space Station, Cold Current had no difficulty installing machinery and programming that would transform the orbiting research facility into his personal military base at the press of his cell phone’s touchscreen.

His private fleet of supra-orbital launch vehicles stand ready on all 7 continents to take him to the space station at a moment’s notice should he need to flee the planet or launch his diabolical doomsday plan.

Cold Current’s Deck

Villain Cards (2)
Cold Current Dr. Edward Alva
HP: 75
Title: Cold-Hearted Industrialist
Reverting to Cold Current name so as not to break cards that specify him as the villain and not Dr. Edward Alva.

Setup: At the start of the game, put the villain character cards into play Cold-Hearted Industrialist side up. Reveal cards from the top of the villain deck until H-2 'Robots' / 'Advanced Tech' cards are revealed. Put them into play. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into the deck.

Gameplay: At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current earns 1 + X acquisition tokens where X = the number of ‘robots’ in play. At the start of the villain turn, destroy 3 acquisition tokens and move 1 hero equipment/ongoing card from play to beneath this card. These cards gain the keyword 'Acquired', but have no other text. When H-2 H-1 equipment/ongoing cards have been acquired, flip the villain character cards.
Slight delay to flipping to give heroes more set up time before Dr. Edward Alva flips to Cold Current damage mode.

Advanced: Acquisition points are also increased by + Y where Y = the number of 'Advanced Tech' cards in play. At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current also earns acquisition tokens = to the number of ‘advanced tech’ cards in play. Clarifying how and when the extra tokens would be earned.

Cold Current
HP: 75
Title: Corporate Raider

Gameplay: At the start of the villain turn, destroy 1 ‘acquired’ hero card, then reveal cards from the top of the villain deck until a ‘robot’ or ‘advanced tech’ card appears. Put that card into play. Discard the other revealed cards. Cold Current regains 1 HP per discarded card. When all ‘acquired’ hero cards are destroyed, flip Cold Current’s villain character Cards. At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current deals all hero targets H-2 cold damage each.

Advanced: Increase all villain target 'robot' damage by 1. Damage buff applies to robots only to give heroes a sense of greater control over the fight.

Team Villain Card (1)
Starting Side
HP: 32
Title: Corporate Raider

Setup: At the start of the game, put this team villain character card into play active side up. Reveal cards from the top of Cold Current’s deck until 1 'Robot' and 1 'Advanced Tech' card are revealed. Put them into play. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into the deck.

Gameplay: At the start of the villain turn, place 1 acquisition token on this card for each hero equipment/ ongoing card in play. At the end of the villain turn, destroy all acquisition tokens. Each hero can either destroy an equipment/ongoing card or take 1 + X cold damage where X = the number of acquisition tokens destroyed.

Advanced: As above, plus at the end of the villain turn Cold Current regains 1 HP per acquisition token destroyed.

Apprehended Side - defeated villains in team mode have a power similar to hero incapacitated powers.
Power: Autonomous operation. At the start of the villain turn, all robots with HP use their powers.

The Main Deck (25)
Title
Keyword
Description
Count

Ion Trap Armor (10 HP)
Advanced Tech
Redirect all damage targeting Cold Current to this card after the following modifications:
* Reduce cold damage to 0 and Cold Current regains that many HP instead.

Redirect all damage targeting Cold Current to this card, then apply the following mods:
* When this card would be dealt cold damage, Cold Current regains that many HP instead.

* Reduce fire damage by 2.
* Reduce lightning damage by 1.
Clarifying damage is redirected to armor card first, then modified to heal or be reduced.

Sisyphus Cooling Conduit (7 HP)
Advanced Tech
At the start of the villain turn, Cold Current deals all hero targets 2 cold damage each. At the end of the villain turn, all villain targets regain 2 HP each.

T-CAM (4 HP)
Advanced Tech
Whenever Cold Current would gain an any acquisition tokens, increase that number by 1 additional token.
At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current regains 1 HP.
Clarifying card mechanics.

Doppler Cooling Cone (4 HP)

Advanced Tech
At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current deals all hero targets H-1 cold damage.
Reduce all hero targets’ next damage by 1.

