Subject: Game play using Apples to Apples card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group and I have been using Apples to Apples word cards instead of the Codenames word cards. This works real well. Just as good and in some cases better.

Lots of fun.

Anyone else done this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
tracksiter wrote:
My group and I have been using Apples to Apples word cards instead of the Codenames word cards. This works real well. Just as good and in some cases better.

Lots of fun.

Anyone else done this?

while i believe it would work, you likely have higher odds of the game setup strongly dictating which team should win. Due to the cards chosen in the main game, there is some wiggle room because many words are chosen due to multiple meanings or usages, which means more words are related. When it is near impossible to relate a bunch of words, it becomes a game of who got lucky enough to have really related words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tracksiter wrote:

Lots of fun.

Anyone else done this?

I'm not really familiar with the types of words in Apples to Apples. Can you explain why it is advantageous to use them with Codenames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tracksiter wrote:

Anyone else done this?

Until they could get their copy of Codenames, my previous game group used cards from Snake Oil, and they seemed to love it.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

I'm not really familiar with the types of words in Apples to Apples. Can you explain why it is advantageous to use them with Codenames?

One advantage is that you don't need Codenames to play it. The other is diversity of words and phrases. Apples to Apples has phrases as well as people fictional or otherwise. As I said we get more laughs out of using the Apples to Apples words.

Several of us do own the game. We just got curious one day and now it's the word set we use when we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tracksiter wrote:
grant5 wrote:

One advantage is that you don't need Codenames to play it. The other is diversity of words and phrases. Apples to Apples has phrases as well as people fictional or otherwise. As I said we get more laughs out of using the Apples to Apples words.

Several of us do own the game. We just got curious one day and now it's the word set we use when we play.

Ok, thanks for explaining. Have you tried the Dixit variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I used A-2-A cards before I got the actual game. I only used one word cards, works pretty good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try using Cards Against Humanity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
tracksiter wrote:
grant5 wrote:

Ok, thanks for explaining. Have you tried the Dixit variant?

We'll have to give that a try. It should be tons of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
try using Cards Against Humanity

Will also try this. Thanks for the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.