Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting for some time now for Dawn of the Zeds 3rd Edition and expecting it to come out fairly soon. Recent information however, seem to indicate that it might still be another few months

So, I'm feeling a bit impatient and with Cruel Necessity being on sale for 25% off right now in the holiday sale, I'm wondering whether it might be worth picking up.

I still expect Zeds to be my main game, so in a sense I'm kind of thinking of this as a "stopgap", but I'm also interested to hear whether it offers any unique features that would make it worth being in rotation with Zeds once I've got both games, OR even whether there's another released games in the States of Siege series that would be better in such a role. I should also note that I'm not a history buff, nor do I know anything about this particular conflict. I have played a lot of minis wargames, but generally with fantasy or sci-fi settings rather than historical military.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and comparisons - thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Cruel Necessity to be a fantastic recreation of the English Civil Wars, the game is quite thematic and has a lot of interesting decisions. However, if you're not interested in the history, I think I would recommend holding out for Zeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried Cruel Necessity in the past two weeks and found it to be immersive, challenging and historically interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Dawn of the Zeds but have thoroughly enjoyed Cruel Necessity. It is a lot of fun although very frustrating. I have not done very well but that has not deterred me from playing again and again.

If you are thinking about it and enjoy the historical aspect of it, then definitely get it.

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pulled up the English Civil War page on wikipedia, I'll give it a read and see how interesting it sounds. I'm open to other overview links too if you think there's a better one.

It's strange to say, but if this game was about the battle of Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, or even playing Saruman's defense against the Ents attacking Isengard, I'd be all over it. Somehow real-world history seems less interesting, or maybe I just don't know enough about the events to be drawn into them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Check part 1 of my CN series to get a brief overview of the history. I love it. I also love DotZeds and managed a 3rd edition preview. The Zeds are more theatrical; CN has more dimensions mechanically (with its Achievement cards and tactical Battle board). Both are on my top 20 list, so it will of course come down to personal preference. Check out my films and I hope they help.

Best wishes, Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
It's strange to say, but if this game was about the battle of Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, or even playing Saruman's defense against the Ents attacking Isengard, I'd be all over it. Somehow real-world history seems less interesting, or maybe I just don't know enough about the events to be drawn into them...
For me, my curiosity of the English Civil Wars was whet after playing Cruel Necessity. The game is definitely more interesting with a better understanding of the history behind it. Besides wikipedia searches, I started by listening the Revolutions podcast which started with the English Civil Wars:

http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/2013/09/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you get Cruel Necessity, please share your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
Check part 1 of my CN series to get a brief overview of the history.

Thanks, I will certainly do so.

ricky2002 wrote:
The Zeds are more theatrical; CN has more dimensions mechanically (with its Achievement cards and tactical Battle board). Both are on my top 20 list

I'm sure it's a very good game, I think what I'm trying to figure out is more whether it's worthwhile having two States of Siege games or not. The battle board sounds interesting, but unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem like you really get to make choices to influence how the battles turn out other than occasionally choosing where to put a +/-1 token you get from a battle event. Is this correct? The idea of getting to control your troops in battle is definitely appealing.

HitchKennedy wrote:
If you get Cruel Necessity, please share your thoughts.

Of course! However, my thoughts will probably have to come in two parts. One up front, and then an update after I get Dawn of the Zeds so I can compare the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.