Magneto Optical Trap (7 HP)
Advanced Tech
Reduce the damage dealt by all hero targets by 1.
At the end of the villain turn, play the top card of the villain deck.

Sublimation Screen (4 HP)

Advanced Tech
At the start of the villain turn, all hero targets must discard 1 card or be unable to use powers on their turn. all players may discard 1 card. For each player that does not, their hero cannot use powers until the start of the next villain turn.
Clarifying card mechanics.

Cold Truth
One shot
Increase the damage taken by all hero targets by 1. At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current gains 1 acquisition token for each acquired card beneath his villain character card.
Cold Current deals each hero 1 cold damage for each of their acquired cards beneath his villain character card.
Eliminating need for tracking on a one shot card.

Frozen Assets
One-Shot
Cold current gains x acquisition tokens where x = the number of equipment/ongoing cards in the play area of the hero with the most cards in play.
H - 2 of those cards have no text until the start of the next villain turn.
Decreased severity of penalty for player that relies heavily on equipment / ongoing cards.

Cryo Beam
One-Shot
Cold Current deals the hero target with the highest HP H-1 cold damage damage. That hero cannot play cards until the start of the next villain turn.

Frosty Reception

One-shot
Cold Current deals the hero with the fewest card in play 2 melee and 2 cold damage.

Icy Dividends
Ongoing
At the end of the villain turn, this card deals all hero targets 2 projectile damage each. Hero targets cannot regain any HP while this card is active. At the start of the villain turn, destroy this card and Cold Current regains H HP.

Mk III-I Bot (3 HP)

Robot, Infiltrator Chassis
At the end of the villain turn, this card deals the hero target with 2nd highest HP 1 projectile and 1 energy damage.
That hero must discard a one-shot card or take an additional 1 energy damage.
No changes planned at this time.

MK V-P Bot (5 HP)
Robot, Predator Chassis
At the end of the villain turn, this card deals all hero targets H - 2 lightning damage each.
At the end of the hero turn, if a hero drew cards during their turn they deal themselves 1 lightning damage. At the end of each hero turn, if that player drew any cards during that turn that hero deals itself 1 lightning damage.
Clarifying triggering and timing issues.

MK VII-E Bot (7 HP)
Robot, Eliminator Chassis
At the end of the villain turn, place this card beside hero character with most HP. This card deals that hero H - 1 irreducible melee damage.
Each time this card would be dealt damage, redirect 1 point of that damage to the hero card next to it. Each time this card would be dealt damage, reduce that damage by 1 and this card deals the hero beside it 1 damage of the same type. This damage cannot be reduced to less than 1.
Reworded to clarify redirected portion of damage.

MK X-D Bot (10 HP)

Robot, Devastator Chassis
At the end of the villain turn, this card deals The 3 hero targets with the fewest HP H - 1 energy damage each.
Reduce the damage taken by all ‘robots’ by 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
If anyone gets a chance to play test this guy could you let me know your opinion on his difficulty level?

I was shooting for a 3 as he's the leader of WWD, but it's hard to be objective about that while play testing your own creation.

One area I'm thinking that might make him too 'easy' is the HP level of his character and more precisely his bots. I could bump them and increase the challenge easily that way, but I don't know if it's necessary.

In this latest version of the character I increased the number of villain targets, so I went with quantity over 'quality'. I was thinking that would be good enough to achieve the challenge level I was looking for.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Got another play test in before making final edits for a printer studio run on this guy.

I was targeting a 2-3 difficulty villain and that feels where he's at right now.

The test was vs. team of 4 heroes:
Wraith
Omnitron X
Bunker
Stranger
battling Cold Current and his bot / tech army in the Freedom Tower.

Probably bad choices for hero team given what Cold Current specializes in: taking your equipment and ongoings. He had plenty to choose from with this group of heroes... we had a good 2 dozen cards in play at one point near the end.

We won after about 10 rounds. Stranger and Wraith were down to 5 HP, Bunker was at 12 HP, and Omnitron at 18 HP.

