Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have an interesting question (to me at least). Do you think the loud gamer has an advantage during any game session, or the quiet one?

Here's my brief story explaining my question,
So we were playing a game of small world, one of my buddies was roaring with laughter and then suddenly it happened,,, someone attacked him, and they attacked him hard. He suddenly became very quiet and although not a poor sport (no complaining/mean words) everybody noticed the abrupt change in attitude, the result no one attacked him for 3 turns!! I believe this was due to eveyones desire to just "have fun" (he won after everybody leaving him alone).

But it led me to an interesting question,, how big of a role does social engagement play in winning/losing games??

I've noticed in some games (especially area control games) a noisy person pointing out another players upcoming "surprise attack" can really give an advantage to the noisy player while a quiet guy won't point out "look what he's doing guys". somtimes being loud bites people in the butt, but I've found usually it gives them a advantage, (especially with new players because they tend to be looking for advice on how to play). What do you guys think? And have you seen this as much as I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The odd person out in this regard tends to have the advantage, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Fox
United States
Cairo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this is a fantastic question!

If I could answer based just on my wife (quiet) and me (loud) she wins 60% of the time, so I would say her.

Though I feel the real answer would really depend on the group dynamic. In area control style games, a lot of the time, people will come after me, just to see my reaction to the situation. I am a big, animated person when I am enjoying myself in a game. So when I get attack for little reason ("hey they are stronger than me") I usually will put on a "show" act all upset and frustrated... but nothing comes of it.

I have never noticed if this threw a game or not, because a lot of the time... if I point out someone is stronger than I am, but I am still getting attacked, I will change my play to make sure I get the person that is stronger back down to size.

I know that isn't much of an answer, but I know next time I am playing with my group... and we are playing small world, or eternal dynasty, or something that has us all head to head I will check this all out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless everyone is being loud (because they are having fun), I find a loud player to be annoying. I do not think it affects winning or losing in any significant way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Smith
United States
Andover
Kansas
flag msg tools
GET OVER HERE!
badge
Who the @#&% was that?
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have that guy in my group, if anyone attacked him he would whine loudly about it so much and start to get very angry so that people would leave him alone. He won a lot because of it and was not shy about being smug/ a poor winner. I eventually just started calling him out on it every game and that evolved into me just aiming to tank him every game regardless of harm to me which really pissed him off. I remember making him rage quit several games, once at his own house he just left and went upstairs, lol. Suffice to say we don't play games together anymore and I am not sad about that (he was also known to cheat). Good riddance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rage quit in ur own home!!! Lol priceless,,, ohh wow that's funny. Once my friend said that the way he would win was going to the bathroom when it was an important turn (he was about to be attacked) then in a casual game sometimes the player will attack the other players in order to "keep the game moving" now I always tease him and tell him somebody will roll for him if he's not there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

correlation =/= causation

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I observe that in multi-player free-for-all games, the player who complains the most stridently betters his chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

~V

I may seem dumb for asking but what do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the game and play group, being able to manage the social environment can provide a huge advantage. Someone who is a competitive player and skilled at this will be noisy when/if it is to that player's advantage and quiet when/if it is to that player's advantage.

I am not skilled at this, but I have definitely observed this skill in others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
The quieter I get in a game, the more I am winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game. A loud player has SOME advantages and some disadvantages in Werewolf or Coup (or most other social deduction games) but a single loud player (as an odd man out) often appears to be empowered and thus everyone would be led to believe he/she should be singled out for screwage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinT1 wrote:
Veero wrote:

~V

I may seem dumb for asking but what do you mean?

No worries.

It means that just because two things seem related (e.g. a louder player is winning more often: correlation), that doesn't in any way mean that one causes the other.

There are other possible influencing circumstances that'd need to be isolated to determine which ones actually contribute to the louder player winning.

