John Weismann
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I am looking for collaboraters on a project.

I basically want to put together a unified ruleset that takes the campaign systems from WoA and ToEE, as well as the best of the fan created campaign systems and put them in a single document, along with the published rules and optional fan-created rules.

One thing I want to include is the ability for players to make their own characters, and level those characters up as the campaign progresses.

Let me be clear that what I do NOT want to do is try to turn it into an RPG or add additional complexity to the system.

The one-roll mechanic and simplicity of this game are perfect.

My players simply want to be able to create their own characters and level them up over the course of a campaign, while I use different combinations of tiles and cards to create themed dungeons.

I would love any input, or to find collaborators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bárta
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very nice plan - but I am not sure if I will have time for anything besides some help and ideas.

The first thing you will have to consider is the type of campaign style as ToEE and WoA have rather different approaches to campaign (items, gold). I haven't played WoA yet, but there is enough information all around. In WoA, defeating Monsters provides you with a Treasure token (33 total, 5× Treasure (= in WoA item), 9× 100gp, 11× 200gp, 5× 300gp, 2× 400gp, 1× 500gp). No Fortunes or Blessings in the Treasure deck and the items in the treasure deck are very strong when compared to ToEE. After the adventure, you can buy some items in the village for gold - there are some buy prices (user-created) for other AD&D AS games including ToEE. If I recall correctly, you may not sell items (and don't want to, either).

In ToEE, there is 100gp treasure card 16 times in the starting Treasure deck (30 cards, 4 are "useless" Fortunes, 10 are items worth 300gp when sold). After the adventure, no items can be bought in the village, but you can level up for 1000gp or buy the Advancement tokens.
If you choose the WoA approach and want to use Advancement tokens, you must scale their price up, because average gp gain per defeated Monster is ~178gp in WoA and ~53gp in ToEE (~156gp including sold items).
Moreover, if you use treasure tokens, where do you put these "nice" fortunes or blessings from CoR, ToEE, LoD? If you would draw an item from the Treasure token and the card you get is a Fortune, you won't be happy.

Both variants are possible, but probably incompatible. You have to choose.

Ad characters - Ninjadorg created leveling tables for standard characters:
http://ratdorg.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/dungeons-and-dragons-a...
Each level-up gives the Hero +1AC, +2HP, +1 Surge value and one additional power (Daily, Utility, At-Will and Daily again). The starting values are variable - Speed is usually 5 for small / slow characters (dwarves, halflings, dragonborn), 6 for others, 7 for very fast characters (Drizzt, ?monk?). There are many and many custom characters - somebody will surely provide the links.

Ad mixing tiles / cards - do you want to use Monster tokens from CoR even for the ToEE tiles, which have 0-3 Monster icons on themselves? 3-Monster token + black triangle = very bad situation. I have attempted to solve this by assigning varying numbers of Monsters to tiles from other Adventure System games (beside ToEE). The statistical distribution is based on ToEE and colour of the triangles. This is in the form of cards ("Tile Cards", not yet sent to BGG), which can be shuffled very easily and can incorporate all tile sources (all 4 AS games, possibly even Dungeon Command or other compatible tiles). If you want, I can submit it to BGG.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ritter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was working on creating more advancement tokens used in Temple of Elemental Evil. I was looking at it as this is most recent edition of rules, and I liked how clean it was, without making a ton of new rules. We had fun with it, but that was earlier in year. If you're interested in using this as your leveling system, Let me know, and I'd be interested in helping. There's an old post here somewhere that I listed the advancement tokens we created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weismann
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the help guys!

As far as advancement, I wanted for it to more or less continue without stopping, but one you get all 12 cards (or a total of 12, if mixing) for it to slow down alot...

I wanted it to include the special tokens included in TOEE, but also grant Power Cards and HP.

I'm okay with AC advances, as long as it taps out around 20.

I will definately have to give a closer look to TOEE vs WOA campaign rules, and I was always a big fan of Ninjadorg's event cards between adventures as well. They add alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bárta
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to slow down the advancement tokens gain after some time, you may impose some limit. Don't forget that you may not obtain these tokens unless you are level 2. As a variant for more levels, you may not purchase more than 1 token of the same type (or maybe e.g. any 2 of the tokens) on the second level. Then, on the third level, more than 2 tokens of the same type (or 3/4 tokens in total) and so on. Each token costs consecutively more (arithmetic progression, +100gp cost), so there is an inherent slowing down. Of course, you may increase the costs of 7th+ tokens by higher amount (i.e. 5=900gp, 6=1000gp, 7=1200gp ...).

Ninjadorg's leveling seems great, but for ToEE the levelling was changed (level 2 costs 1000gp instead of 5XP + natural 20). It is hard to combine both
I love the idea of campaign and room events for D&D AS games as well! The changes in the ToEE Encounter & Monster & Treasure decks durign the campaign are also great, but rather limited (very small changes). That is why I added some manipulation with these decks into my custom room event deck for ToEE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not yet found a satisfactory way to incorporate the new campaign elements from ToEE into our existing campaign system - it was just so different from what we were expecting what with the strange tokens instead of just continued levelling. And whilst it works pretty well for the ToEE adventures I'll be going back to our 'regular' campaign/levelling/events mode in future. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sethan
msg tools
Well, to be able to create your own characters there needs to be an understanding of where the "base" stats would be and how you would handle the availability of what classes there are.

As of right now I think there's basically five which reoccur: Wizard, Rogue, Fighter, Cleric, and Ranger. Anything outside of those classes aren't represented well, from what I recall. There are also at least three classes which are unique to specific characters: Swashbuckler (Jarlaxle), Battlerager (Athrogate), and Assassin (Artemis).

And as noted earlier, the campaign methods of WoA and ToEE differ considerably in mechanics as well as tone. You may choose to supercede one over the other, depending on your desire . . . or come up with a third/someone else comes up with a third option.

I play the full RPG so I have a framework to fall back into if I want depth. I have actually been considering a method of using the Adventure System games as well as a minimum of book work to run a really light campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolyo Kostov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe using the new advancement tokens in the old fanmade campaign system but discard them after use. So every player would have the opportunity to buy these tokens between every mission.

The problem would be the proper pricing. If we take the Lucky Charm (Reroll 1 dice roll) Item price (600gp if I remember correctly) and use it for the first reroll token(400gp). We can also put the price in XP. Something like 100gp=1xp. So for example first reroll token would cost 4xp, the second 5 xp and so on.

Or use the token system instead of the fanmade campaign leveling, double the xp price and don't discard the tokens but keep them.

But maybe this would make the game too easy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the tokens are just another additionally Daily/Utility. So, just let's make cards for them and integrate them in the leveling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bárta
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Actually, the tokens are just another additionally Daily/Utility. So, just let's make cards for them and integrate them in the leveling.

Well, funny that you mention that, because AerynB created her own modification of Ninjadorg's levelling system, where the Heroes get one or two of these advancement tokens on specific levels. See more in these threads (the latter being older):
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1531663
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1527833

In the Ninjadorg's campaign system, the idea that e.g. Recharge token is euivalent to a Daily Power is good, but maybe underpowered for other tokens. Utility Power equivalent? That would work for Heal 2HP, Reroll and +1 HP damage, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.