If we hadn't taken him out when we did he would've flipped again in another round and had 18 acquisition tokens stored for a massive 6 card robot / tech spawn that would've overwhelmed us

I'd say he compares favorably to Apostate, although not as consistently tough as he's more cyclical. There were rounds where he did a few points of damage and others where he was spiking us pretty hard.

I think the biggest saving grace was Omnitron healing like a beast. I estimate he was healing everyone 1-2 points every turn the entire game. Plus, the environment was throwing out 1 HP heal each turn. Without those heals we wouldn't have survived as long as we did and certainly wouldn't have won.

Anyway, based on the game I edited a few cards with missing timing information. Also tweaked and simplified a couple cards for smoother operation.

Biggest change I'm still considering is making his acquisition process more routine rather than on his front side only. Would like more opinions / play tests before I do that though as, overall, I'm pleased with where he's at and what he can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what the final cards look like, but you shouldn't change the name of the character card on the front side to Dr. Alva, because then cards that order Cold Current to do something won't find a source for the damage they deal or the correct target to give HP to. Perhaps change the descriptor to "Dr. Alva, Cold-Hearted Industrialist" and leave the name alone.

I'm glad to see that you cleared up the timing issues. I was going to say something before, but I didn't have the time to go over it.

During Setup, you should say: "Shuffle the other revealed cards back into the villain deck." Otherwise, you are giving the order to shuffle the cards that were put into play back into the deck, too. And the published cards always say "into the villain deck" but I really think you don't need that, if you are trying to save space.

The Advanced rule should read: "At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current earns additional Acquisition Tokens equal to the number of Advanced Tech cards in play." The main problem here is that the formula is incomplete. While I think it is obvious what you meant here, this could be misinterpreted to mean that any time Cold Current acquires Acquisition Tokens, increase the number gained, since these Tokens can be picked up outside the end-of-villain-turn phase.

May I suggest that the reverse side's Advanced rule only apply the damage bonus to Robots? This way, the heroes can do something about it before the villain flips back, by destroying Robots. You accelerate the rate at which Robots are played on this side, so it should be noticeable.

Iron Trap Armor should not reduce the cold damage to 0. Doing so means that no HP will be regained. It should say: "When this card would be dealt cold damage, Cold Current regains that much HP, instead." The word "instead" already forgoes the damage actually being dealt.

T-CAM should say: "Whenever Cold Current would gain any Acquisition Tokens, increase that number by 1." The way it is currently worded looks like the number is only increased if exactly 1 Token would be gained, which I think isn't your intent.

Sublimation Screen definitely shouldn't apply to all hero targets. Unity is punished severely! It should order each player to discard 1 card. Besides that, it shouldn't say "must discard" unless the part about not using powers only applies if it is impossible for someone to discard. I think you want to say that each player may discard a card. For each player that does not, their hero cannot use powers, until the start of the next villain turn.

Icy Dividends should say: "Hero targets cannot regain HP. At the end of the villain turn, this card deals all hero targets 2 projectile damage each. At the start of the villain turn, Cold Current regains (H) HP, then destroys this card.

For the Mk III-I Bot, I'm not sure why you'd require a One-Shot to be discarded. Why not just "a card" since that is more likely to matter for heroes with few One-Shots, and because there's little difference between strength of One-Shots and any other type of card. Also, while it isn't a problem to make people prove that they aren't holding a One-Shot when they aren't in a co-operative game, it seems odd to necessitate. If you really want to emphasize the discarding of One-Shots, I suggest making this Robot cause a discard of any card and Sublimation Screen allow the discard of specifically a One-Shot or be unable to use powers.

The Mk V-P Bot should say: "At the end of each hero turn, if that player drew any cards during that turn, that hero deals itself 1 lightning damage." Most of this is just for clarity, but adding "any" means that the line can't be misinterpreted to mean the damage is dealt only if more than 1 card is drawn.