For instance, what if the other player had a better understanding of the game being played, or was better at the strategy, or quicker than the other players to put together a strategy, or just got lucky with card draws or dice rolls..? There are too many other factors not tested and accounted for. Until that happens, there is still a significant possibility that the loudness of a player has absolutely nothing to do with their odds in winning even if s/he wins very frequently.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on the game. I have a loud roommate who charismas out wins all the time in Cosmic Encounter. He just gets all the other suckers around the table to help him win...and I call him out on it all the time, trying to knock him off his game/get everyone to see what he's doing. It drives me nuts...but then again, I have another roommate who is really quiet and he seems to do better at the war games...the games where you can prepare and make really big moves near the end. It's like, we see what he's doing and don't care because there is another loud player completely taking the attention off him (Not me)...so yeah...I think it just depends on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depends on the group and game...

We have a group of friends who usually play and if it is a known game, etc. we're all loud.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know the person, then you know better to believe the guy who's loudly complaining he's losing while he's setting up a big last round. Or you know that you need to pay attention to Matt even though he's sitting quietly hoping no one will notice he's banked a lot of hidden points.

How people behave around the table rarely gives you reliable information about the game state. It's much better to pay attention to their actions in the game and the information that's publicly available in-game and evaluate the situation rather than be taken in by their demeanor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I yell at people until they quit and run away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The loudest players in Bohnanza definitely have an advantage during the trading phase. However, the quiet players are often more capable of long-term strategy and careful planning - of course, this isn't because they're quiet, though it certainly may be related. It's more a of a personality issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
are we being loud for no reason? I have been 'loud' in Kemet and steered conflict away from myself. I have been quiet in Sheriff of Nottingham and amassed a huge pile of contraband before anyone noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my gaming group the loud people have usually had a few drinks so they aren't necessarily paying a lot of attention to what everyone else is doing unless it will directly impact them in the next few turns. Personally, being quiet works well. I'm often ignored while subtly building strength and preparing for a bold maneuver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, well I think it would depend on the game and the players involved. Generally speaking, the person who is loud at my table does not necessarily win. They are always loud (even when not gaming) and often spends a lot of time talking about non-game-related things. Me, I'm in the game and the more focused I am the quieter I get unless I am trying to strategize for a co-op game, then I'll talk more.

Whiny gamers I do not care for. My methods of PvP gaming are 'go for the most powerful' or 'everybody gets some'. In either case, I don't game vindictively so there's no reason in my mind for the player to get upset with me. I will continue to game as I have been.

What I DO see that frequently influences the sway of PvP games at my table is players trying to manipulate others. I wouldn't say they are loud in this case. But they may be talkative as they like to convince others to go after someone else for them so that they can build up their forces in the shadows while everyone is distracted. If a person being targeted remains silent in this case, rather than trying to create a counter-case for why others shouldn't gang up on them, they usually lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the game I think. I am often very loud and laughing at others misfortune which very often leads to people ganging up on me. I sometimes play with very soar losers, so if most of the aggression is directed towards me everyone seem to have a better time. I don't mind it at all - and it only makes the wins all the sweeter!

I do think that quiet people - and especially quiet people who has a hard time dealing with defeat has an advantage as you'd often attack the most provoking or confrontational player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool question/thread. It made me realize that my playgroup has a bit of an unwritten rule 'no sore winners or losers, and no manipulating people outside of in-game bluffing/deception moves'.

Outside of that, we don't really appreciate 'loud' behaviour in general anyway. We're all laid back people and we want our gaming to be laid back too.
(That's not to say we just sit there not talking or laughing at all, mind. We do that.)

Thinking about it though, I guess I sometimes give myself away because I'm the easy to read kindof guy.
When I get real quiet it means I'm in one of two extreme situations: either I'm completely screwed and my brain is racing trying to find a way out, or I'm on the verge of a glorious win and I'm triple-checking if I missed some possible screw-ups. This is often a bit of a clue for other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't noticed that it matters one way or the other. I do know I personally have very low tolerance for poor losers and especially poor winners - they are worse in my book. In the example given in the op, I would pull the pouter aside and have a gentle and tactful talk with him. That is just outright childish and everyone backing off and letting him win played right into his tantrum and did him no favors. Because believe me, even though he did not complain, his abrupt and prolonged silence was a complaint in itself. An outright tantrum. No way should he have been left unattacked for three rounds. Not to be a strict disciplinarian, but we're all adults and that behavior is not cool. I admit it can be extremely disheartening to get blown away in a game, but facing and trying to overcome superior players and tactics is the best way to improve your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.