Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Comparision of two Cool minis or Not games: Blood Rage vs Dogs of War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K Lang
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed playing Dogs of War by C.M.O.N. and it looks like Blood Rage also has elements of area control, negotiation and card driven combat that I enjoyed in Dogs but with a heafty price tag.
Has anyone played both games and feel they are similar? Is it worth having both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and I like both!

This will probably be unpopular, but I think I like Dogs of War better. Have played both 3 times. I really like the social tension in Dogs of War, and Blood Rage feels more like a mathy optimization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They share very little in terms of play style or feel--unsurprisingly, as they were developed by entirely different people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in the small minority that Blood Rage, while good is not great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
I own both and I like both!

This will probably be unpopular, but I think I like Dogs of War better. Have played both 3 times. I really like the social tension in Dogs of War, and Blood Rage feels more like a mathy optimization.

Agreed. Dogs of War is one of my favorite games and would definitely choose it over Blood Rage most times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Lang
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the swift input. DOW was one our gaming groups most memorable gaming sessions. As someone else already mentioned it's agonizing and deliciously tense right up to the final moments.

I just felt that the DOW miniatures, while detailed and well done, didn't inspire me quite as much as the awesome Blood Rage miniatures. Having never done any miniature painting before I'm now seriously considering picking up the paintbrush and learning how to do justice to the Sea serpent, Troll and Giants monsters models!

Anyway I'm hoping with the right group (and some suitable viking battle soundtrack)we'll be able to create another great gaming session to remember. If not there's always my copy of Cyclades Titans to scratch the euro/ameritrash hybrid itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh fun! Well, if you want to get them for the painting, these are certainly great minis to paint. And if great sculpts alone can make a game thematic for your group, then you'll probably love it.

That said... yeah Cyclades: Titans is one of my favorite games ever. I like both that and DoW better than BR.

That might have something to do with how I felt about Kemet, as well. Kemet felt a little more like lifeless optimization (like BR), as opposed to the very tense & social DoW and Cyclades. Maybe its the maps? Both Kemet and Blood Rage have extremely symmetrical maps and tons of jumping around. The lack of a feeling of distance & space make the maps feel almost pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played quite a bit of Blood Rage and absolutely love it, and while I haven't played DoW yet, I've watched enough of its gameplay to get a sense of it. As mentioned above, the games are fairly dissimilar.

DoW seems to have a fair bit of negotiation and backstabbery, which isn't really the case with Blood Rage, which is a more straightforward area control game.

While both games have combats that are essentially resolved by unit strength modified by cardplay, how you get there is very different. The heart of Blood Rage is developing a strategy through a card draft. Quests give hidden victory point conditions, upgrades to units, leaders and the like improve the quality of your forces and battle cards affect the battles.

The three rounds of Blood Rage give an enormous sense of escalation. Many of the cards you play and choices you make offer a tradeoff between reward now or reward later. Whether to pursue a short term reward or play for the long haul, or which of several paths to victory to pursue are the choices of Blood Rage - I've seen almost no negotiation in any of the games I've played.

Blood Rage also has a geographical board element that's not there in DoW, though you could say that it's similar in that you're choosing which battles to get involved in or not, and sometimes you get involved in a battle you know you won't win in order to get some other reward.

Blood Rage also has an extremely clean rules system - it's not fiddly or confusing at all. I sense something similar in DoW. And like DoW and many CMON games, the production values are off the charts.

I would give Blood Rage a shot if you like drafting and area control games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both games, and although I do think Dogs of War is a better game, I believe the games are dissimilar enough that owning both is worthwhile.

Others have pointed out some of the ways the game differs. I will say that what Dogs of War does that is missing from Blood Rage is it creates an interesting social dynamic of temporary alliances and exciting betrayals where great intrigue is present until the bitter (or sweet, depending upon your perspective) end.

Blood Rage, on the other hand, offers compelling card play through drafting, which is (at least for me) the core mechanic and arguably most significant factor in the game.

Again though, the games are so very different that comparing the two really isn't very easy. There are more dissimilarities than similarities between the games, in my humble opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo I should finally have my Blood Rage tomorrow. And soon after, Kemet Ta-Seti! So those are the games I'll be comparing soon. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I like both almost equally to the point really I don't which one I prefer. They have a lost of differences though.

I would say the retail version of dogs of war is missing several good things, like the order of battle cards and 4 more houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
4 more Captains (not houses)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.