There's a problem with partial redirects of damage. The MK VII-E Bot might be better served as saying: "At the end of the villain turn, place this card beside the hero character with most HP. This card deals that target (H) minus 1 irreducible melee damage. Each time this card would be dealt damage, reduce that damage by 1 and this card deals the target next to it 1 damage of the same type. This damage cannot be reduced to less than 1." I think this does pretty much what you want, but it is way clearer how to handle damage buffs and nerfs. Also, as written, this card moves at the end of each villain turn, which I think is intentional. If not, consider placing it next to the hero character with the most HP when this card enters play.

I look forward to playing this villain some time. It looks good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I took most of your advice and edited the card text. The only one I didn't was for the MK III-i Bot. The purpose of it specifically causing heroes to discard one-shots is that as the infiltrator chassis, the MK III-i gets into enemy systems to acquire knowledge about what tech is good to take or junk to leave.

That concept is represented by this bot forcing you to discard one-shots (junk to its AI) and retain ongoings/ equipments (good stuff!). This will cause heroes to enrich their hand with cards that Cold Current desires to enhance his own abilities.

So the bots are acting on their programming to get your hero to help its programmer by decreasing your pool of 'useless' one-shots and increasing Cold Current's chances of stealing your good tech (ongoing/equipment).

Sadly, my print order went through a few hours before you posted, so I'm going to have to reorder the edited cards at a later date. I couldn't pass up the 10% free SH deal that expired on 12/24 as this deck was only 27 of 270 cards I'd ordered.

However, I'm uploading the newest version of the cards for anyone to print on their own schedule.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. I understand that. But I'm thinking that it still works better under Sublimation Screen. If you are trying to thin the number of One-Shots to encourage Ongoings and Equipment to enter play, then the Screen, which affects all heroes, is likely to facilitate that goal better than the single-hero-affecting Robot. Also, it is much easier to weather 1 energy damage versus the Screen preventing power usage. The Robot might just be programmed to react faster-than-humanly-possible to whatever a hero might try to do, limiting the heroes' overall options, while the Screen scans for "garbage" and "screens" it out. "Each player may discard a One-Shot. Any player that does not may not use powers, until the start of the next villain turn."

I'm digging this deck. Here are some more findings and suggestions just to get this as perfect as possible....

Could you please capitalize the I, E, P, and D in the Robot titles? They look funny being lower-case, when they are to be read as an initial. Also, it'll help to tell the difference between the V-P and X-D, since the font is all stylized.

For the Game Play section of the Cold-Hearted Industrialist, I suggest saying: "At the start of the villain turn, for every 3 Acquisition Tokens, move 1 hero Ongoing or Equipment card beneath this card. Cards under this are acquired and have no other effect. Destroy 3 Acquisition tokens for each card acquired this turn."

The main difference is that Cold Current will destroy 3 tokens, even if there are no hero Ongoing or Equipment cards in play and he gets nothing for it. It also properly handles the "more than 1 card can be taken" bit in a rule-sy way.

On the reverse side, "a acquired" should be "an acquired", "appears" should be "is revealed", and "When all acquired cards are destroyed" should be "When no acquired cards remain under this card" ... if you want to match published deck verbiage. It really won't change a lot, but if you're going to alter the front, may as well get it all, yeah?

I apologize that I didn't even look at the team villain card before my earlier post. There's somethings that should be addressed there. To start, I think it is really awesome that you even thought to include such an option. In the Set-Up section, should we remove 5 cards from the villain deck? Perhaps those that are really damaging, considering what the rest of the villain team will be doing? I ask because all the team villains have 20-card decks. It really isn't vital to match that amount, but you know.

The Advanced text should say "At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current regains HP equal to the number of acquisition tokens destroyed this turn." Saying "As above" isn't necessary, since Advanced rules are not assumed to replaced the Game Play directions, and "this turn" explicitly states that it doesn't mean "cumulatively throughout the game".

But the flip side is the real concern. The incapacitated rule implies that the Robots still in play all act, but the (non-character) cards belonging to a team villain are all removed from the game upon that villain's defeat, just like with hero decks. Thus, no Robots would remain in play. The text on the front of the card can include instructions to over-ride this, but even then, the wording on the back is bad. The Robots don't act at the start, any Robots necessarily have HP or they wouldn't be in play, so no need to mention that part, and they don't use powers, they just apply their effects.

Perhaps "When flipped to this side, place all Robots from Cold Current's deck beside this card to form the Robot Deck. At the start of Cold Current's turn, play the top card of the Robot Deck."

The Robots don't have quotation marks in their quote bubbles.

Is the Infiltrator Chassis dealing the additional 1 energy damage, or is it unsourced (which is fine, just checking)? Perhaps it makes the hero hit himself for that damage, if the card isn't discarded?

The Devastator Chassis should say "lowest" instead of "fewest" and "Reduce damage dealt to Robots by 1" to match existing functions.

The Predator Chassis has typos in the quote. Fix "resonance" and remove "a" before 10 km or add "range" after.

Doppler Cooling Cone should probably say: "deals all hero targets (H) minus 1 cold damage each" or "deals each hero target (H) minus 1 cold damage."

Cryo Beam says "cold damage damage."

Frozen Assets might just be nerfed against Unity, Captain Crunch, or the Sentinels. Instead of considering the hero with most cards in play, it should consider the hero with the most Ongoing and Equipment cards in play. Try: "Cold Current gains X Acquisition Tokens, where X = the number of Ongoing and Equipment cards belonging to the hero with the most of them in play."

All published cards spell out "minus" instead of using "-" in all instances. I understand if you'd prefer not to. But do notice that sometimes you have a space between the (H) and the - and sometimes you miss that space.

In the quote bubble of Frozen Assets, you misspelled "All your base are belong to us!"

Finally, your artwork is fantastic. Absolutely beautiful. How has no-one else mentioned that yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:

Finally, your artwork is fantastic. Absolutely beautiful. How has no-one else mentioned that yet?

Well, I'm pretty sure he's using screenshots from the now defunct City of Heroes MMORPG, so it's not technically "artwork".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
I created all of these characters using CoH's stellar customization software, which has been given new life as a standalone program called Icon by a former player. However, Icon is just a tool with millions of pieces of pre-generated artwork. None of these characters existed prior to my imagination weaving them together with a combination of Icon, Manga Studio, Photoshop and Illustrator.

I'm not sure if you're putting me down or not, but if so I'd argue that this is just as much art given that I'm creating something new using a novel medium. And it's taken me more hours than I can count to put together each deck.

I liken it to Lego's being engineering. Just because all the different blocks exist in a box doesn't mean it's any less engineering just because you didn't cast the plastic pieces yourself with an injection molder.

But regardless, I'm enjoying putting these cards together and if some of you like what I'm posting that's even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Okay. I understand that. But I'm thinking that it still works better under Sublimation Screen. If you are trying to thin the number of One-Shots to encourage Ongoings and Equipment to enter play, then the Screen, which affects all heroes, is likely to facilitate that goal better than the single-hero-affecting Robot. Also, it is much easier to weather 1 energy damage versus the Screen preventing power usage. The Robot might just be programmed to react faster-than-humanly-possible to whatever a hero might try to do, limiting the heroes' overall options, while the Screen scans for "garbage" and "screens" it out. "Each player may discard a One-Shot. Any player that does not may not use powers, until the start of the next villain turn."

I'm digging this deck. Here are some more findings and suggestions just to get this as perfect as possible....

Could you please capitalize the I, E, P, and D in the Robot titles? They look funny being lower-case, when they are to be read as an initial. Also, it'll help to tell the difference between the V-P and X-D, since the font is all stylized.

For the Game Play section of the Cold-Hearted Industrialist, I suggest saying: "At the start of the villain turn, for every 3 Acquisition Tokens, move 1 hero Ongoing or Equipment card beneath this card. Cards under this are acquired and have no other effect. Destroy 3 Acquisition tokens for each card acquired this turn."

The main difference is that Cold Current will destroy 3 tokens, even if there are no hero Ongoing or Equipment cards in play and he gets nothing for it. It also properly handles the "more than 1 card can be taken" bit in a rule-sy way.

On the reverse side, "a acquired" should be "an acquired", "appears" should be "is revealed", and "When all acquired cards are destroyed" should be "When no acquired cards remain under this card" ... if you want to match published deck verbiage. It really won't change a lot, but if you're going to alter the front, may as well get it all, yeah?

I apologize that I didn't even look at the team villain card before my earlier post. There's somethings that should be addressed there. To start, I think it is really awesome that you even thought to include such an option. In the Set-Up section, should we remove 5 cards from the villain deck? Perhaps those that are really damaging, considering what the rest of the villain team will be doing? I ask because all the team villains have 20-card decks. It really isn't vital to match that amount, but you know.

The Advanced text should say "At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current regains HP equal to the number of acquisition tokens destroyed this turn." Saying "As above" isn't necessary, since Advanced rules are not assumed to replaced the Game Play directions, and "this turn" explicitly states that it doesn't mean "cumulatively throughout the game".

But the flip side is the real concern. The incapacitated rule implies that the Robots still in play all act, but the (non-character) cards belonging to a team villain are all removed from the game upon that villain's defeat, just like with hero decks. Thus, no Robots would remain in play. The text on the front of the card can include instructions to over-ride this, but even then, the wording on the back is bad. The Robots don't act at the start, any Robots necessarily have HP or they wouldn't be in play, so no need to mention that part, and they don't use powers, they just apply their effects.

Perhaps "When flipped to this side, place all Robots from Cold Current's deck beside this card to form the Robot Deck. At the start of Cold Current's turn, play the top card of the Robot Deck."

The Robots don't have quotation marks in their quote bubbles.

Is the Infiltrator Chassis dealing the additional 1 energy damage, or is it unsourced (which is fine, just checking)? Perhaps it makes the hero hit himself for that damage, if the card isn't discarded?

The Devastator Chassis should say "lowest" instead of "fewest" and "Reduce damage dealt to Robots by 1" to match existing functions.

The Predator Chassis has typos in the quote. Fix "resonance" and remove "a" before 10 km or add "range" after.

Doppler Cooling Cone should probably say: "deals all hero targets (H) minus 1 cold damage each" or "deals each hero target (H) minus 1 cold damage."

Cryo Beam says "cold damage damage."

Frozen Assets might just be nerfed against Unity, Captain Crunch, or the Sentinels. Instead of considering the hero with most cards in play, it should consider the hero with the most Ongoing and Equipment cards in play. Try: "Cold Current gains X Acquisition Tokens, where X = the number of Ongoing and Equipment cards belonging to the hero with the most of them in play."

All published cards spell out "minus" instead of using "-" in all instances. I understand if you'd prefer not to. But do notice that sometimes you have a space between the (H) and the - and sometimes you miss that space.

In the quote bubble of Frozen Assets, you misspelled "All your base are belong to us!"

Flat,

Thanks again for taking a look at the cards. If you like this deck, I just posted one of Cold Current's partners in world wide domination (Vapyre), so take a look a that one, too.

I like a lot of what you're saying here, so I'm probably going to incorporate a bunch. I especially like your idea on the team villain card creating a Robot deck when Cold Current is defeated. That's absolutely diabolical having them spawn again as you suggest.

For the Sublimation Screen card, mechanically, your idea is great. But I think there's a thematic difference between what I'm thinking and you are that I'll clarify. The screen is a fog he's producing from his suit, which acts as a cloak type of screen (shield, hide, disguise). I think the screen you're thinking is a filter.

So because I'm seeing the Screen as a defensive cloak style card, that's why I designed it to do what it does. Whereas the robots are the offensive style cards that go out and find the good stuff.

There's nothing wrong with your idea, and I could certainly put it into the screen card and just re-imagine it as a dual-purpose technology. However, what you're suggesting would probably better fit the T-CAM, which is his technological capability and assessment monocle. That card could easily do the 'discard one-shot' junk and then I could move the healing portion from it to the Screen to better fit it's concept as a defensive measure.

Not sure what I'll do with that robot's secondary effect then. I'll have to take a look and figure it out.

I'll update this deck again today / tomorrow with your suggestions and my interpretations once I've had some time to digest everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Ok, based on your feedback, Flat, here's what I'm looking at for these 3 cards to satisfy your mechanics and my thematics:

1) Sublimation Screen
At the start of the villain turn, all villain targets regain 1 HP.

Provides broad heal to all villain targets as this is a defensive card that provides cover under which they can heal up.

While under cover, Cold Current can summon more bots, deploy more tech, or attack.

2) T-CAM
Whenever Cold Current would gain any acquisition tokens, increase that number by 1.

No change other than trimmed a couple words for fitting on the card.

At the end of the villain turn, each player may discard a one-shot card or their hero cannot use any powers until the start of the next villain turn.

New addition to this card, but it fits its function as a surveillance technology. Combined with the first part he gains more tokens and enriches his chances for getting good equipment / ongoing cards once he does acquire. It's a one-two punch.

3) MK III-i Bot:
At the end of the villain turn, this card deals the hero target with the 2nd highest HP 1 projectile and 1 energy damage.

No change there... the robot tags its target for analysis.

That player reveals the top card of their deck. If it's an ongoing / equipment card, change its keyword to 'acquired' and place it beneath Cold Current's character card. Discard any other type of card.

Removes the damage component, but there's still a price to pay as the bot focuses on its mission: if it likes what it sees, it delivers it to its programmer. If it doesn't like it, it trashes it.

For the team villain card, I forgot about the 5 card removal. But after looking at the deck, I figure it'd be okay to take out 1 of each of the following:

MK III-i Bot, MK V-P Bot, Sublimation Screen, Magneto Optical Trap and Frozen Assets.

This takes away some of his damage, but he'll have villain teammates to make that up. It also takes away his bigger acquisition token gathering cards, which won't play as big a role on the team version as he only gathers the tokens for a turn to change them into damage at the end.

On the 'Apprehended' side, I'm going with your idea for the Robot Deck. Now with the above dropped cards, he'll only have 5 cards in there, but that should be good for 5 rounds or more of bots spawning and damaging surviving heroes.

The only caveat is that the change to MK III-i bots means the cards they acquire have no place really to go on the team version, especially when Cold Current himself is knocked out. But I figure that's ok as those bots will still do damage and the fact you're still 'losing' the card underneath his character card... effectively removing it from play the whole game. Although I did put in that acquired cards get destroyed when flipped to his apprehended side.

I'm considering a final edit to the MK III-I Bots where they make the hero play the revealed ongoing / equipment, but then Cold Current gets 3 acquisition tokens so he could theoretically steal the card just exposed on his next turn. That would benefit both the solo and team version of this villain, but this idea of course might help a hero and there's a conflict of what to do if the revealed card is 'limited' and in play already. That would require even more card text, which is barely fitting on that card as it is.

Anyway, here's the complete team villain card text:

Setup
At the start of the game, remove one of each of the following cards from cold Current's deck: Mk III-I Bot, MK- V-P Bot, Sublimation Screen, Magneto Optical Trap and Frozen Assets. Then, put this villain character card into play 'Corporate Raider' side up. Reveal cards from the top of Cold Current's deck until 1 'robot' and 1 'advanced tech' card are revealed. Put them into play and shuffle the other revealed cards back into his deck.

Game Play
At the start of the villain turn, place 1 acquisition token on this card for each hero equipment / ongoing card in play.
At the end of the villain turn, destroy all acquisition tokens. Each hero can either destroy an equipment / ongoing card or take 1 plus X cold damage where X equals the number of acquisition tokens destroyed.

Advanced
At the end of the villain turn, Cold Current regains HP equal to the number of acquisition tokens destroyed this turn.

Apprehended
Power: Autonomous Operation
When flipped to this side, destroy all 'acquired' cards. Then place all 'robots' from Cold Current's deck beside this card to form the 'robot deck' At the start of Cold Current's turn, play the top card of the 'robot deck'.

All other grammatical and mechanical edits were made to match your suggestions with minor exceptions. Updated the PDF file links for you to check out those changes.

Of note, I didn't put quotes on the bots' quotes as those were excerpts from computer files on Dark Current's computer and not verbalized. I've gone ahead and put single quotes around them to specify.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dsmail wrote:

I'm not sure if you're putting me down or not, but if so I'd argue that this is just as much art given that I'm creating something new using a novel medium. And it's taken me more hours than I can count to put together each deck.

But regardless, I'm enjoying putting these cards together and if some of you like what I'm posting that's even better.

Oh no, I'm not putting you down at all! I'm so sorry if it came across that way. Being a custom Hero creator myself and having spent countless hours designing costumes on CoH, Champions Online, and others like them, I fully understand how much can go into creative endeavors like this.

I assumed that FlatOnHisFace had assumed you had created the artwork from scratch and was therefore surprised that no one had mention your amazing talent as an artist.

Now what you have done definitely takes creative skill and is without a doubt artistic. Just a different kind than what people like Tosx do.

I do enjoy seeing other people's customs and the ones with already done up cards are even better. So, again, sorry if I came across negatively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
EmperorEternal wrote:
dsmail wrote:

Oh no, I'm not putting you down at all! I'm so sorry if it came across that way. Being a custom Hero creator myself and having spent countless hours designing costumes on CoH, Champions Online, and others like them, I fully understand how much can go into creative endeavors like this.

I assumed that FlatOnHisFace had assumed you had created the artwork from scratch and was therefore surprised that no one had mention your amazing talent as an artist.

Now what you have done definitely takes creative skill and is without a doubt artistic. Just a different kind than what people like Tosx do.

I do enjoy seeing other people's customs and the ones with already done up cards are even better. So, again, sorry if I came across negatively.

Yeah, thanks. I'm definitely not drawing everything from scratch, but even using Icon as a starting point requires hours of hand-customizing the images from there. As you know, it isn't as simple as point - click - post. I wish it was!

Anyway, my cards just got here today from Printerstudio.com and they look awesome if I don't mind saying so. Still a little too dark, but that's on their end. Their customer relations guy told me to bump up the brightness 20% next time. Um... how about you up the brightness of your printing if you know they're dark?

I'll post some pics this week, so you guys can check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I think you'll both agree that no-one would claim that a traditional illustrator doesn't deserve merit because the picture was in the crayon all along and he just smeared it across the paper until it came out. Or maybe a better example is that Poe doesn't deserve credit as an artist for the poem The Raven because all the words were already in the dictionary and he just picked which of them to use and how they should appear on the page. What you've created is no less art than anyone else, so I'm quite surprised no-one has expressed appreciation for it. Even your target's HP backings look awesome. There's a lot of good detail here.

Sublimation Screen has an extra period.

On the Predator Chassis, the flavor text has a typo in "cannon".

Please fix Cold Current's name on the back of the team card, under Autonomous Operation.

I didn't notice at first that the Robot's model number was their HP. Nice touch!

This looks really cool. I hope to play it this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I think you'll both agree that no-one would claim that a traditional illustrator doesn't deserve merit because the picture was in the crayon all along and he just smeared it across the paper until it came out. Or maybe a better example is that Poe doesn't deserve credit as an artist for the poem The Raven because all the words were already in the dictionary and he just picked which of them to use and how they should appear on the page. What you've created is no less art than anyone else, so I'm quite surprised no-one has expressed appreciation for it. Even your target's HP backings look awesome. There's a lot of good detail here.

Sublimation Screen has an extra period.

On the Predator Chassis, the flavor text has a typo in "cannon".

Please fix Cold Current's name on the back of the team card, under Autonomous Operation.

I didn't notice at first that the Robot's model number was their HP. Nice touch!

This looks really cool. I hope to play it this week.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the deck's design.

I'll fix those last couple errors you caught and update them later today. I caught the double period yesterday, but didn't notice the other two typos. I just about have the final versions of the cards to re-upload, but I'll wait to see if you get a chance to play this weekend to include any mechanical changes you might suggest.

Yes, the bots' designations are a combo of their HP and function, so the MK III-i has 3 HP and is the Infiltrator Chassis. I figured it was a systematic approach that someone with an engineering mind like Dr. Edward Alva would have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.